Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Most Overrated ''Old School Fighter''?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind that i'm comparing them to all the greatest boxers of all time. So I don't mean any of that in general. Just because they are overrated(i.e. SRR isn't #1 pound for pound ever, or Louis #1 HW ever. Just a little lower than what everybody else has them) doesn't mean they weren't great fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
      Keep in mind that i'm comparing them to all the greatest boxers of all time. So I don't mean any of that in general. Just because they are overrated(i.e. SRR isn't #1 pound for pound ever, or Louis #1 HW ever. Just a little lower than what everybody else has them) doesn't mean they weren't great fighters.
      Who do you rank above Louis then, as far as Heavyweight go?

Marciano?

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
        For me willie pep and benny learnard are very overrated
        How do you figure?

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
          Joe Louis is often called the greatest Heavyweight of all time. They even have him in the top 3 ATGs P4P?? That's pukingly offensive. The lad had a bum of the month club title reign, was knocked down by virtually everybody even by bums, struggled with many of his opponents including Light Heavyweights, was brutally destroyed and made to QUIT in his prime against Schmeling. Not even top 3 HW.

SRR has more losses than he has great wins. I've seen much more succesful move ups in weight than the "GOAT". His era was not as dynamic and filled with greats as other fighters like Ali, Leonard or Duran etc.
          And do tell after what age the majority of SRR's losses happened.

For me willie pep and benny learnard are very overrated
          Lol at Willie Pep, considering that half of his career was fought after an almost life ending plane wreck, and he's still considered one of the top 3 greatest defensive fighters of all time. As for Leonard, at least spell the man's name right if you're going to try and discredit him.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            How do you figure?
            people are picking robinson, monzon and joe louis, but you dont say **** all to them and want to argue with me about pep and learnard, both didnt go up in weight, and win titles, to be fair learnard tried and learnard never avenged none of his very early losses

Comment

people are picking robinson, monzon and joe louis, but you dont say **** all to them and want to argue with me about pep and learnard, both didnt go up in weight, and win titles, to be fair learnard tried and learnard never avenged none of his very early losses
              For real ; it's bull**** like this that makes me wish Cotto fans would stop coming into this section of the forum.

They're not qualified to speak on anything that doesn't involve Miguel.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                Who do you rank above Louis then, as far as Heavyweight go?

Marciano?
                Yes. And Ali obviously. Lewis and Holyfield also. Larry Holmes also had a long consistent title reign but atleast Louis didn't end up losing to light heavyweights although he was on his way. Foreman not sure, maybe if he had longer title reigns.

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                And do tell after what age the majority of SRR's losses happened.

Lol at Willie Pep, considering that half of his career was fought after an almost life ending plane wreck, and he's still considered one of the top 3 greatest defensive fighters of all time. As for Leonard, at least spell the man's name right if you're going to try and discredit him.
                He actually faced better oposition after his peak.

And so what? Wouldn't the Greatest of All time be able to adapt at his age and still beat pretty much everyone and stilld dominate? Like, I don't know, a certain Muhammad did?(Pretty much all his great wins were when he was past his prime). Or Leonard(Same goes for this lad). Or Pep(Same goes for this lad.)

Comment

[QUOTE]
                  [
                  people are picking robinson, monzon and joe louis, but you dont say **** all to them and want to argue with me about pep and learnard,/QUOTE]
                  Most anybody mentioning Louis or robinson on this board is an idiot. Slimey Limey is the perfect example. You I consider thick headed and uninformed more than I do stupid.

both didnt go up in weight, and win titles, to be fair learnard tried and learnard never avenged none of his very early losses
                  There is no way to argue with either ones resume or talent. Both fought great fighters and were dominant for years. In Leonards case not only was he dominant, but he fought in the greatest lightweight era ever Not moving p n weight meas very little with half the weightclasses of today and only one title. And one unavenged loss is minor compared to the huge wins posted.

Comment

[QUOTE=JAB5239;5597592]

There is no way to argue with either ones resume or talent. Both fought great fighters and were dominant for years. In Leonards case not only was he dominant, but he fought in the greatest lightweight era ever Not moving p n weight meas very little with half the weightclasses of today and only one title. And one unavenged loss is minor compared to the huge wins posted.
                    they are great fighters but they can still be overrated, for me pep and benny do not rank as high as robinson, armstrong, gerb, langford, dempsey, ali, learnard, duran, whitaker, chavez, monzon, burley, la motta or pac man.

Comment

[QUOTE=cotto16;5597623]
                      Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

they are great fighters but they can still be overrated, for me pep and benny do not rank as high as robinson, armstrong, gerb, langford, dempsey, ali, learnard, duran, whitaker, chavez, monzon, burley, la motta or pac man.
                      I was with you all the way up until you mentioned Pacquiao.

Pep and Leonard are leaps and bounds beyond Manny right now, IMO.

And it will probably remain that way, seeing as Manny wants to get out of boxing by 2010.

Comment

Working...
                      X