Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters who come back from embarrising defeats or bad starts to there career's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
    What do you guys think of nate campbels loss when he let robbie p have a free shot?
    Stupid, stupid move. But I was lucky enough to talk to Nate and his promoter on the phone after that and he realised and admitted what an error in judgement that was. To his credit he got his career back on track and has been better than ever.

Still, that one punch will linger in the minds of many fans for a long time. Too bad, cause the kid can really fight and that isn't a true indicator of his talent.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Stupid, stupid move. But I was lucky enough to talk to Nate and his promoter on the phone after that and he realised and admitted what an error in judgement that was. To his credit he got his career back on track and has been better than ever.

Still, that one punch will linger in the minds of many fans for a long time. Too bad, cause the kid can really fight and that isn't a true indicator of his talent.
      Poor Nate.

But hey, it's not the first time a really good professional boxer made an ill-fated decision in the ring, only to come back stronger from it.

As for the thread starter's question........

Bernard Hopkins lost his first professional fight.

Glen Johnson had some serious set backs post-Hopkins.

Emmanuel Augustus has had a serious amount of setbacks, and yet fans still regard him pretty highly. Most fans acknowledge that a lot of his "losses" were hometown decisions or flat out robberies.

Marco Antonio Barrera was written off more times than I can count.

Winky Wright's losses to Vazquez and Simon also spring to mind.

Israel Vazquez was TKO'd in his 10th professional fight by an unsung journeyman named Ulises Flores(9-6-0 at the time) who ended his career with a record of 14-12-1.

Wladimir Klitschko bounced back pretty well from his 3 TKO losses to Puritty, Sanders, and Brewster.

And these are just some of the more recent examples.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        Poor Nate.

But hey, it's not the first time a really good professional boxer made an ill-fated decision in the ring, only to come back stronger from it.

As for the thread starter's question........

Bernard Hopkins lost his first professional fight.

Glen Johnson had some serious set backs post-Hopkins.

Emmanuel Augustus has had a serious amount of setbacks, and yet fans still regard him pretty highly. Most fans acknowledge that a lot of his "losses" were hometown decisions or flat out robberies.

Marco Antonio Barrera was written off more times than I can count.

Winky Wright's losses to Vazquez and Simon also spring to mind.

Israel Vazquez was TKO'd in his 10th professional fight by an unsung journeyman named Ulises Flores(9-6-0 at the time) who ended his career with a record of 14-12-1.

Wladimir Klitschko bounced back pretty well from his 3 TKO losses to Puritty, Sanders, and Brewster.

And these are just some of the more recent examples.
        good post!!

Comment

Azumah Nelson was ko'd by Sanchez in his first title shot early on.
          Not a big set back but he became a great after it.

Comment

Mijares once lost to a guy who finished his career with a 1-47847834783487934 record.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
              Although he obviously never reached the heights as the rest of the guys that have been named, Johnny Nelson is worth mentioning.

He had a few defeats against unimpressive opposition, and was involved in a fight that many consider to be the most boring of all time, which led to him receiving hate mail and being insulted in the street.

He ended up winning a world title, defending it a bunch of times, and retiring as champion.
              Perfect example.. I'd disagree about not reaching the heights though.. I know it was only cruiser, but at one time he held 2 belts (WBO WBC) & remained undefeated for 8 years, stopping 1 or 2 tough'ns aswell.. When on top of his game, was quite electric..
              However, spot bollock on the most boring fight of all time.. The De Leon thing where no one through a punch for 12 rounds, so they awarded a draw! Death threats were a bit strong though.... But then he shouldn't have called himself "The Entertainer"

Comment

david haye against carl thompson, haye got ktfo, but hes done well since and hes gonna stuff klitschko!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Perfect example.. I'd disagree about not reaching the heights though.. I know it was only cruiser, but at one time he held 2 belts (WBO WBC) & remained undefeated for 8 years, stopping 1 or 2 tough'ns aswell.. When on top of his game, was quite electric..
                  However, spot bollock on the most boring fight of all time.. The De Leon thing where no one through a punch for 12 rounds, so they awarded a draw! Death threats were a bit strong though.... But then he shouldn't have called himself "The Entertainer"
                  Nelson never held the wbc, he was wbo champion for years

Comment

bentt lost to jones in the first

Comment

Maybe one of the greatest was Duran's comeback after Leonard. He wanted to retire, and had been thinking about it for a while anyway, but to come back after such a humiliating loss to do what he did is incredible. Aren't many that could have.

Comment

Working...
                      X