No announcement yet.

Most Intimating Heavyweight Ever???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Foreman was only 19 when he sparred with Liston (far as I know) yet its said he still couldn't back Sonny up. You need only look at my signature to find out how highly Liston thought of George though.

As far as the original question...Liston. The man never "acted" hard a day in his life. He just was.
    Liston and Foreman are very similar in the way they moved around the ring, they seemed to be incredibly strong even compared to heavier muscled opponents.

A 19 year old George however, wasn't as big or strong as later on (when he was around 217-225). Still strong though obviously. Liston had huge freaking arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
      That's just a credit to how feared and imtimating a prime Joe Louis was. He should of been mentioned much quicker on the thread.

Here's the fight in full to refresh every one mind about what Louis done to Baer.(Louis looked outstanding here) a credit to Louis's punching power here is that Bear had a very hard head and good chin, and going into this fight had never been stopped( all defeats were points or DQ'S)

Here is also a rare interview with the pair
      At times i can see why Louis had some many opponets in fear, his punching power was on a whole different level.

Every blow in Louis arsenal was perfectly thrown, nothing Louis every through was wild or sloppy. Even if Louis tryed to be wild and sloppy i dout he could of been.

His right cross was his best power punch it was short staright and threw with bad intentions it was his bread and butter. When Louis did knock fighters out with Hooks or uppercuts it wasn't often.

Comment

Originally posted by mickyward5656 View Post
        simple who in your mind was the most intimating heavyweight ever and why?

I would say Sonny Liston easy. Before Liston fought ali not many people even wanted a shot at liston. Liston was known for his art of the staredown during the refs instructions before the fight. Many people who have fought him have said that they have never been more scared in their lives during that moment, even ali said something simmilar to this. not to mention he was arguably the hardest hitter ever....
        I get the feeling that the klitschko's are fairly intimate. They get my vote.

Comment

At times i can see why Louis had some many opponets in fear, his punching power was on a whole different level.

Every blow in Louis arsenal was perfectly thrown, nothing Louis every through was wild or sloppy. Even if Louis tryed to be wild and sloppy i dout he could of been.

His right cross was his best power punch it was short staright and threw with bad intentions it was his bread and butter. When Louis did knock fighters out with Hooks or uppercuts it wasn't often.
          People remember the right because it was the payoff punch. He had a number of guys out with the hook and just finished them off with the right. Frightening puncher: He hurt you everytime he touched you. Combine that kind of power with fast hands, straight, precise, ACCURATE punching, and you have someone who could have left a trail of dead bodies in his wake if he had had the attitude of a young George Foreman. As it was, Louis didn't look to destroy just get the job done and go home. The thing that really frightend opponents was that in the ring Louis wore an expressionless, emotionless mask: As if he were a machine and not human at all. That was unnerving for opponents.

Poet
          Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Comment

I rarely hear Louis's name put on this type of list but I agree because intimidation has more to do with what you know the opponent is capable of doing to you more than his appearance. I ask the same question when people try to discredit Tyson solely on saying his wins were all from intimidation. So I ask: why would bigger Men, Men looking down to a 18-22 year old, 5'11, 215 pound fighter have to be scared of?

Here's Joe Louis:

Some also over-look when Louis pulled his punches far back how much power he could unload. Some just look at the short, precise, power punches because he threw more of those and they were devastating.

Last edited by Benny Leonard; 04-08-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
                I rarely hear Louis's name put on this type of list but I agree because intimidation has more to do with what you know the opponent is capable of doing to you more than his appearance. I ask the same question when people try to discredit Tyson solely on saying his wins were all from intimidation. So I ask: why would bigger Men, Men looking down to a 18-22 year old, 5'11, 215 pound fighter have to be scared of?

People also over-look when Louis pulled his punches far back how much power he could unload. Many just look at the short, precise, power punches because he threw more of those and they were devastating.
                Personally, if I had to fight one of them Louis would probably be the most likely to intimidate me. I would seriously question whether I would even be alive the next day.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  People remember the right because it was the payoff punch. He had a number of guys out with the hook and just finished them off with the right. Frightening puncher: He hurt you everytime he touched you. Combine that kind of power with fast hands, straight, precise, ACCURATE punching, and you have someone who could have left a trail of dead bodies in his wake if he had had the attitude of a young George Foreman. As it was, Louis didn't look to destroy just get the job done and go home. The thing that really frightend opponents was that in the ring Louis wore an expressionless, emotionless mask: As if he were a machine and not human at all. That was unnerving for opponents.

Poet
                  Louis's expression would be the same reading a book as it would doing battle in the Prize Ring, he was that type of person and that freaked alot of fighters out, all sorts probaly ran thorugh the fighters head like ''Has this guy got emotions etc''

Louis is one if not the most accurate punchers of all time, his timing was perfect and timing can play a huge role in getting a KO victory, alot of fighters have power put lack timing to get there shots off and hit the opponet with power punch at the right time.

What a fighter Joe Louis was.

Comment

Louis's expression would be the same reading a book as it would doing battle in the Prize Ring, he was that type of person and that freaked alot of fighters out, all sorts probaly ran thorugh the fighters head like ''Has this guy got emotions etc''

Louis is one if not the most accurate punchers of all time, his timing was perfect and timing can play a huge role in getting a KO victory, alot of fighters have power put lack timing to get there shots off and hit the opponet with power punch at the right time.

What a fighter Joe Louis was.
                    In his prime he was called "The Perfect Fighting Machine". I think it's no secret Louis is my all-time favorite fighter.

Poet

Comment

I know this may sound out of the blue, but is it just me or do Joe Louis's fist/hand look like one of the biggest fist's you have ever saw? Wow unbelivable, as he stands next to Henry Armstrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X