No announcement yet.

Stanley Ketchel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley Ketchel

Very very intresting character indeed! I was reading a new article about him the other day (**** all new in it tho) where it suggested they should make a movie on him and i cant agree more!

BTW when does this Joe Louis movie ive been hearing about come out or the new Tyson one? I mean in the UK

I was curious how hard people think Ketchel hit, who's power would u compare his with today?

I saw that article in Boxing Monthly. It would make for an interesting movie for sure.

Ketchel hit hard enough to knock Jack Johnson down. Can you imagine Pavlik or Abraham doing that to Klitchko? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
      I saw that article in Boxing Monthly. It would make for an interesting movie for sure.

Ketchel hit hard enough to knock Jack Johnson down. Can you imagine Pavlik or Abraham doing that to Klitchko? I think not.
      Klitchko? Actually yeah Glass jawed f.aggot! lol

Seriously tho even considering the smaller size of heavys back then it shows real power regardless of what happened after the KD.

U think he hits harder than Pavlik then yes?

And yeah ur right it was in Boxing Monthly, i get it religiously along with boxing weekly and usually a very late copy of Ring! Whatever happened to KO and that other one Uppercut?

Comment

I'm not saying he hits harder then Pavlik, as comparing fighters 100 years apart is difficult from the difference in training, conditioning, diets to punching techniques, but he did have a high KO ratio considering the amount of fights he had in a short time period, although some opponents are questionable as many early fights were against very unexperienced fighters.

Also, you read the exact same mags as me. I pick up anything boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
          Also, you read the exact same mags as me. I pick up anything boxing.
          Ur a Boxing Junkie like me man!
          Boxing sound brutal back then but in reality for them to do all those rounds it shows u the style was so different - more clinching/wrestling and much more posing and posturing!

U no idea when the Louis movie comes out then man?

Comment

is there any other footage of ketchel apart from the johnson fight?

Comment

He's slightly bigger but watching the Johnson fight I think his style and power reminds me of a raw Nigel Benn ! If you ever seen early Nigel Benn fights he was wild with devasting power !

Comment

HI HO BRO,I KNOW, IF THE BLOW GOES WITH THE FLO, A BIG GUY WILL GO,ASS FIRST IN THE SNOW.
                OK I THINK I,M ALRIGHT NOW.I HAD AN OLD TRAINER FROM ENGLAND CHARLEY PEDDLINGHAM.HE CLAIMS ANY ONE CAN BE PUT DOWN OR OUT IF THE PUNCH IS PLACED RIGHT AND WHERE IT HITS.
                YOU WOULD NOT THINK A man can ko a mule.it was done in the 1800,s TO PROMOTE
                FIGHTERS.WITH THE KNOWLEDGE WERE TO HIT AND HOW THEY COULD DO IT.
                A CANADIAN TOMMY BURNS FROM CANADA HELD THE HEAVY WEIGHT TITTLE UNTIL HE WAS DEFEATED BY JACK JOHNSON.TOMMY HAD HIS SHARE OF K.O.,S HE WAS 5'7"AND
                FOUGHT HEAVY WEIGHTS.HIS WEIGHT WAS 160 TO 165 THEY DID NOT ADVERTIZE IT
                WHEN HE FOUGHT LIGHTER THAN THAT CAUSE IT WOULD AFFECT THE GATE AND BETTING .AT MCRORIES GYM IN HAMILTON ONTARIO.I WAS LATE GEARING UP FOR SOME SPARRING AND MILTS SON ASKED IF I WOULD DO SOME WORK WITH ONE OF THE FIGHTERS THAT TRAINED THERE WHEN THEY HAD FIGHTS IN T.O. OR HAMILTON.THIS LITTLE HISPANIC FELLOW WAS TO BE MY SPARING PARTNER HE WAS 108 lbs.AND 5'3'
                I WAS STILL IN FAIRLY GOOD SHAPE BUT NOT 100%DUE TO MOVING CITIES AND JOINING
                A NEW GYM.I WAS 140 5'7".THIS LITTLE GUY WAS FAST AND HE LANDED A FARE SHARE.
                HIS COACH CAME OVER AND WANTED TO PUT ON THESE LITTLE 6oZ GLOVES BECAUSE NHIS CHARGE WAS SMALL.HE STARTED HITTING ME AND AVOIDED MY PUNCHES WHICH
                DURING SPARING YOU LAY OFF.AFTER A BREAK THIS PRICK WAS DOING A GOOD JOB OF PISSING ME OFF AND I WENT AFTER HIM AFTER IT WAS CLEAR HE WAS PULLING NO PUNCHES
                HE WAS HARD TO HIT BUT IN HIS CORNER I LANDED A FEW GOOD WHACKS.I WAS ON MY ASS WHEN MCCORY CAME UP AND TOLD OF THE NEAT LITTLE SHOT I TOOK JUST UNDER MY EAR ON THE JAW.I ONLY HAD AT THE TIME 9 FIGHTS AND NO ONE CAME NEAR OF EVEN HURTING ME.SO THERE YOU GO A LITTLE **** LIKE THAT.AS IT TURNED OUT THAT GUY WAS THE ARGENTINIAN CHAMP AT SUPER FLYWEIGHT AND MILT KNEW IT ALL THE TIME.HE SAID YOUR NEW GUY"CONSIDER IT YOUR INITIATION.RODHOOK

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB81 View Post
                  is there any other footage of ketchel apart from the johnson fight?
                  There's a fight he had with another great MD Billy Papke.

Don't know if its on youtube etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jackal56 View Post
                    There's a fight he had with another great MD Billy Papke.

Don't know if its on youtube etc.

He actually fought Papke 4 times going 3-1(1) against him. The first Ketchel won a 10 round decision. The second fight of theirs is somewhat infamous as Papke sucker punched Ketchel as he went to touch gloves. Ketchel never recovered and was stopped in 12 and lost the middleweight championship. The third fight Ketchel had spread rumors that he had been drinking a lot and not training. It was quite the opposite, and Stanley gave Papke a good beating before stopping him in the 11th to become the first man to regain the middleweight title. The 4th fight was a 20 round UD in Ketchels favor. I haven't found a lot on fights 1 and 4, but there is a ton of info on the two middle fights (no youtube video).

Ketchel also fought the great Sam Langford and lost a 6 round newspaper decision, as well as beating Philidelphia Jack O'Brien a couple of times. O'Brien is considered one of the all time great lightheavies and Ketchel mauled him twice.

Comment

Working...
                    X