No announcement yet.

Marciano was overrated and not an ATG.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
    People should stop taking FANTASY MATCHUPS so seriously. That DOES NOT negate a fighter's accomplishments and sure as heck doesn't determine one's greatness.

It will always be speculation, no one can say for sure who would beat who. Mainly because it's too difficult to compare diffirent eras, and Boxing can be that unpredictable.

What truly determines a fighter's greatness is his accomplishments in his own era, and respectively look at his own abilities.

Rocky Marciano did everything he could in his era untill his own physical endurance forced him to leave the sport he accomplished everything he could in. His record holds some great names in(they weren't all 'old men') he had plenty of defences, and the manner in which he won by facing so much adversity at times make his wins that much greater.

So please, when you judge Marciano's legacy don't just match him up against other fighters from diffirent eras, looking at size only and base your conclusions on that. It is redicilous and discredits a great man and fighter like Rocky Marciano.
    great post.

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez
    just by looking at footage one can see Rocky Marciano wouldn't stand a chance aginst a Prime Roy Jones, the old Hopkins or even our Clinton Woods! !
    stop taking drugs rafael, its very bad for your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Nice post here. A voice of reason.
      I usually agree with 99% of what Yaman posts. I have total respect for his views.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Personaly I think walcott and his skills are very underrated. Not one heavyweight today matches him in terms of fotwork hand speed combonation punching or defense. Thats not to say Joe would beat todays giants, but just watchim him you can see how much more skilled he is than todays top fighters.
        Agreed! Walcott gets dissed alot on this forum for reasons I can't fathom. In my opinion he was a borderline ATG who on his best night could beat anyone.

Poet

Comment

This may surprise some people but I DO believe Marciano to be overrated BUT not for the same reasons or to the same extent as the Rocky haters on here.

In my view Marciano is overrated only because he has a cotre of fanboys who think he's the absolute greatest Heavyweight ever despite the fact he was slow, clumsy, and bled alot. Unlike the Rocky haters I DO believe Marciano is an ATG and I have him rated in the bottom half of my top-ten list.
          Rocky's heart, determination, chin, and punching power would make it a travesty NOT to see him as an ATG.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Öyster View Post
            marciano is as overrated as it gets! he fought many old men and struggled with them! he even got a couple of robbery wins!!! i agree liston would have killed him but to be honest i would favor marciano over lennox!!! lennox is the other most overrated heavyweight!!

and david haye would get stopped in the opening seconds of round 1 by marciano!

clinton woods would lose by way of homicide to marciano

the 1 thing marciano did have was heart

and hopkins couldn't beat an egg
            they would outbox him and outmuscle him. OK I was taking the piss with Clinton Woods but Lewis would decapitate him with his jab. He is overrated too but not on the scale of Marciano. Hew also beat everyone h fought but beat bigger and better athletes in probably the 2nd greatest heavy era ever.

I really do think Haye would also outbox the little skinny turd. 'The Rock' (LOL) might have too much in his punch for the B-Hop, but Haye would have too much reach and his own power on him. The Brockton Bull****ter is nothing more than a decent light-heavyweight who made it big in a dead era. Only the guailos, gringoes and wide eye swing on his balls because they have not produced better. I rate Dempsey over this bum though. He is the worst Italian athlete after Luca Toni!!! LMAO!

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              Agreed! Walcott gets dissed alot on this forum for reasons I can't fathom. In my opinion he was a borderline ATG who on his best night could beat anyone.

Poet
              Bollocks. In the 70's he wouldn''t even be a sparring partner. In the 90's hemight be one of those guys on the seniors tour getting taken out by big George. Just because he was well schooled and 'The Rock' (LOL) made a meal out of him, it does not mean Arnold Cream would be a real contender in any other era. He would be an OAP or a washed up journeyman instead.

This may surprise some people but I DO believe Marciano to be overrated BUT not for the same reasons or to the same extent as the Rocky haters on here.

In my view Marciano is overrated only because he has a cotre of fanboys who think he's the absolute greatest Heavyweight ever despite the fact he was slow, clumsy, and bled alot. Unlike the Rocky haters I DO believe Marciano is an ATG and I have him rated in the bottom half of my top-ten list.
              Rocky's heart, determination, chin, and punching power would make it a travesty NOT to see him as an ATG.

Poet
              A travesty for whom? Bull****! This is the annoying white supremacist myth that has been perpetuated by fake experts that pisses me off. Anybody who knows anything about boxing would not put him in the top 10. He wouldn;t even make numero uno of white boys. The Klit would decapitate him. Maybe he has a chance with his fellow Italian bum, Primo Canera! Paulo Maldini is an Italian great because he was on top for so long. In any sport a bum who quits without being tested is a fraud! He may have died in the ring if he didn't retire so early.

Comment

Poet

You and I are on the same page, my man.

Comment

Poet
                  I agree 100%. He was definitely great but people do overrate him and say things like he had underrated defense ect and would beat Ali. He was great for his time and i enjoy watching his fights. I also like him as a person.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
                    I agree 100%. He was definitely great but people do overrate him and say things like he had underrated defense ect and would beat Ali. He was great for his time and i enjoy watching his fights. I also like him as a person.
                    WTF. It is not Jerry Springer! even so he looks like an ugly prick with a big ugly nose. Great and Marciano should never be in the same sentence. He was an average fighter overrated by white mans. If he was black, people would have just admitted that that era was ****e. They also would have gripped him for retiring so early and probably would have pointed out that Brockton Bull****ter V Liston = Decapitation! White people were still lynching black men at country parties at the time. What do you expect? He was a symbol of that oppression and they protected him with a few robberies and applauded him for dirty tactics where other people would be slated. When the black man hits a man when he i down, it's a cheap shot. When it's done by a white man he's a warrior that would do anything to win and will always find a way! What a joke. He avoided rematches too, the ****ing bum. He is a disgrace to the sport like his advocates.

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
                      wtf marciano was a great champion, ive sigged what you said about him to expose your stupidity to all
                      Is that suppose to bother me? Right above it you got the ****test list of al time faves ever! Yahahahaha. You really are a ****ing tit who obviously hasn't seen muhc beyond the contemporaries. Like I say, people who actually collect black and white fights will know what I say when I say he is ****E.

You only prove how much of a dumb and bitter white guy you are who doesn't understand tongue in cheek. Of course, you have mastered the art of tongue in bum!

Comment

Working...
                      X