Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't consider Baer an ATG level fighter but it's nice seeing him get a little love for a change.

Poet

Comment

• 1. Muhammed Ali
      2. Joe Louis
      3. Sam Langford
      4. Jack Johnson
      5. Larry Holmes
      6. Lennox Lewis
      7. Rocky Marciano
      8. George Foreman
      9. Sonny Liston
      10. Mike Tyson

I wasnt sure about ranking Holmes above Lewis but i felt i had to. Thats my top 10 anyhow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cloud View Post
        1. Muhammed Ali
        2. Joe Louis
        3. Sam Langford
        4. Jack Johnson
        5. Larry Holmes
        6. Lennox Lewis
        7. Rocky Marciano
        8. George Foreman
        9. Sonny Liston
        10. Mike Tyson

I wasnt sure about ranking Holmes above Lewis but i felt i had to. Thats my top 10 anyhow.
        Im a big fan of Langford but find it interesting you not only have him in the top 10, but over Johnson. Jack clearly avoided Sam the second go round, but he has as good a resume, the h2h win and became the champion. P4p I see Sam or Greb as the best ever. But at heavyweight I can't find to many reasons to have him in the top 10. Other than that I think you have a very good list.

Comment

• 1.Ali
          2.Louis
          3.Foreman
          4.Holmes
          5.Lewis
          6.Frazier
          7.Johnson
          8.Marciano
          9.Dempsey
          10.Sonny

Comment

• I find the more time I spend on Cox's Corner, the harder it gets to separate Louis, Ali and especially Johnson from each other on a top 10 list.

Anyone else?

(Also seeing Johnson miss a top 10 list makes me want to commit murder-suicide)
            Last edited by Capaedia; 10-01-2011, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Im glad we have guys like Poet and JAB on BS. Ive learnt much from reading their comments in regards to boxing and it greats. I feel very lonely when i talk Jack Johnson with my friends and their like...who?....same goes for Willie Pep and other oldies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                I find the more time I spend on Cox's Corner, the harder it gets to separate Louis, Ali and especially Johnson from each other on a top 10 list.

Anyone else?

(Also seeing Johnson miss a top 10 list makes me want to commit murder-suicide)
                I definitely have a hard time separating Ali and Louis, but I just can't include Johnson in ther with them. IMO, Muhammad and Joe are the first tier of heavyweights.

JJ was without a doubt an ATG, but his resume seems to fall short of GHWOAT status.

My top 10HW list:

1. Ali
                2. Louis
                3. Holmes
                4. Foreman
                5. Dempsey
                6. Johnson
                7. Liston
                8. Marciano
                9. Frazier
                10. Lewis
                Last edited by SBleeder; 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Then what criteria do you have for Holmes being in third? As far as I'm aware his resume is nothing special.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                    Then what criteria do you have for Holmes being in third? As far as I'm aware his resume is nothing special.
                    Holmes resume is pretty solid even though his era was pretty weak. Holmes situation was very much like what Wladimirs is today, Holmes was clearly the best heavy during the late 70s - mid 80s and H2H he could be argued for being at the very top of the list, not to mention his pretty decent comeback racking up wins over Mercer, Ribalta and giving a very good account of himself against a peak Holyfield.

My top 10

1.Louis
                    2.Ali
                    3.Holmes
                    4.Marciano
                    5.Foreman
                    6.Lewis
                    7.Johnson
                    8.Dempsey
                    9.Frazier
                    10Liston

Comment

• Thread starter here, haven't been around for a while and good to see this still going.

I haven't evaluated my list for a good few years now and it needs updating.

Like it or not it's about time we start mentioning the Klitchkos. With their achievments they have to be talked about alongside such other all time greats.
                      Also on H2H they have such huge advantages.

Will we ever see a good 6ft 215lb heavyweight evenly compete with a good 6ft 8" 250+lb heavyweight.

As much as we'd all hate it, isn't it time for a superheavyweight division.

Comment

Working...
                      X