No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs. Max Baer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid Achilles View Post
    The talk of Baer vs. Foreman got me thinking about another good fantasy matchup.

I think this one would look somewhat like an extended Liston-Williams fight (straight disciplined punches vs. wide haymakers), Baer shaking Liston up early even more than Williams did but Liston keeping his composure enough to ram in his shorter, tighter punches to eventually wear down the haymaker throwing Baer. Liston's superior jab would also be an advantage on the outside, allowing him to occasionally counter Baer while Max is in the act of throwing his big looping right. Still, Baer would test Liston's heart and chin often with the punches he does slip in. Baer could really pour it on when he had a guy hurt, throwing in backfists along with the hooks and right hands.

I think Liston takes this one by a close but clear decision but if things go his way, perhaps even a late stoppage.
    - -Understand where you at coming from, but Max with his Mankiller rep may well intimidate Sonny from engaging much.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Understand where you at coming from, but Max with his Mankiller rep may well intimidate Sonny from engaging much.
      Whats wrong with U? Having one way conversations?

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles View Post
        The talk of Baer vs. Foreman got me thinking about another good fantasy matchup.

I think this one would look somewhat like an extended Liston-Williams fight (straight disciplined punches vs. wide haymakers), Baer shaking Liston up early even more than Williams did but Liston keeping his composure enough to ram in his shorter, tighter punches to eventually wear down the haymaker throwing Baer. Liston's superior jab would also be an advantage on the outside, allowing him to occasionally counter Baer while Max is in the act of throwing his big looping right. Still, Baer would test Liston's heart and chin often with the punches he does slip in. Baer could really pour it on when he had a guy hurt, throwing in backfists along with the hooks and right hands.

I think Liston takes this one by a close but clear decision but if things go his way, perhaps even a late stoppage.
        I think Liston would stop Baer at some point. Liston is an elite level heavyweight in my book. Baer is dangerous but reckless and limited in the skill department. Baer was tough, confident and had lots of heart. So you give a man like that a big punch and he's going to do pretty good even against superior fighters. (If you watch Baer vs Schmeling, it's clear Schmeling is a superior fighter - but Baer just never lets up and continuously throws punches) That being said he would give Liston a target which is a bad idea, just like it was against Louis.

He's got more heart and fighting instinct than Williams (I'm sure he would actually go in looking to knock Liston out). But it would probably play out in similar fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          I think Liston would stop Baer at some point. Liston is an elite level heavyweight in my book. Baer is dangerous but reckless and limited in the skill department. Baer was tough, confident and had lots of heart. So you give a man like that a big punch and he's going to do pretty good even against superior fighters. (If you watch Baer vs Schmeling, it's clear Schmeling is a superior fighter - but Baer just never lets up and continuously throws punches) That being said he would give Liston a target which is a bad idea, just like it was against Louis.

He's got more heart and fighting instinct than Williams (I'm sure he would actually go in looking to knock Liston out). But it would probably play out in similar fashion.
          - -Baer past it vs Louis.

See Sonny vs Kid Leotis...Duh!

Comment

Great analysis. Baer had the talent to be elite, Liston was elite.

Comment

This is interesting because on paper Liston should have no issue with Baer. The jab alone should completely obliterate max's chances. But Max had the power, chin and out-put to put Liston away.

IMO, this would be EXACTLY the fight to measure how much of a headcase Liston was.

I'd put my money on Liston. But not much of it.

Comment

Well said, I do wonder how well tested Liston was. It seemed he liked fighters who let him win, but could get derailed by men who stood their ground and fired back effectively.

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - -Baer past it vs Louis.

See Sonny vs Kid Leotis...Duh!
                you can't have it both ways. Liston was old against Martin. But I do agree, that wasn't a flattering performance for Liston.

Comment

Working...
                X