No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs. Max Baer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Liston vs. Max Baer

The talk of Baer vs. Foreman got me thinking about another good fantasy matchup.

I think this one would look somewhat like an extended Liston-Williams fight (straight disciplined punches vs. wide haymakers), Baer shaking Liston up early even more than Williams did but Liston keeping his composure enough to ram in his shorter, tighter punches to eventually wear down the haymaker throwing Baer. Liston's superior jab would also be an advantage on the outside, allowing him to occasionally counter Baer while Max is in the act of throwing his big looping right. Still, Baer would test Liston's heart and chin often with the punches he does slip in. Baer could really pour it on when he had a guy hurt, throwing in backfists along with the hooks and right hands.

I think Liston takes this one by a close but clear decision but if things go his way, perhaps even a late stoppage.

Originally posted by Kid Achilles View Post
    The talk of Baer vs. Foreman got me thinking about another good fantasy matchup.

I think this one would look somewhat like an extended Liston-Williams fight (straight disciplined punches vs. wide haymakers), Baer shaking Liston up early even more than Williams did but Liston keeping his composure enough to ram in his shorter, tighter punches to eventually wear down the haymaker throwing Baer. Liston's superior jab would also be an advantage on the outside, allowing him to occasionally counter Baer while Max is in the act of throwing his big looping right. Still, Baer would test Liston's heart and chin often with the punches he does slip in. Baer could really pour it on when he had a guy hurt, throwing in backfists along with the hooks and right hands.

I think Liston takes this one by a close but clear decision but if things go his way, perhaps even a late stoppage.
    I agree. This would be similar to Liston Williams, or Louis-Baer. Baer starts out fast and has his moments early, but Liston's skill would dictate the fight and around the middle rounds, Baer would succumb to Liston's blistering attack or quit.

Liston in 6 rounds or less.

Comment

I think that Baer gets some early shots in, but none of his brain shaking (literally) bombs. His confidence may become arrogance, until he takes a few from Liston. Sonny uses that hammer jab forever--some fights, I swear that's all he threw--and eventually, Baer has to get a little wild. Liston masterfully tears Baer downin 5 or 6.

Or Baer throws us all for a loop and storms Liston, taking away any heart he had and he quits on his stool. I doubt it, but hey, we're just pretending here. I hope to see this match in my upcoming March Madness '07 tourney.

Comment

the baer that killed two guys, or i should say, before he killed two guys and lost his desire to fight has a chance, but liston's technique is better - he can box if he has to, and his jab is awesome.

if baer has sex in his dressing room before the fight, he loses

Comment

Originally posted by dr filth View Post
          the baer that killed two guys, or i should say, before he killed two guys and lost his desire to fight has a chance, but liston's technique is better - he can box if he has to, and his jab is awesome.

if baer has sex in his dressing room before the fight, he loses
          Baer killing two men is an urban myth.

Frankie Campbell was killed in the ring by Baer.

Baer was defeated by Ernie Schaaf who went on to win his next three fights.

In his fourth fight after his win over Baer, Schaaff was stopped by Primo Carnera and died as a result.

An autopsy later revealed Schaaf had meningitis, a swelling of the brain, and was still recovering from a severe case of influenza at the time of the fight with Carnera.

Sports writer Gartland Rice wrote a column suggesting the punishment he took in his win over Baer may have contributed to Schaff's death, but there was nothing to substantiate it.
          Last edited by SABBATH; 01-24-2007, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SABBATH View Post
            Baer killing two men is an urban myth.

Frankie Campbell was killed in the ring by Baer.

Baer was defeated by Ernie Schaaf who went on to win his next three fights.

In his fourth fight after his win over Baer, Schaaff was stopped by Primo Carnera and died as a result.

An autopsy later revealed Schaaf had meningitis, a swelling of the brain, and was still recovering from a severe case of influenza at the time of the fight with Carnera.

Sports writer Gartland Rice wrote a column suggesting the punishment he took in his win over Baer may have contributed to Schaff's death, but there was nothing to substantiate it.

ok, the baer that killed one guy in the ring has a chance against liston... one website said he'd killed two guys in the ring

Comment

Similar stylistic matchup to Liston-Williams. Baer is undoubtedly more durable than Williams and any difference between the power in Williams left and Baers right would be rather minimal in my opinion. The reckless aggression of Baer leaves him open to the sharpness of whom i consider to be the 2nd best boxer-puncher in the HW divison i have seen, Sonny Liston. Baer comes in recklessly and lands some good shots, but Sonny with composure intact backs up and drills Baer with hard counter rights and lefts. Baer becomes tentative as a result and backs up... for the remainder of the fight Baer is on the end of Sonny's jab which sets up the inevitable.... the shots that send Baer down and out in the later rounds. Sonny Liston had the two fisted punching power coupled with solid technical ability that would prove too much for the relatively one dimensional Baer. Baer embodies the term 'punchers chance' so it's no doubt possible for Baer to take the win, but the edge has to go to Liston.
              Last edited by Heckler; 01-25-2007, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckler View Post
                Similar stylistic matchup to Liston-Williams. Baer is undoubtedly more durable than Williams and any difference between the power in Williams left and Baers right would be rather minimal in my opinion. The reckless aggression of Baer leaves him open to the sharpness of whom i consider to be the 2nd best boxer-puncher in the HW divison i have seen, Sonny Liston. Baer comes in recklessly and lands some good shots, but Sonny with composure intact backs up and drills Baer with hard counter rights and lefts. Baer becomes tentative as a result and backs up... for the remainder of the fight Baer is on the end of Sonny's jab which sets up the inevitable.... the shots that send Baer down and out in the later rounds. Sonny Liston had the two fisted punching power coupled with solid technical ability that would prove too much for the relatively one dimensional Baer. Baer embodies the term 'punchers chance' so it's no doubt possible for Baer to take the win, but the edge has to go to Liston.
                I doubt this goes to the later rounds. If Louis nailed him in four, then Liston could do the same.

Comment

ne ali opponent especially liston, and butterfly will be all over the thread like flies on ****

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K7 View Post
                    ne ali opponent especially liston, and butterfly will be all over the thread like flies on ****
                    ne tyson opponent especially holyfield, and versatile will be all over the thread like flies on ****

Comment

Working...
                    X