Collapse
No announcement yet.

was mike weaver's left hook underated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as weavers punching prowess he even had tyson commenting that was bad when he starched carl the truth Williams

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      I guess the second fight wasn't as much a robbery as it was controversial. Dokes was Don King's star and though Dokes could be stopped, Don King couldn't.
      The first fight was bad enough it ruined the career of Referee Curtis.
      I kind of understand where the ref was coming from considering the horrible death that had occured. weaver didn't look like he was punching back.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Mike Weaver....late starter to the game, was in the army when some fellow called him out, whereupon the black hercules let fly an untrained shot which put the fellow down and out....Mike Weaver later was to find out he had Kayooed the heavyweight champion for the United States Army. A boxing career was born.
        I don't know about his lefhook, but Weaver was frustrating to watch, so I did not watch him all that much. There was always the feeling he could have been doing more than he was. He had done hardly anything up to where he KO'd Tate in the 15th, just stood there looking dumb, as a "B" or "C" heavyweight champion tapped him in the face.

Weaver's so called "heyday" was a period where I largely lost interest in heavyweight boxing for a while. The man was just too sluggish for my tastes. To some degree I often had the same frustration watching Ray Mercer. Sometimes he, too, seemed quite sluggish, almost more than I was willing to put up with. Ray's beard kept me watching, though.

I do know Weaver himself is not underrated. He was a bum heavyweight champion. I would pick prime Jerry Quarry to demolish the lazy bum.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          Your thoughts. Also was the dokes fight stopped to soon?
          I think it was stopped too soon and Weaver was a slow starter but it was a Don King promotion. So yeah. Weaver was a big puncher with both hands but from what I can see a limited fighter which might be cause for his hook to be underrated.

Comment

Mike's Left Hook was probably underrated, as he clocked several fighters nice, most notably Big John Tate. In retrospect, the first Dokes fight was probably stopped too soon, but Dokes was King's main ace to an extent, and he probably pulled some shenanigans for him.

Comment

His laziness is not overrated.

Comment

Geez, was there anyone back then that King promoted that didn't do drugs? I heard Dokes was an addict.

Comment

Dokes was doing drugs since he was a teenager.It just caught up to him around the time he became champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                    Dokes was doing drugs since he was a teenager.It just caught up to him around the time he became champion.
                    Ill tell you what. If i had gotten mixed up with Roosevelt Franklin (King). Coming home expecting a payday of 300K, only to be told, after billing for food, for his stupid azz son as an "advisor" I was taking home 3k....I would be doing all the drugs that 3k could buy!

Well correction...I would buy all the drugs 2k would buy, then I would take the 1k, buy a nice tanto (thats my favorite) and slice both of those goons up. But that is just me.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      Ill tell you what. If i had gotten mixed up with Roosevelt Franklin (King). Coming home expecting a payday of 300K, only to be told, after billing for food, for his stupid azz son as an "advisor" I was taking home 3k....I would be doing all the drugs that 3k could buy!

Well correction...I would buy all the drugs 2k would buy, then I would take the 1k, buy a nice tanto (thats my favorite) and slice both of those goons up. But that is just me.
                      Understood.

Comment

Working...
                      X