Advertisement: IBO Boxing
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com
Advertisement

Things Not Going Well For Canelo, Golden Boy in Ongoing Trial

By Miguel Rivera, photos by Roberto Koltun

The second day of testimony was not very favorable to former two-division world champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions.

All Star Boxing President Felix 'Tutico' Zabala has sued both parties in Miami, Florida - and they are currently engaged in an ongoing trial. In the legal documents, Zabala claims to have signed Canelo to a four-year promotional agreement in 2008. There was a clause that extending that agreement if Canelo became world champion during the time frame of the deal - but Zabala claims the Mexican superstar violated the terms of that contract by signing with Golden Boy Promotions the following year.

Zabala filed the lawsuit in 2010 and the trial finally started. Canelo captured his first world title when became the super welterweight champion of the World Boxing Council (WBC) in 2011 after beating Matthew Hatton by decision.

canelo-alvarez-trial (5)_1

Zabala's lawyer, Alejandro Brito, said the breach by Canelo and the contract interference by Golden Boy head Oscar De La Hoya has caused $27 million in damages to his client. This figure does not include punitive damages, which under the laws of Florida, could triple the amount originally claimed.

Brito presented a copy of the promotional contract signed by Canelo and manager Jose 'Chepo' Reynoso for four years dated September 15, 2008. He also presented photos of the work visa that Zabala obtained for Canelo so the boxer could travel and fight in the United States and a copy his passport.

Canelo nine fights under the promotion of All Star Boxing. The first on the 24th of November 2008 and the last on December 5, 2009 against Lanardo Tyner. For these fights in a span of 13 months, Canelo pocketed about $180,000. Canelo then accepted an offer from De La Hoya and signed with Golden Boy Promotions. Since leaving Zabala, he's had 17 fights.

On Monday, Canelo acknowledged his signature on the promotional contract, but claimed that he thought it was some type of document requesting an entry visa to the United States and said that he was unaware of the language contained in the documents, because they were written in English.

 On Tuesday, Zabala's lawyer pound on Canelo and Golden Boy with evidence.

Golden Boy's financial figures as a company were discussed, and how much of that revenue was attributed to Canelo, to determine potential damages.

As part of the discovery of evidence, a letter was presented by Golden Boy matchmaker Robert Diaz dated July 23, 2010 and sent to the Department of Homeland Security in the United States, admitting that Canelo was previously promoted by All Star Boxing.

At the sitting of Tuesday, also it was read to the jury the written deposition of Rafael Mendoza of Mexico, star witness in the case with 55 years in the boxing business, and who was present at the time when Canelo was signed by All Star in 2008 .

Mendoza has had under his tutelage about 26 world champions. In his statement he let the court know that he was advisor to Jose "Chepo" Reynoso, the current manager of Canelo. He rejected the claim that the contract Canelo signed was only to obtain a work visa.

"Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar de la Hoya were aware that Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez was under contract with All Star Boxing," was part of the written statement submitted by Mendoza, according to El Vocero.

It was also said that Canelo was given a million dollar bonus to sign with Godlen Boy. Mendoza mentioned in his declaration that the vice president of Golden Boy, Eric Gomez, declined to pay $250,000 to All Star for the rights to use Canelo, before falling into unlawful interference, suggesting that the company itself had foreknowledge of the previous contract .

It was further learned that the renewal of contract between Golden Boy and Canelo in January 2015 included a bonus of $15 million to the Mexican star.

"I am satisfied with the way the process is going. I trust in the jury and justice of the United States, especially the Judicial Center of Miami Dade-County," said Zabala briefly as he left the court.

User Comments and Feedback
Comment by BennyBlanco on 06-14-2016

[QUOTE=bigdunny1;16786919]It's not AT LEAST 3.4m you idiot that amount will go to appeals where it's highly likely the number get's dropped significantly. That means it's a risk that you take a paycheck NOW or you risk that amount going down.…

Comment by bigdunny1 on 06-14-2016

[QUOTE=BennyBlanco;16786847]So you're the only one in the world who knew All Star wasn't getting $100M? Because you're so much more knowledgeable and intelligent than anyone involved in the case? Of course the lawyers knew they weren't getting $100M off a…

Comment by BennyBlanco on 06-14-2016

[QUOTE=bigdunny1;16786700]And you don't understand the lawyers were WILLING to represent them for 5 years on that contingent fee because they were banking on the 100mil pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Now that's cut to just 8m…

Comment by bigdunny1 on 06-14-2016

[QUOTE=BennyBlanco;16786682]So GB and Canelo won, and their reward for winning is that Canelo has to pay $8.5 million to All Star??? Yeah, I never want to win that way. You clearly don't understand a CONTINGENCY FEE. All Star doesn't need…

Comment by Kigali on 06-14-2016

[QUOTE=BennyBlanco;16786682]So GB and Canelo won, and their reward for winning is that Canelo has to pay $8.5 million to All Star??? [B]Yeah, I never want to win that way[/B]. You clearly don't understand a CONTINGENCY FEE. All Star doesn't need…

ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (100)
Advertisement
Top Headlines
Ruben Villa Looks To Bring A World Title Back To Salinas Hearn: I Believe Joshua Will Knock Out Pulev and Tyson Fury Brandon Figueroa Breaks Down, Batters Damien Vazquez Freddie Roach Expects Pacquiao To Easily Destroy McGregor Luis Nery Fights Hard To Best Aaron Alameda For WBC Title Jeison Rosario Released From Hospital, Returns To The Dominican Republic Casimero Takes Out Duke Micah in Three Rounds Jermell Charlo: I Have Explosive Power, But My Jab Got Me These Straps! Jermall Charlo: Derevyanchenko Gave GGG a Harder Test - I'm The Best at 160! Josh Taylor: I Want Jose Ramirez Next - I'd Whip His Ass All Day! Spence To Spar Monday For First Time Since Suffering Injuries In Car Accident Jermell Charlo Drills Jeison Rosario With Body Jab For Knockout Jermall Charlo Turns Back Derevyanchenko, Retains WBC Belt Arum Vows Public War Over Mandatory Mismatches: It's a F--king Disgrace! Dorticos: Congrats To Briedis, I'll Be Back Stronger Than Ever Mario Cazares Derails The Return of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Josh Taylor Demolishes Apinun Khongsong in One Jermell Charlo-Jeison Rosario - CompuBox Punch Stats Jermell Charlo-Jeison Rosario - Official Scorecards Jermall Charlo-Sergiy Derevyanchenko - CompuBox Punch Stats Jermall Charlo-Sergiy Derevyanchenko - Official Scorecards Cristofer Rosales Decisions Samuel Gutierrez in Miami Jermell Charlo Blasts Jeison Rosario in Eight To Unify WBA, IBF, WBC Titles Jermell Charlo vs. Jeison Rosario - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Luis Nery Decisions Aaron Alameda in Tough Fight To Win WBC Title Luis Nery vs. Aaron Alameda - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Danny Roman Rallies To Decision Payano in WBC Eliminator Daniel Roman vs. Juan Carlos Payano - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Jermall Charlo Decisions Sergiy Derevyanchenko in Action Battle Jermall Charlo vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Brandon Figueroa Breaks Down, Stops Damien Vazquez in Tenth Brandon Figueroa vs. Damien Vazquez - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Casimero Drops, Stops Duke Micah in Third Round Casimero vs. Duke Micah - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Ronnie Shields: Derevyanchenko Hasn't Been Hit Like Jermall Will Hit Him Jermell Charlo: I Always Felt I'm Best In Division; J-Rock, Rosario Not On My Level Murtazaliev Overcomes Flash Knockdown, Stops Woods In 4th Round Dina Thorslund Retains WBO Title, Decisions Nina Radovanovic Mairis Briedis Decisions Dorticos To Win WBSS Tourney, IBF Title Conwell Expects Charlo Brothers To Come Through in Toughest Career Fights
Advertisement
Advertisement
Latest Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement