Abel Sanchez is expecting an explosive fight when Saul "Canelo" Alvarez challenges WBC, IBO, WBA world middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin in a rematch in September.
The duo could not be separated after last year's bout at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, allowing Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) to retain his four titles at the title. Earlier this month he was stripped of the IBF middleweight title after he failed to set up a mandatory defence against Ukrainian Olympian Sergiy Derevyanchenko.
The rematch was initially scheduled for May 5, but it was cancelled in April after Canelo failed a pair of drug tests - when he tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol.
The 27-year-old was then suspended for six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission but will be allowed to return to the ring from Aug. 17.
A deal was reached earlier this week, after the two sides were deadlocked on a split of 65-35 in favor of Canelo. Eventually Canelo's handlers offered a new split of 57.5-42.5 - which Golovkin also rejected.
And then the deal was modified, with undisclosed terms, which GGG finally excepted for the rematch - which is scheduled to take place on September 15, right back at Las Vegas' T-Mobile.
There has been a lot of bad blood in recent months, after Golovkin made allegations that Canelo was a longtime user of performance enhancing drugs.
“I think these two guys are pissed off at each other and because they’re pissed off at each other, I think we’re going to get the fight that we expected the first time from Canelo,” said Sanchez, who trains Golovkin in Big Bear, to the Press Enterprise.
Sanchez is not worried about the two boxers entering the ring with some anger on their shoulders.
“Absolutely, I’m OK with that,” said Sanchez. “I’m OK with both guys going in with a chip on their shoulder. I’m OK with that because at the end of the day we’re in the entertainment business, man. People want to be entertained.”