According to the team behind Russian heavyweight Alexander Povetkin, they have claimed a $4.3 million court victory over WBC champion Deontay Wilder over a cancelled fight back in 2016.
According to representatives from Forward Legal, working for Povetkin and his promoter's company, World of Boxing, a New York court issued an aware of $4.3 million which was being held in escrow - in connected to their canceled fight from May 2016.
In a statement provided to BoxingScene.com by World of Boxing - Mr. Ryabinskiy’s attorney succeed in getting a favorable decision in a US court, ruled over a long court proceedings with the representatives of WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder.
New York Federal District Court refused Wilder on all accounts, and awarded Mr. Ryabinskiy’s side USD 4.3 m — funds that were part of the interpleader case after the fight between Alexander Povetkin and Wilder was cancelled in May of 2016. Decision can be appealed during 30 days, however attorneys have already filed a demand for the return of funds.
Attorneys will take a careful look at the 48 page decision, planning out next actions, evidently in court also, as parties are still to battle it out over the multi-million reputational claims.
The information was also confirmed World of Boxing CEO Andrei Ryabinksy, on Friday.
“A few hours ago we won the court case in New York against (Deontay) Wilder’s team,” Ryabinksy said. "I said it once, and I will say it again, anyone that wants to offend or insult my guys, will have to pay for it."
The two fighters were scheduled to collide in May 2016 in Moscow, but the fight was canceled about a week before the contest after the WBC revealed that Povetkin's drug test had come up positive for meldonium, which became a banned substance on the WADA list in January 1, 2016.
Afterwards, both sides filed lawsuits against each other. Wilder's team won an initial suit in 2017 for $5 million. Povetkin had a counter-suit asking for $34.5 million for defamation because Wilder and his handlers pegged him as a doper in the media.
Povetkin, who last month secured a brutal knockout over David Price, is currently the mandatory challenger to IBF, WBA, WBO, IBO heavyweight world champion Anthony Joshua.