Dillian Whyte won’t waste any time in attempting to avenge his brutal knockout loss to Alexander Povetkin.
Promoter Eddie Hearn and Sky Sports announced Tuesday that the Povetkin-Whyte rematch is set for November 21. The site for their second heavyweight fight wasn’t announced Tuesday.
Just like their first fight, Povetkin-Whyte II will headline a Sky Sports Box Office pay-per-view show. Their rematch represents a quick turnaround for Whyte, who was knocked cold by Povetkin’s vicious left uppercut in the fifth round August 22 at Matchroom Boxing’s headquarters in Brentwood, England.
“I’m over the moon to have the rematch,” Whyte said in a press release. “As soon as I got out of the ring, I was looking for confirmation that the fight would be on. I can’t wait to get back in the ring and get back what is rightfully mine. I’m looking to do what I said I would the first time, and that’s beat Alexander Povetkin.”
London’s Whyte dropped Povetkin twice in the fourth round and appeared well on his way to winning their scheduled 12-round battle by knockout. Russia’s Povetkin recovered and pulled off an unforeseen upset when he unloaded an uppercut that knocked Whyte cold.
The 41-year-old Povetkin (36-2-1, 25 KOs) won the WBC interim title from Whyte (27-2, 18 KOs) and temporarily eliminated him from title contention. The 32-year-old Whyte was the WBC’s number one contender for more than two years and had won 11 straight bouts before Povetkin beat him.
“There won’t be any major adjustments, but I just need to be more switched on and not get distracted,” Whyte said. “He was able to use his experience against me. I will be a lot more focused and sharper in the rematch. I’m coming to win and knock him out. I’m coming to even the score, and the only way to do that is by knocking him out.”
Povetkin is looking forward to proving his impressive victory last month wasn’t a fluke.
“I’ve rested well, spent time with my family,” Povetkin said, “and now that the date of the rematch is known, I will soon return to my training camp and prepare as thoroughly as I did for the first fight. As I said before the first fight, and after it, too, Dillian Whyte is a good, strong boxer. I will be ready to enter the ring on November 21. I hope it will be another beautiful fight for the fans.”
DAZN is expected to stream the Povetkin-Whyte card in the United States, but a rights deal hadn’t been finalized as of Tuesday.
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.