By Miguel Rivera
Miguel Cotto can enjoy a month's vacation before returning to Los Angeles, California, to report to the Wild Card Gym, owned by the Puerto Rican star's head trainer Freddie Roach.
Bryan Perez, Cotto's right-hand man, told Carlos Gonzalez that they will travel to Los Angeles on June 30. It will be the third time this year that the Puerto Rican pugilist travels over to the United States for a training camp.
Cotto is scheduled to face Japanese junior middleweight contender Yoshihiro Kamehai for the vacant WBO world title on Aug. 26 at StubHub Center in Carson, California.
Earlier this year, Cotto completed five weeks of training at Wild Card for a scheduled HBO Pay-Per-View fight with James Kirkland in February. Kirkland allegedly suffered a fractured nose, which led to the cancellation of the entire event.
"The plan is for Miguel to start training on July 3 to complete eight weeks," Perez said yesterday.
Initially it was announced that Cotto was preparing to fight in June against Kamegai. However, the date was discarded for several reasons. That situation could have been the compelling reason for Cotto and ex-promoter Roc Nation to dissolve their contract with one fight remaining on their three fight deal that was signed in 2015.
Now that his immediate future is set, Cotto (40-5, 33 KO's) will be able to focus on establishing a strategy for Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KO's) - and the fight become even more important after the World Boxing Organization (WBO) sanctioned the contest for their 154-pound title.
"Kamegai was the opponent that Roach was preparing me for. Freddie has a strategic plan and I do not know anything about my opponent, but that has happened many times during my career," said an unconcerned Cotto.
The first part of the camp will have trainer Gavin MacMillan in charge, because Roach is in the Philippines supervising the training camp of Manny Pacquiao, who in July 1 will face Jeff Horn in Australia.