By Miguel Rivera
Former four division world champion Miguel Cotto believes that Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez will make the necessary adjustments, to come out with the victory this Saturday when he will face IBO, WBC, WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin in a rematch at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Cotto stated that people in Las Vegas rarely recognize fine and technical boxing, but that this should be the strategy of Canelo against GGG, instead of going to war as many think he must do to not leave doubts about his supremacy.
"It's going to be a difficult fight to choose. I will sit down to enjoy the fight, I understand and I know that Canelo is going to eliminate all of those faults that he had in the first fight and he will present a smarter fighting pattern in this rematch... I'm going with Canelo," said Cotto to ESPN Deportes.
Cotto and Canelo collided in a major fight in November 2015, at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.
Canelo won a twelve round decision to capture the WBC middleweight belt. He would vacate the title the following year, when the sanctioning body pressed him to face Golovkin.
Cotto, who captured world titles at junior welterweight, welterweight, junior middleweight and middleweight, retired from boxing in December of last year after suffering an upset loss to Sadam Ali.
Golovkin and Canelo fought to a controversial twelve round split draw, at the same Las Vegas venue, in September of 2017.
Cotto expects another close and competitive fight.
"This will be a difficult fight, as complicated as the first one. I realize that the one who has studied that first fight to perfection and found flaws that can get afloat from his opponent will come out victorious. Let's hope for a great fight like the first one and let's hope that the decision is fair and to the liking of all the public," Cotto said.