By Miguel Rivera
From the tone of his responses, former four division world champion Miguel Cotto appears to be very serious when he reiterates that on December 31, 2017, it will be his last day as a professional boxer, because it is time to give way to other challenges in his career.
Cotto is currently training to fight for his sixth world championship. The Puerto Rican boxing legend assured that this year will be the right moment to leave boxing, as a new generation of boxers are coming up in the ranks in Puerto Rico.
On August 26th, Cotto will collide with Yoshihiro Kamegai at StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. The fight will be televised on HBO.
Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) will be fighting under the promotional banner of Golden Boy Promotions and aims to have another fight at the end of the year, but for now his only focus is Kamegai (27-3- 2, 24 KO), whom he acknowledged as an aggressive fighter.
"We are doing very well as far as the camp, hoping that the days will pass and that the preparation will intensify a little next week, and then we'll lower the loads and look towards the fight," said Cotto to ESPN Deportes.
"I've been enjoying boxing a lot. It's my last year in boxing, it's time to go do other things. December 31, 2017 will be the last day of Miguel Cotto as a professional boxer."
"There is a good litter of Puerto Rican boxers coming up. All you have to do is work hard and not rest until you reach the goal. Puerto Rican boxing has always stood out with good talents. Right now there are Acosta, Machado, Verdejo... they are some that are the most advanced
Finally, Cotto said he is not concerned that his show is going head to head with the huge event from Las Vegas, when Floyd Mayweather will collide with UFC superstar Conor McGregor.
"They will be ready for their fight on the 26th, and I have to be prepared for mine. I have no comment on that. We will work according to how we feel, what we see in us and we will do what we agreed to do," said Cotto.