By Keith Idec
If promoters for Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin can’t close a deal for them to fight September 15, Jermall Charlo is one of Golovkin’s potential opponents for his next fight.
Houston’s Charlo (27-0, 21 KOs) is the WBC’s interim middleweight champion and the mandatory challenger for Golovkin’s WBC 160-pound championship. Jermall Charlo’s twin brother, Jermell, gave Alvarez a suggestion Thursday for the fight he thinks the suspended superstar should pursue if he doesn’t face Golovkin next.
“Tell Canelo to stop eating that bad meat and come back down to ’54,” Jermell Charlo told BoxingScene.com. “We been wanting him.”
Charlo also said during the same interview that Golden Boy Promotions has offered him a contract recently. Signing with Oscar De La Hoya’s company, which also promotes Alvarez, obviously would make finalizing a deal for an Alvarez-Jermell Charlo clash easier.
Jermell Charlo (30-0, 15 KOs) must first defend his WBC super welterweight title against Austin Trout (31-4, 17 KOs) on June 9 at Staples Center in Los Angeles (Showtime).
Jermell Charlo said during a conference call Wednesday that he doesn’t intend to move up from super welterweight to the middleweight division anytime soon. Alvarez has spent about half of his 12-year pro career competing at or near the super welterweight limit of 154 pounds.
Until Golovkin began pushing for more money last week, Mexico’s Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) and Kazakhstan’s Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) appeared headed toward having their middleweight championship rematch rescheduled for September 15 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Alvarez remains suspended for twice testing positive for clenbuterol in February, which caused the cancelation of their May 5 rematch at T-Mobile Arena. He claims contaminated meat consumed in Mexico caused him to test positive.
The former super welterweight and middleweight champion’s six-month suspension is supposed to end after August 17 because it is retroactive to his first failed test February 17.
That should make him eligible to fight Golovkin again or someone else September 15, the date he has announced he’ll return to the ring. The 27-year-old Alvarez hasn’t fought since battling Golovkin to a controversial draw September 16 at T-Mobile Arena.
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.