By Keith Idec
Oscar De La Hoya has given Gennady Golovkin a deadline of noon PT on Wednesday to accept his company’s proposed 57.5-42.5 financial split for a middleweight championship rematch with Canelo Alvarez.
If Golovkin doesn’t accept Golden Boy Promotions’ offer by then, Golden Boy president Eric Gomez told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he’ll halt negotiations with Golovkin’s promoter, Tom Loeffler, and try to finalize a fight against Daniel Jacobs. If that happens, Golden Boy also will have to increase its offer to Jacobs to make that fight for September 15 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
BoxingScene.com has learned that Jacobs isn’t willing to accept the undisclosed offer Golden Boy has made thus far for what would be an HBO Pay-Per-View main event.
The 31-year-old Jacobs (34-2, 29 KOs) is interested in meeting Mexico’s Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) in what would be one of the two biggest fights of his career, but he believes the fight is worth more than he has been offered.
Jacobs has been offered significantly less money than Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs), who beat Jacobs by unanimous decision in March 2017, for a shot at Alvarez. An Alvarez-Golovkin rematch obviously is a more profitable fight than Alvarez-Jacobs, but Jacobs would be a very credible alternative for Alvarez if negotiations with Golovkin end Wednesday without them coming to an agreement.
Like Alvarez, Jacobs has an exclusive deal with HBO for the premium cable network to televise his fights either live on the network or via HBO Pay-Per-View.
If the former WBA world middleweight champion doesn’t fight Alvarez next, Jacobs is expected to box Sergiy Derevyanchenko for the vacant IBF middleweight title at some point in October. Brooklyn’s Jacobs and Ukraine’s Derevyanchenko are trained by the same man, Andre Rozier, but Keith Connolly, who manages Derevyanchenko and Jacobs, told BoxingScene.com last week they would be willing to fight for the IBF title (https://www.boxingscene.com/manager-if-not-canelo-jacobs-fight-derevyanchenko-next--128907).
The IBF stripped Golovkin of its middleweight title last week for failing to adhere to terms to an exception the IBF granted Golovkin to fight Vanes Martirosyan last month.
The IBF has ordered negotiations to begin for the top-ranked Derevyanchenko (12-0, 10 KOs) and the third-rated Jacobs to fight next. If Jacobs doesn’t fight Alvarez and a deal can’t be made for a Derevyanchenko-Jacobs bout within 30 days of the IBF’s order Monday, Derevyanchenko-Jacobs would go to purse bid.
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.