By Keith Idec
NEWARK, New Jersey – Gennady Golovkin followed through on his recent pledge to submit to even more stringent testing by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.
Golovkin participated in random blood and urine testing by VADA from early February through his second-round knockout of Vanes Martirosyan on May 5 as part of the WBC’s Clean Boxing Program.
Trainer Abel Sanchez estimated two days before Golovkin beat Martirosyan that Golovkin had been tested 10 times for performance-enhancing drugs during that three-month period.
To further demonstrate his commitment to proving he is a clean fighter, Golovkin has reached an agreement with VADA to be tested even more often than if he only were enrolled in the Clean Boxing Program.
“He was tested through his fight May 5 and we enrolled this week to continue testing to his next fight,” Tom Loeffler, Golovkin’s promoter, told BoxingScene.com on Tuesday. “We inquired last week and then I just sent the confirming email today to VADA. So they’re gonna start probably as soon as he gets back to L.A. with his testing.”
Kazakhstan’s Golovkin, who resides in Santa Monica, California, is scheduled to return home Wednesday from the New York area. The middleweight champion attended the IBF’s hearing Tuesday related to his mandatory title defense against Sergiy Derevyanchenko (https://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-derevyanchenko-ibf-ruling-expected-soon--128409).
The 36-year-old Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) is paying for his additional VADA testing from now through his next fight, likely a rematch against Canelo Alvarez on September 15 in Las Vegas.
Alvarez agreed last week to subject himself to VADA’s random blood and urine testing 365 days a year. The suspended superstar also is paying for his stricter testing program in the aftermath of a PED ordeal that forced the cancelation of his lucrative rematch against Golovkin on May 5.
Alvarez’s enrollment in VADA’s year-round testing program improved the odds of a Golovkin-Alvarez rematch being rescheduled soon for September 15.
“It’s a big step forward,” Loeffler said. “Originally, there were some statements made that he wouldn’t enroll until a contract was signed for his next fight. But for a guy trying to proclaim his innocence, we definitely think he did the right thing. Gennady is gonna be testing all the way through to his next fight, and we definitely think it’s a step in the right direction for Canelo to do that. Frankly, in light of what happened with Canelo’s positive tests, Gennady is gonna require that of any future opponent, that they’ll be enrolled in the VADA testing.”
The 27-year-old Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) tested positive for clenbuterol twice in February. Alvarez claims contaminated meat consumed in his native Mexico caused him to test positive.
Those failed tests still led to a six-month suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which should end after August 17.
Fans and media criticized Alvarez for failing to remain in the WBC’s Clean Boxing Program following the extension of his suspension April 18. Golovkin, meanwhile, told BoxingScene.com two days before he beat Martirosyan that he would submit to intensified testing following that bout.
“Gennady’s been committed to a clean sport, to respecting the sport of boxing,” Loeffler said. “And Abel has been very outspoken about wanting Gennady to be tested and his opponents to be tested. Because Abel doesn’t want any aspersions [cast on Golovkin] because of his knockout power.
“Abel said from the beginning people are gonna start questioning why he’s hitting so hard, so he felt that it was critical that Gennady be tested. And with everything that has come up now with testing, and when that testing actually starts, it’s critical that anyone that fights him is enrolled with the VADA testing.”
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.