By Steve Kim
Regardless of what is being said or claimed by those at Golden Boy Promotions - IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin is not looking to withdraw from his planned rematch with Canelo Alvarez.
On Tuesday, Golovkin lashed out at Canelo - claiming the Mexican superstar's failed drug tests from February, which came up positive for clenbuterol, was just a taste of Canelo's drug usage.
The allegations caused Golden Boy President Eric Gomez to question GGG's willingness to go forward with the rematch - "It sounds like he wants out of the fight, he doesn't sound confident," stated Gomez to BoxingScene.com. "If he wants out of the fight he should say so. But these comments, it's very different and contrary to what he said last week - very different and contrary."
According to Tom Loeffler, the head of GGG Promotions, his man is ready to go on May 5th at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
"Gennady's 100-percent committed to the fight. He wanted the first fight, we worked very hard to make the first fight. It was a very successful promotion, everything went smooth till the scorecards were read. So he wanted the rematch since that first fight," said Loeffler, referencing the disputed draw back in September.
While Golovkin has ramped up his comments regarding Alvarez's positive drug test and his suspicions of his past usage of PED's, Loeffler reiterates to BoxingScene.com - "He's committed to doing the fight. I think he was just frustrated that the media kept asking him questions about 'Canelo' and the testing and everything like that.
"So he was just voicing some frustration but it's clearly up to the Nevada commission, what they're going to rule and we're just waiting on some clarification on how they're going to conduct their investigation."
It's clear that the normally reserved Golovkin wanted to get a few things off his chest regarding this situation as he met various members of the media in Big Bear.
Loeffler explained - "I think it was a combination of both people continually asking him about it, other people sending him notes about why he isn't doing more about it, why isn't he speaking up about it. Things of that nature. So it's just a combination of everything but clearly he wants to get 'Canelo' back in the ring and show that he's the best middleweight champion in the world."
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.