According to Tom Loeffler, promoter for IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, says his fighter is now willing to move away from a 50-50 monetary demand for a rematch with Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez.
The rematch was targeted for September 15, likely for T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Earlier this week, the negotiations broke down after Golovkin would not step away from a 50-50 split - while Canelo was standing firm on a 65-35 demand.
But on Wednesday, the IBF stripped Golovkin of their middleweight belt - for his failure to reach an deal to make a mandatory world title defense against challenger Sergiy Derevyanchenko.
Based on the IBF's recent order, Golovkin is ready to make a rematch deal.
Golovkin's decision comes on the back of the recent announcement by Canelo's promoter, Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions, who stated that the rematch discussions were dead and they were going to pursue a fight with Daniel Jacobs.
“Gennady would agree to come off the 50 percent in order to make it work,” Loeffler said to the Las Vegas Review Journal. “I’m thinking about all the plans for Triple G’s next fight, although the IBF made it a lot easier to not worry about the IBF mandatory.
“I’ve been talking to [Golden Boy Promotions President] Eric Gomez on a regular basis. I don’t want to criticize what Oscar [De La Hoya] said. It’s clearly the biggest fight for both guys and the biggest fight in boxing. It’s my job and Eric’s job to figure out a way to make the fight work.”
Golovkin was scheduled to fight Canelo on May 5th, but instead he blasted out late replacement Vanes Martirosyan in two rounds.
The May date fell apart when Canelo tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol - which forced the Mexican star to withdraw from the contest. He was later hit with a six month suspension, retroactive to February 17, by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.