No announcement yet.

I sparred a professional tomato can and I got whooped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sparred a professional tomato can and I got whooped

I am sick of seeing stupid comments made by people who think they know it all as far as boxing is concerned and labeling 90% of boxers as bums or no good.

Well, I want to share an experience that I had sparring with a guy who fought as a pro and whose career record was 13-27. He's a great guy too so I won't mention his name to embarrass him. As a matter of fact by creating this thread I am embarrassing myself to all those armchair experts who think they can do it better than the pro fighters.

So just a little info about me. I started training boxing when I was 14 and I trained for a year. I was about average. When I was 15 I injured my back and had to give up the sport. I was in rehabilitation for 2 years and then decided to come back when I was 17, I trained for 5,6 months and I believe I was a little better than before but had to quit, moved to North America.

So at age of 21 weighing roughly 135 pounds at 5 7 I joined a boxing studio at a fitness gym and after a couple of months I asked the trainer, the pro fighter in question, "the tomato can" to spar me. He was about 5 9, a southpaw and a little heavier than me. He took it easy on me but I got overconfident and decided to open up. I landed a few good hard shots then he got upset he tried to get me back. He couldn't at first then he slowed me down with a few precise body shots and he pretty much teed off on me. He wasn't a heavy puncher, but I just received too many punches period to the point where I was getting angrier and angrier wanting to kill him, but then decided that will make it only worse so I took a knee.

So the moral of the story is actually kinda funny. I'm a boxing fan and I talk a lot about boxing. So I've sparred a few guys bigger and stronger but without much or any boxing experience. Sometimes the sparring sessions have been close at other times I've beat up guys boxing who would outweigh me by as much as 85 pounds. So all these guys thought they would be better than me just because of size, they weren't but it's a lot of these same guys that would talk crap about pro boxers and fighters at featherweight. I mean I got beat up by a "tomato can" who campaigned at 135 and 140. It's just so ridiculous the ego that some people have.

Anybody else shared the ring with a pro fighter who was good or bad and how you fared?

This is why I have a problem with the avg fans calling pro fighters bums...

I have sparred many pros in my career and even now once in a while in the ring and the one's that people would call "bums" would beat the **** out of 90% of most people.

I sparred Edvan Barros about a year ago, and he ran circles around me.

Comment

13-27?

i think we just found Gary Russel's next opponent

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        This is why I have a problem with the avg fans calling pro fighters bums...

I have sparred many pros in my career and even now once in a while in the ring and the one's that people would call "bums" would beat the **** out of 90% of most people.

I sparred Edvan Barros about a year ago, and he ran circles around me.
        In defense of the word " BUM" ... I know you been around enough to know that with in the Boxing world...(the real one) The word Bum is used quite frequently. Its meaning is all based on how its presented and by who.
        A guy who never laced up in his life has no purpose calling a real bum fighter an bum! lol. If he were to spar with a (bum) hed get his as handed to him in first minute.
        Bum can be used and is used in reference to under achievers and over hyped fighter. Its not used to be so sensitive. Its a well known word in Boxing used by even top elite fighters.
        Last edited by PAC-BOY; 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
          I am sick of seeing stupid comments made by people who think they know it all as far as boxing is concerned and labeling 90% of boxers as bums or no good.

Well, I want to share an experience that I had sparring with a guy who fought as a pro and whose career record was 13-27. He's a great guy too so I won't mention his name to embarrass him. As a matter of fact by creating this thread I am embarrassing myself to all those armchair experts who think they can do it better than the pro fighters.

So just a little info about me. I started training boxing when I was 14 and I trained for a year. I was about average. When I was 15 I injured my back and had to give up the sport. I was in rehabilitation for 2 years and then decided to come back when I was 17, I trained for 5,6 months and I believe I was a little better than before but had to quit, moved to North America.

So at age of 21 weighing roughly 135 pounds at 5 7 I joined a boxing studio at a fitness gym and after a couple of months I asked the trainer, the pro fighter in question, "the tomato can" to spar me. He was about 5 9, a southpaw and a little heavier than me. He took it easy on me but I got overconfident and decided to open up. I landed a few good hard shots then he got upset he tried to get me back. He couldn't at first then he slowed me down with a few precise body shots and he pretty much teed off on me. He wasn't a heavy puncher, but I just received too many punches period to the point where I was getting angrier and angrier wanting to kill him, but then decided that will make it only worse so I took a knee.

So the moral of the story is actually kinda funny. I'm a boxing fan and I talk a lot about boxing. So I've sparred a few guys bigger and stronger but without much or any boxing experience. Sometimes the sparring sessions have been close at other times I've beat up guys boxing who would outweigh me by as much as 85 pounds. So all these guys thought they would be better than me just because of size, they weren't but it's a lot of these same guys that would talk crap about pro boxers and fighters at featherweight. I mean I got beat up by a "tomato can" who campaigned at 135 and 140. It's just so ridiculous the ego that some people have.

Anybody else shared the ring with a pro fighter who was good or bad and how you fared?
          Its always that way....When I was coming up in martial arts I was the runt of my group. But because we fought for realI would always encounter these idiots that wanted to spar and did not have a clue about how to fight...the same said idiots were "deadly" martial artists. haha

Comment

There's nothing wrong with using the term "bum." We're talking about a very old term that dates well beyond anyone on this board was born, and has frequently been used by the boxers themselves. Compared to those competing at or near a world class level, that's what they are. It's nothing personal, just a means of emphasising the different levels that exist in boxing.

The real problem is the goons who use this term to denigrate any boxer who isn't rated among the absolute best in the sport. The people who do use the term so loosely (and are being serious) are almost always casual boxing fans with no real clue of the sport beyond the big names.

Comment

You can never have FULL RESPECT for a sport until you actually TRY TO DO IT! One sparring session will change a fans prospective on the sport of boxing instead of sitting on the internet just bashing every fighter you don't like...I sparred a young Amateur and got picked apart, couldn't really land anything because he was Too Quick, this fukin guy even when I cut the ring off and thought I had him cornered when I would let my hands go he would pop me with a jab and be gone I did not know if he went to my left or right and with the head gear your Peripheral Vision is not that great but yeah it does make you respect the sport of boxing even more

These guys WORK HARD and what they do for a living is NOT EASY so when it comes to trying to get the MOST MONEY POSSIBLE even if that means Cherry Picking opponents that you can make the most money with while you can...I UNDERSTAND!

Sure it is some boxers I am not the biggest fan of but I always try to respect them all regardless of how annoying their fans are

Comment

I'm sorry that Amir Khan schooled you. What's he like in person?

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post

Maybe you suck a bit too.

But yea, most fighters even ones with 10-32 records, can whoop 95% of the asses in this forum except for maybe JSFD26. That kid seems to read a lot about boxing and I can see him giving dudes a clinic.

Comment

I have sparred a few pros but nobody special,,, Sparred George CArter Jr, years ago in galesburg, he is now an undefeated prospect and that is 10-0 now,,, Mostly alot of golden gloves champions, and other top amateurs from around the midwest,,,,, I never turned pro, so i dont have a whole lot of experience vs pros,,,,,, I had over 20 amateur fights and a bunch of exhibitions and smokers in the army,,,,,

Our gym produces alot of mma fighters that have gone into bellator, ufc, dream,,,
                    guys like derrick noble, dan hornbuckle, and kenny robertson,,, Those guys all have decent stand up ability, and can crack hard,,,,, all were bigger than me, but i liked sparring the toughest guys because it made me feel like i could handle whatever when i actually did fight,,,,,
                    Derrick Noble, early in my amateur career, cracked me with a body shot that felt like a gunshot,,,,, it was the first time i had been hit with that perfect body shot, much like macklin or virgil hill,,, or even barker,,, that shot hurts so bad,,, i really dont know how barker continued after geale landed that shot,,,,,,

Anyone that calls any pro fighter a bum is crazy,,, all these guys can fight,,,,
                    I generally use the term bum,, when talking about a guy with no-hope of winning,,
                    like i would call brusceles a bum for floyd,,, but in reality bruscles would be tough as hell to spar,,,,,

Comment

Working...
                    X