No announcement yet.

I sparred a professional tomato can and I got whooped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RacistKiller View Post
    When I hear a death and a fight is dedicated to a lost one, I know something brings out the true grit. Barker must have did it for his brother in training, that extra 10%.
    yeah,, didnt really think about that,, good point,,, because when you get hit with one of those shots its just crippling,,, I have never been ko'd cold on the chin so i dont know what that feels like,,, but the body shot, especially one you didnt seem coming, is like the greatest pain in the world,,
    Barker was a straight G in that fight,,,, amazing heart

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      yeah,, didnt really think about that,, good point,,, because when you get hit with one of those shots its just crippling,,, I have never been ko'd cold on the chin so i dont know what that feels like,,, but the body shot, especially one you didnt seem coming, is like the greatest pain in the world,,
      Barker was a straight G in that fight,,,, amazing heart
      No doubt man recovering from a body shot is not easy.

Comment

I had the honor of sparring one pro fighter (He has a 10-1 record and the loss was BS).

He took it easy on me and was in control the whole time. He's a cruiser and I'm a middle though, so I doubt I'd ever be able to hurt him regardless.

I'd take any opportunity at all to spar with pro fighters as that is for sure the best way to learn, but I'd know my place and I have full respect for any pro.

OP, good on you for trying though.

Comment

It doesnt even have to be a "bum" professional, there are 15 year old amateurs that would make easy work out of some grown men

Comment

A "Bum" to me is someone without effort and pride! Someone who picks up the short money and looks toduck out! There really isn't much of that these days because the live gate shows aren't as prevalent!!

I had an old friend who ran a boxing gym in Greenwich Ct. my boxing team used to fight his kids often at base shows and we would see them at some regionals also! I mentioned him on the forum once and someones retort was that he was a bum!!! His pro record is listed at 75W & 75L (revised to 69 & 68 stopped 3 times) as a heavyweight.
            His name is "Tiger" Ted Lowery, I can tell everyone that these so called bums would kick the living crap out of 99.9% of the men walking around today, as to the forum theres no one that I've read thats going any kind of rounds with Lowery! He was not as gifted as some but he did represent the game by being "in it"! He was a full time fighter who boxed for extra money along with his day job. This was the majority rule with 90% of the boxers during his era (1940s-50s)
            He fought Marciano twice, the first bout was a close dec. that earned him a rematch against Rocky. Ted told me that he had over 200 fights in his career and he never fought anyone like Marciano, after the first round he decided to box with Rocky and not fall inside at all!!!!!
            So the record isn't as impressive as ed would have hoped for but it doesnt mean he was a "bum"! Anyoe with 100+ fights who was stopped only 3 times is NO Bum!
            I hate when people come into a life style or activity and use the terminology thats been present for 100 years inproperly!! It shows how much they actually don't know what their taking about!!! Ray.

Tiger passed away in 2010 at the age of 90!! Helped alot of kids in his time and was a tuff but fair trainer!
            Last edited by Ray Corso; 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
              13-27?

i think we just found Gary Russel's next opponent
              Since OP didn't say his name, it's safe to say it'S TBA, correct?

Comment

I sparred
                Carl Dilks
                Gegard Adjetovich
                Andy Colquhoun

first 2 guys played with me and just took it easy Andy was closer to my age so we used to have a good tear up but hes too ****y thinks hes Mayweather cause he beat journeyman in his first 7 pro fights

Comment

I have sparred with pros who didn't have good records, even if they aren't world class talent they have skills and have been doing this a long time so yeah you generally gets schooled by them in sparring but learn alot every time.

Never sparred my trainer though he beat alot of local unknowns but usually lost against guys on the world class level, no doubt he probably would have had an easy time with me in sparring but I'm sure I would have learned something from the sessions.

Comment

Yea I sparred a guy who was just starting out as a pro from doing tough man contests and he wasn't regarded as the best as far as I have heard people talking I wouldn't say he's a tomato can but he def was a lot better than I expected for having no amateur background. I got rocked although he was a cruiserweight and i had only 3 amateur fights and was weight about 145

Comment

great thread. keep in mind not only could these guys beat you they could probably do it anyway they damn well pleased. a pure boxer with no power and a losing record could fight like joe frazier and tear you apart and a wild brawler with a losing record could box your ears off.

to quote adrien broner, "there are levels to this *****". if a fighter is good enough to turn pro and have a dozen or more fights he knows how to fight and then some.

Comment

Working...
                      X