Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Fighter could have had a better career for various reasons?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Nor me.

Then again they say he was in shape when he fought at Middleweight and he was mostly garbage there so maybe the reality is he just isn't that good?
    He only had one bad performance at middleweight to me, against Tiberi. that was his 5th title fight in 9 months and less than 2 months after McCallum 1. He had a really bad night, it happens.

McCallum was a great fighter so there's no shame in fighting close with him, and no shame in a young contender being behind on points against Nunn for 10 rounds. He rallied to beat Nunn anyway.

But he underachieved from 1995 through 2002.

Comment

Sonny Liston had he not been forced to take a couple of dives against Ali

Stanley Ketchel had he not been murdered.

Harry Greb and Tiger Flowers had they not had impaired vision and died at a young age from the same corrective surgery.

Paul Williams prior to being paralyzed.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Reek View Post
        He only had one bad performance at middleweight to me, against Tiberi. that was his 5th title fight in 9 months and less than 2 months after McCallum 1. He had a really bad night, it happens.

McCallum was a great fighter so there's no shame in fighting close with him, and no shame in a young contender being behind on points against Nunn for 10 rounds. He rallied to beat Nunn anyway.

But he underachieved from 1995 through 2002.
        That's a funny one.

So what were Sanderline Williams, Merqui Sosa and Reggie Johnson then?

Could argue he lost all those fights.

Johnson made him look like an absolute novice for the majority of the fight as did Nunn.

The only fight where he looked decent was against a past his best McCallum and he didn't even win it.

Comment

Andre Ward. Could've had an even better career without that long layoff and if he had stuck around longer to at least successfully defend the light heavyweight title a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
            I throw out the examples of Salvador Sanchez because of his car accident?
            Roberto Duran because of his self inflicted weight issues and having to reduce that weight to be to meet his optimum weight class.
            Ray Leonard's detached retina

Please throw up examples of fighters who could have be rated higher as a atg if an early death, injury or poor training habits hurt there carreer
            Everyone who ever got robbed.

In an alternate timeline...........

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
              I throw out the examples of Salvador Sanchez because of his car accident?
              Roberto Duran because of his self inflicted weight issues and having to reduce that weight to be to meet his optimum weight class.
              Ray Leonard's detached retina

Please throw up examples of fighters who could have be rated higher as a atg if an early death, injury or poor training habits hurt there carreer
              Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              That's a funny one.

So what were Sanderline Williams, Merqui Sosa and Reggie Johnson then?

Could argue he lost all those fights.

Johnson made him look like an absolute novice for the majority of the fight as did Nunn.

The only fight where he looked decent was against a past his best McCallum and he didn't even win it.
              Sanderline Williams Is an interesting case for this topic.

Nobody knows who he is.
              But Imagine he actually got the wins he deserved against Toney and Benn. (I can't remember If he actually beat Barkly doe)

Imagine what a difference it would have made to Castillo and Maidanas lives If they got the wins when they beat mayweather.

When you think about it WWF wrestling is more real than boxing ever could be.
              At least they don't pretend to be a sport...

Comment

Not anymore they don't, calling themselves sports entertainment. And it's WWE, not WWF anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Not anymore they don't, calling themselves sports entertainment. And it's WWE, not WWF anymore.
                  What do you mean?

I know they call themsleves "sports entertainment"
                  And that Is what boxing should be called!!

Boxing Is not real competition/sport. It's manufactured.

Comment

Originally posted by lightsout_finit View Post
                    What do you mean?

I know they call themsleves "sports entertainment"
                    And that Is what boxing should be called!!

Boxing Is not real competition/sport. It's manufactured.
                    What I mean is, the company doesn't call itself WWF anymore. They've been WWE since mid to late 2002, after the World Wildlife Fund sued them over the rights to the name. Now they're called WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment. Here's their website: http://www.wwe.com/

Comment

And not sure about manufactured, but I do know too few boxers seem to want to unify titles these days, which really sucks. How could one call himself the best if he's not willing to face all title holders. He can't, unless he's at least lineal.

Comment

Working...
                      X