Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Fighter could have had a better career for various reasons?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Fighter could have had a better career for various reasons?

I throw out the examples of Salvador Sanchez because of his car accident?
    Roberto Duran because of his self inflicted weight issues and having to reduce that weight to be to meet his optimum weight class.
    Ray Leonard's detached retina

Please throw up examples of fighters who could have be rated higher as a atg if an early death, injury or poor training habits hurt there carreer

Broner. Judah. Bowe (he was brain damaged by late 20’s). Victor Ortiz.
    Tyson.

Comment

Joan Guzman because of lack of discipline leading to weight issues. he ould have been one of the best ever. Yuriorkis Gamboa because of promotional decisions

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID READ View Post
        Joan Guzman because of lack of discipline leading to weight issues. he ould have been one of the best ever. Yuriorkis Gamboa because of promotional decisions
        Oh man, I loved Gamboa. Can't believe how hard and fast he fell or at least it seems, since the Crawford fight. Tyson due to lack of focus and mental health issues.

Comment

I guess we should also include Ali. It's hard to imagine him having a much better career, but he lost 3 of his prime years when he refused the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID READ View Post
            I guess we should also include Ali. It's hard to imagine him having a much better career, but he lost 3 of his prime years when he refused the draft.
            very good example

Comment

James Kirkland if he quit being a ******.

Adonis Stevenson if he quit being so opposed to fighting top guys in recent years.

Fernando Vargas if he'd not been moved so quickly into the big fights.

Comment

David Reid, if not for that eye issue. They had to fast track him because of that and it ruined him

Comment

Not sure I'd put Duran on that list. While he had great fights after moving up and being notably lazier, the brunt of his career was built before then in my opinion. Not many fighters coming from so little accomplished and kept accomplishing for so long. It's easy to pick him out, but how many others can lay claim to what he achieved?

Comment

For poor training habits you could put in Buster Douglas and Benitez.

George Foreman took a long break because of some weird sighting of God or whatever.

Tyson and Ali spent time in jail during their prime years. (I know Ali wasn't physically locked up).

James Scott was also jailed but it's a big question if he could have made atg status.

Vitali Klitschko was out for a number of years because of injuries.

I'm sure there can be made a very long list.

Comment

Working...
                    X