Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

breaking down this heavyweight era and others: Why today stinks!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Yeah, I'm against putting Heavies on p4p lists and have caught some flak for it. I generally don't like p4p anyway and think they're bull**** for anything more than a fun exercise in the meaningless :hah9:
    And.....many knowledgable boxing trainers feel that Ali actually missed his prime and think he would have even been better if not for the riff that caused him to get banned.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Thats because you guys don't really get it see? its not just that modern fighters have gotten bigger, they have actually evolved. Over the course of one or two generations today's fighters have gotten bigger, faster, and a lot smarter also! Even though it takes most species thousands of years humans are special. If you were to take the skeleton of Joe Louis and a Klit brother you would find that the Louis skeleton practically just lost the tail at the Sacral area of the spine. The Klit skeleton would meanwhile have extra vertabrea fused in from our adaptation to gravity....producing incredible punching power like the ancients have never seen.

And all those old trainers....like Futch were superstitious. Today's trainers are totally scientific!
      I encourage everybody to green k this post!

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        I encourage everybody to green k this post!
        I wanted to but I "have to spread it around first" :chuckle9:

Comment

• This was an interesting study. I'm looking forward to doing another one from the past few years to determine where THIS era stands as of now.

Mind you, newer era's have weakened due to so many orgs and the politics of said orgs. But that all bears weight on an era's strength or weakness.

Comment

• ITs easy to look at other era’s, having seen a full career pan out , and decide it was a great era. Similarly you forget overtime about the dull fights and remember only the best.

We have yet to see what the likes of Whyte, Joshua, Parker, etc carve out of a career. Let’s give them that opportunity and thrive on what is around us rather than compare to other generations. The judge of that can come over time.

For the moment The heavyweight division is as interesting to watch as any , I don’t think I could’ve named ten heavyweight ms I was truly interested in watching 5 years ago now I could easily ..

Joshua, Whyte, Povetkin, Ortiz, wilder, Parker, fury, Miller - let’s be quite realistic. Any of these fighters most of us on here would watch and in a fight against each other, despite there being clear favourites , you could see arguments for any beating any. Most of them haven’t fought each other yet so next couple of years could throw a number of good foghts

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              This was an interesting study. I'm looking forward to doing another one from the past few years to determine where THIS era stands as of now.

Mind you, newer era's have weakened due to so many orgs and the politics of said orgs. But that all bears weight on an era's strength or weakness.
              Great thread and research mate. I don't know if you saw but i was looking at doing a very similar thing in your 'Rummys Corner' thread

I especially like the research on the kind of competition the challengers faced, as i feel that is the biggest difference between now and the past. Lots of fighters in Kbro era sat around waiting for the payday, and consequently werent proven or experienced by the time they got in the ring to face such a great fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post
                Yeah, I'm against putting Heavies on p4p lists and have caught some flak for it. I generally don't like p4p anyway and think they're bull**** for anything more than a fun exercise in the meaningless :hah9:
                I think it really depends on what your P4P list is for.

If its a traditional p4p list, ie, if they were the same size who would be the best in the world type thing, then yeah HWs are gonna have a hard time.

But, imo that type of list is normally extremely flawed, and most lists, includong mine, tend more towards purely about greatness in that era, how dominant were you, how good were your opponents. In which case i see no reason M.Ali couldnt be in the top 10. I generally judge HWs differently as well, they arent going to be able to fight loads of champions or move around the weights, so i cant mark them down for that. For them its all about top 5/ top 10 opposition and who you dethroned, whether you beat some of the top guys from the era after yours etc.

Ali has a preposterous resume really. He did everything you could ever want a HW to do, and i see no reason he cant be one of the top P4P fighters of all time

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  Great thread and research mate. I don't know if you saw but i was looking at doing a very similar thing in your 'Rummys Corner' thread

I especially like the research on the kind of competition the challengers faced, as i feel that is the biggest difference between now and the past. Lots of fighters in Kbro era sat around waiting for the payday, and consequently werent proven or experienced by the time they got in the ring to face such a great fighter.
                  Thanks man, I appreciate that. Feel free to throw in anything you can dig up yourself. I don't have as much time these days as I use to.

Comment

Working...
                  X