Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has a better resume, Sugar Ray Leonard or Floyd Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by djtmal View Post
    Dude,

You said Floyd beat more champions, I said cool
    You said Floyd is undefeated spanning 5 Divisions, I said cool.

You prefer Floyd having an undefeated run @ ww to B and C level paper champs past his prime (lets just call it what it is), to Srl's welter run having wins on 1 prime top ten all-time great in Hearns, 1 HOF Lineal welter in Benitez, but dropping a decision to a not so great welter in Duran even though he beat him in a rematch, I said cool

All I asked for was 1 name that Floyd beat over the 5 divisions he's fought at that ranks higher than any of Sugar's prime elite atg wins.

Crickets every f**king time.

So what the problem or the excuse now.
    There are almost no all time great lists that have Hearns inside the top ten so cut it out. And I'm pretty sure Manny Pacquiao will have a greater legacy than Hearns or Hagler and one comparable to Duran. Now I know you'll say Pacquiao was past prime when they finally faced off, which is fair, but when you combine the win over Pacquiao with the wins over De La Hoya, Cotto, Canelo, and Shane Mosley you get a resume that rivals that of Leonard's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
      Floyd doesnt have one name win that will rank as high as Hearns or Duran .

But he has wins overall that are better than Ray when looking at the entire resume .

Dont you understand a resume is body of work, its a combination of many things.

Go and look at Hector Camachos resume its better than both if you wanna talk names lol .

If we were talking about here, Floyd and another fighter from his era, I would buy into this, because in this era, you have far more champs in a divison. Hell 5 guys out the top ten contenders can hold a f**king belt. Hell you think Sugar Ray, couldn't thrive in this era of boxing beating paper champs?

But you know good and well, in Srl's era, there were fewer Divisions, and far fewer champs, but one thing is for certain about 70's and 80's boxing: the dude at the top of the division, was THE CHAMP. If you beat that guy, you were THE CHAMP.

So yeah, it favors Floyd if you just want to add up guys who have a portion of a title, but was not THE CHAMP. That's why when looking at guys and analyzing guys from different eras, what makes the playing field even, is who you beat and when you beat them, that's it and that's all. Floyd beat Marquez, he was what #2 p4p, but at ww, was he THE CHAMP. Hell to the ****ing no. Floyd don't get style points for that.

When Sugar beat Benitez, he became Lineal, then when he beat Hearns, he became unified, undisputed, lineal ww CHAMP. He didn't beat 100 paper champs to call it soup because boxing wasn't established like that in the 70's and 80's. When he beat Hagler, he became Undisputed, Lineal, MW CHAMP. Get the picture. Floyd in this era can beat a beltholder with a name, and duck the rest of the division and call himself TBE. Big difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
        There are almost no all time great lists that have Hearns inside the top ten so cut it out. And I'm pretty sure Manny Pacquiao will have a greater legacy than Hearns or Hagler and one comparable to Duran. Now I know you'll say Pacquiao was past prime when they finally faced off, which is fair, but when you combine the win over Pacquiao with the wins over De La Hoya, Cotto, Canelo, and Shane Mosley you get a resume that rivals that of Leonard's.
        And Floyd was just as much past prime as what Manny was, people seem to think Floyd was always prime, he wasnt his best fighting weight was 130 yet he is compared to guys that started at 147.

People really underestimate Floyds entire body of work and his climb through weight divisions, if he stayed at 130 all his career he would destroyed most everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by djtmal View Post
          The funny s**t is, these Floyd boys, always say Floyd is TBE, Floyd can beat Sugar, has a better resume then Ali, can beat Duran and Hearns, etc. Then you ask them to give you a name on their resume to suggest he can do all this s**t, they can't do it. They start talking about 49-0, and how many paper champs he beat. Lol
          He did beat canelo, who at 5'7'' is this HUGE guy

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
            Are you paying attention man I said Thomas hearns @ welterweight atg forget top ten he's probably top 5. He was #4 on the list I provided.

Naw, if Floyd had the 2009 version of Pacquaio, that would be different. THAT would have been special. Pacqauaio had already been ko'd by Marquez, Marquez is a Hof'er not all time great and Floyd dragged him up two divisions. Nothing special. Just too little too late. Floyd's best guys were just too shopworn by the time he fought them. Alvarez, I don't see Alvarez having that great of a career that suggests Floyd trumps The Sugar Man. I can't blame you Floyd boys for trying though. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
              You lying Fool, it was FLOYD who was disadvantaged. Not them.

He was old as dirt, and half their size and twice their age. Pathetic liar you are Lol
              Don't ever quote me again you ****ing ******.

Your posts make me CRINGE.
              Last edited by robertzimmerman; 01-27-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                And Floyd was just as much past prime as what Manny was, people seem to think Floyd was always prime, he wasnt his best fighting weight was 130 yet he is compared to guys that started at 147.

People really underestimate Floyds entire body of work and his climb through weight divisions, if he stayed at 130 all his career he would destroyed most everyone.
                Let me tell you a couple of things. When Floyd beat Hernandez for his first title shot @ 130, that was special. When he beat Corrales @ 135, that was special. When he beat Oscar @ 154, then came back down to 147 to beat Hatton, that was special. He was definitely on his way, but man after Hatton he fell off bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  He did beat canelo, who at 5'7'' is this HUGE guy
                  Lol. He has to hope Canelo becomes an all-time great, it magnifies his win

Comment

• djtmal,

Exactly, and I was not the biggest Sugar Ray fan by any stretch, but he earned my respect and Marvin Hagler, is my favorite fighter, that 117-111 card for Sugar Ray was highly questionable, but man Hagler made some costly mistakes in underestimating Sugar Ray, by boxing orthodox the first three or four rounds. He made it too close of a fight, couldn't make up enough ground and lost on the cards. Sugar Ray, fought a masterful fight, made Hagler miss, threw some nice combinations, even sat down with Marvelous in the 9th round.
                    Marvin made a huge error by not fighting as a southpaw. I can still hear Gill Clancy questioning it. Like you've noted, he gave away the early rounds.

Sugar Ray, Hagler, Hearns, Duran. Especially Sugar Ray, because when the smoke cleared, he was the last man left standing. These guys are the measuring sticks. This era of fighters and future eras, if anybody, is going to lay claim to being the best ever. You better realize that your resume, will be analyzed from top to bottom, from unbiased cats, who actually lived boxing in the 70's and 80's, watched Wide World Of Sports, went to the closed circuit televised events, and actually recognized the significance of these events. A welterweight title fight, or any closed circuit title fight, was two guys who were at their peak, getting down for lineal supremacy, and the winner was the MAN and can trace the lineage back to the bare knuckle days. No take this test. No excuses for why legacy or lineage fights can't be made. Not this watered down stuff of today, where the top ten contenders, 5 of 'em are beltholders, and none of 'em fight each other. These days you got #5 and 6 contenders, ducking each other, trying to build up a fight. LOL.
                    Great points.

Yes, Boxing has been watered down in these last 15-20 years.

It's a real shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by SemiGreat View Post
                      many ATGs never fought that many people in a single year.
                      1) compare all hofers by that standard.
                      2) i wonder if those 22 guys were clowns or LEGIT contenderS
                      Floyd gets his hands injected to numb them to fight once a year in the end, these guys never threw tantrums about what gloves their opponent wore, these guys never had the nutritional advantage floyd did, Robinson was always on the road fighting all over the country, floyd stuck to Vegas, you really picked a good avatar to represent the real you,

Comment

Working...
                      X