Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Leonard won a title at Light HW, Can You Imagine A WW Doing That Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lalonde was drained badly jeezus this forum has the worst boxing judges on the internet .

Comment

Roy Jones won his first world title at 160 and went onto win the heavyweight title with Ruiz weighing in at 226 which is a 66 pound difference if you go from the smaller weights its like going from light flyweight to light heavyweight which would result in him potentially being a 14 weight world champion

Comment

Sugar Ray Leonard started his career at 140, fought there 3-4 times then moved up to 147, so practically he started at 147, plus he fought Lalonde at 168, so Lalonde had to come fown all the way from 175 to 168 to fight for his title at 175, and of course Leonard got a crack at the vacant 168 title too even though he never fought there before cuz of his popularity.

That's a 21 lbs climb, impressive, but it's been done before, Duran moved up from 135 to 160, these are 25 lbs, Mayweather moved up from 130 to 154 and won the title at 154 3 different times against 3 Hall of famers, not Lalonde or Barkley, so it's impressive what Leonard has done, but it's been surpassed.

Comment

Floyd has got to watch this fight as well, and then sign the contract to fight GGG at middleweight at at a CW of 157

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            What they said. Imagine Andre Ward fighting Kovalev at 168 for his 175 belts and how pissed people would be now. You think anyone would give him credit?
            More like Golovkin fighting Kovalev at 168.

I'm still pretty shocked that Lalonde made the weight and wasn't dead at the weight.

Ended up being a great fight but it doesn't change the b*tch move Leonard pulled. But Leonard had his diva ways. People think fighters being divas is new, believe me it ain't.
            Last edited by IronDanHamza; 07-07-2015, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Paul Williams is the only recent WW to have the frame to move up that many weight classes and still have success. Obviously we'll never know, which is a crying shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
                Rewatched Leonard's fight with Lalonde for the WBC light heavyweight title, crazy stuff. The guy was huge and Ray admitted that every punch hurt, Donny looked like he was gonna get Leonard out of there multiple times but SRL made a comeback and even stopped the LHW. That is some serious power. Can you imagine a welterweight attempting that today? Fight is well worth the watch. Credit to John Molina Jr for recommending it.

http://youtu.be/J8ucSrfueFc
                First off, SRL is a top 10 ATG. No current welterweight matches that.

Second and the anti-catchweight crowd will hate this, he fought for the light heavyweight title at the super middleweight limit. So, I wonder what many today would have thought of that?

Comment

Originally posted by vorgaphe View Post
                  Paul Williams is the only recent WW to have the frame to move up that many weight classes and still have success. Obviously we'll never know, which is a crying shame.
                  YES. Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

No way..........

[SIZE="4"]No way. Noone could do that today. Nobody has the balls or the frame to attempt that. I saw a poster say that Paul Williams would be idea. No he wouldn't. Why? Because he is tall? Long reach? So! He was SKINNY as hell and had no power. He would've gotten KO'ed trying to do what Ray did. And for those who say Ray was just a mere top 10-15 all-time; Name 10-15 fighters better than SRL? I think Ray is the G.O.A.T. I rate no fighter above him. Not even Ray Robinson. SRL would kick his ass too!/SIZE]

Comment

Yes the fight was at 168 but Lalonde said he had no problem making weight after the fight and said he felt great.

Comment

Working...
                      X