Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better resume: Floyd Mayweather Jr or Jack Dempsey?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather fought no great fighter in their prime.

Tsk! Tsk!

Floyd, that's an automatic 2nd table in the Hall Of The Greats. Sorry, you are not at the captain's table, and much less not in the captain's seat. You will be one of the most famous fighters of all time, because you were the richest. You had high talent. Your medicine bag of traditional boxing knowledge was chock full. You were one of the more skillt fighters ever. Enjoy your money, because that is about as far as your legacy can go.

You see, no one is going to mistake your opponents for ATGs in their primes, what ever their historical perspective. Beating who you did at the stage you did, you cannot be compared to Leonard, who fought, beat and lost to ATG opponents near the top of the AT heap and near their primes. You have no such scalps, son, you have some empty names who were shells of their former shadows. Mosley's life had been wrecked twice apiece at the mitts of Forrest and Wright by the time you got around to thinking the time was right, for a typical instance.

We cannot do it. We cannot dishonor ATGs of the past by setting you up equal to them. They fought prime monsters, you didn't. It's as simple as that. I'll give you one thing Floyd, you have the most retarted fans I know of.

Your fighting alone was not enough to make you so rich and famous. You were lucky to arrive during the so called Golden Age of Rap when halfwitted smack talking was so valued among lowlife, halfwitted rap fans that there was crossover money to be made.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 11-21-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Real boxing historians won't take your drivel seriously. Sorry.
      - -U a real boxing hysterrorist now is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        You make some good points, but the fact that theres 4 titles in a weight class and twice as many weight classes tells me those guys shouldn't all be champions. I do suspect Dempsey probably didn't fight enough black fighters, but I also tend to think a great man back in the day was probably tougher and more impressive than a great man of today. Meaning, when he got in the ring - he came to win. Simply because of the way he was brought up and the times he lived in. I just can't see a depression era great for example, get one hit wondered by some gym built - cellphone watching kid who parents never beat him, especially when people in my own hometown have gone the distance with them.

people always downplay history as if it was some 5 year window, and today is some super detailed vivid special moment in history. These guys lived their entire lives like everyone else, had relationships, problems etc - the entire culture was different. Everything about being a man in Dempseys era was don't be a ***** and lifes hard. Everything was manual. You walked everywhere, you did everything physicial. Your mother never coddled you, you took care of yourself. If you got bullied you had no shoulder to cry on. So Jack Dempsey, standing out as an exceptionally tough man in that era - says something.

The other big thing, is television has made fighters more image concious. They are always trying to look "cool" in how they move. Robinson started it all. You can see the earth wind and Fire in Ken Norton, the James Brown in Ali. The 50 cent in Mayweather. In Dempseys era, it was "do whatever it takes to win". Work hard, learn tricks, be a man. Now its, sculpt your physique so you look good, make sure everythings clean so you don't look off balance and keep looking sexy. Thats cool and all, but fighting is an animals game.

People will ask who wins, Joe Louis or Tyson? but the question is, who would you pick back in 1936? Joe Louis was THE man. People are victims of their opinions of things, not things themselves. When Joe Louis stepped in the ring, he came to win.

Dempsey's best wins all lost to black fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          You make some good points, but the fact that theres 4 titles in a weight class and twice as many weight classes tells me those guys shouldn't all be champions. I do suspect Dempsey probably didn't fight enough black fighters, but I also tend to think a great man back in the day was probably tougher and more impressive than a great man of today. Meaning, when he got in the ring - he came to win. Simply because of the way he was brought up and the times he lived in. I just can't see a depression era great for example, get one hit wondered by some gym built - cellphone watching kid who parents never beat him, especially when people in my own hometown have gone the distance with them.

people always downplay history as if it was some 5 year window, and today is some super detailed vivid special moment in history. These guys lived their entire lives like everyone else, had relationships, problems etc - the entire culture was different. Everything about being a man in Dempseys era was don't be a ***** and lifes hard. Everything was manual. You walked everywhere, you did everything physicial. Your mother never coddled you, you took care of yourself. If you got bullied you had no shoulder to cry on. So Jack Dempsey, standing out as an exceptionally tough man in that era - says something.

The other big thing, is television has made fighters more image concious. They are always trying to look "cool" in how they move. Robinson started it all. You can see the earth wind and Fire in Ken Norton, the James Brown in Ali. The 50 cent in Mayweather. In Dempseys era, it was "do whatever it takes to win". Work hard, learn tricks, be a man. Now its, sculpt your physique so you look good, make sure everythings clean so you don't look off balance and keep looking sexy. Thats cool and all, but fighting is an animals game.

People will ask who wins, Joe Louis or Tyson? but the question is, who would you pick back in 1936? Joe Louis was THE man. People are victims of their opinions of things, not things themselves. When Joe Louis stepped in the ring, he came to win.
          Interesting post!

So fighters today are not as tough, and don't have the same will to win, as in the old days, because...

... they no longer get beaten up by their parents.
          ... they are coddled by their moms.
          ... they have cellphones.
          ... they don't have to walk everywhere.
          ... they are more interested in looking sexy than being a real man.

You know, I have never thought about that - but I guess this proves, beyond reasonable doubt, that today's boxers are sissies, compared to 100 years ago.
          Last edited by Bundana; 11-23-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
            Who were these 'best wins'? --- Firpo lost to Wills by decision, with Wills only scoring a single KD on a cheap shot after the break, which the ref refused to acknowledge.

Dempsey destroyed Firpo a year earlier.

Willard never lost to a Black fighter.

Everyone beat Fulton, but only Dempsey stopped him with one punch, literally.

That leaves Brennan, Miske, and Gibbons. Did they lose to Black fighters?

Dempsey took Miske out in three, Brennan out in 12, and Gibbons stalled for 15 rounds.

How did the Black fighters do against them?

P.S. I forgot, Siki beat Carpentier, with the fight being stopped amidst controversy. Dempsey carried Carpenteir for four rounds, could have dumped him in he first if he hadn't promised Tex Rickard he wouldn't.
            Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 11-23-2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
              Who were these 'best wins'? --- Firpo lost to Wills by decision, with Wills only scoring a single KD on a cheap shot after the break, which the ref refused to acknowledge.

Dempsey destroyed Firpo a year earlier.

Willard never lost to a Black fighter.

Everyone beat Fulton, but only Dempsey stopped him with one punch, literally.

That leaves Brennan, Miske, and Gibbons. Did they lose to Black fighters?

Dempsey took Miske out in three, Brennan out in 12, and Gibbons stalled for 15 rounds.

How did the Black fighters do against them?
              Who would you say is Dempsey's best win?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Who would you say is Dempsey's best win?
                I hadn't thought it through . . . just replying tothe statement "best wins." I am waiting for a reply regarding who the poster thought were his best wins and how Black fighters did against them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                  I hadn't thought it through . . . just replying tothe statement "best wins." I am waiting for a reply regarding who the poster thought were his best wins and how Black fighters did against them.
                  Id love to hear your opinion once you give it some thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                    - -And those fighters all lost to white fighters.

Someone slip U an inane Mickey?

Comment

• Dempseys best win was probably his one punch ko over prime and future heavyweight champion Jack Sharkey. This in a fight where many picked him to lose and he was the odds on underdog. Also in a fight where he was being beaten and came back to win in spectacular fashion.

And NO the three right uppercuts to Sharkeys midsection prior to the ko blow were not low.

Comment

Working...
                      X