Good News: Panama Lewis is dead!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
    Just wondering if you know.

I always had a wonderment about Buddy Rogers' loss to Bruno Sammartino. The match ended in seconds and Sammartino became champion and made small time TV money with it (New York area) for a decade. But it makes me think that Rogers was pissed about being replaced and refused to put on a show and tanked just seconds into the match out of spite.

Of course all this is based on the belief that the match was staged.

I know they had a recent problem (last ten years) with some champion refusing to lose when asked, (maybe Shawn Michaels) but I really don't know the details.
    If you're talking last 10 years, wouldn't be Shawn. But Shawn in his career had done that. There was a famous angle where he did a promo saying he "lost his smile", so two other guys had to have a match for the world title. Also when Shawn Michaels dropped the title to Stone Cold Steve Austin at Wrestlemania 14 in 1998, there's a famous story that The Undertaker approached him saying he better do the job he's supposed to and lose the title. Taker was always a respected locker room leader and somewhat of an enforcer back in the day. Shawn could be a bit of a diva back then too, but is supposed to be more easy going since he retired, which is why he gets invited back for pay per view pre shows.

I don't know as much about the old time wrestling, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were true about Rogers. In Bruno's prime, he usually had the title. Although I remember him losing it to Ivan Koloff after holding it a bunch of years, the crowd going dead silent and then Bruno winning it back weeks or months later and holding it a few more years. Sammartino was kind of the Hulk Hogan of his era, the top babyface/face/good guy.

Nice Willie Pep pic, by the way. I believe he was one of the career sets I watched in the 2010s. The DVD set included an interview of him done I believe in 1990 when he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. Those Saddler fights were savage. How the hell did they get away with all that fouling? Almost looked like something out of pro wrestling. If those are the fights I'm thinking of, that is.
    Last edited by Anthony342; 09-26-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Never struck me as the kind of guy who would revel in a another's death.

Lewis as a convenient scapegoat ignores Billy was wearing NY commish approved gloves approved by Billy's dad.

Whatever, I won't mourn him, but facts is facts...
      The Horse hair , a decent amount was removed from the Glove Queensburied. The gloves where never inspected by the NYSAC. All those rules came into affect after the bout with Resto at MSG. I’ve herd Randy Gordon talk about this at length. You tube the fight , you can listen to The Raging Bull do the commentating .
      If you watch Luis Resto when he walks back into his corner after round one you can see clearly how the glove is pushed toward the back of his hand .
      That was the undercard of Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore on a Thursday night at the Garden.
      Billy Collins didn’t deserve that.
      That fight ruined many lives.
      Billy and his father never spoke. His wife ended up a widow and raising a child on her own. And you want to defend Panama Lewis, let him rest in pain

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
        The Horse hair , a decent amount was removed from the Glove Queensburied. The gloves where never inspected by the NYSAC. All those rules came into affect after the bout with Resto at MSG. I’ve herd Randy Gordon talk about this at length. You tube the fight , you can listen to The Raging Bull do the commentating .
        If you watch Luis Resto when he walks back into his corner after round one you can see clearly how the glove is pushed toward the back of his hand .
        That was the undercard of Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore on a Thursday night at the Garden.
        Billy Collins didn’t deserve that.
        That fight ruined many lives.
        Billy and his father never spoke. His wife ended up a widow and raising a child on her own. And you want to defend Panama Lewis, let him rest in pain
        - -And U defending Billy's dad and the corrupt NY Commish that gave Panama the window to do the dirty deed is it?

I blame all three, and it's always been a point of contention to have tampered wraps and gloves.

Willard ambled over to Dempseys corner to check his gloves and wraps personally.

Pretty dumb forum unable to see the fraud in front of their eyes. The NY Commish's political appointees incompetence allayed with stupid Mago corner cost the commish a multimillion $ lawsuit.

No doubt the Mag corner still at work somewhere.

Comment

- -And U defending Billy's dad and the corrupt NY Commish that gave Panama the window to do the dirty deed is it?

I blame all three, and it's always been a point of contention to have tampered wraps and gloves.

Willard ambled over to Dempseys corner to check his gloves and wraps personally.

Pretty dumb forum unable to see the fraud in front of their eyes. The NY Commish's political appointees incompetence allayed with stupid Mago corner cost the commish a multimillion $ lawsuit.

From some personal experience (Florida Commission) . . . the Commissioner watches the tapping of the hands and then initials the tape. -- Then just before fight time they watch the gloves be put on, and taped. They then initial the tape covering the laces on the gloves.

Conjecture: They (NYSAC) must have left Lewis alone with the gloved fighter, in the dressing room, Lewis must have then carefully removed the tape from the gloves, took out the padding and then replaced the initialed tape on the gloves.

I GUESS!

Anyone with professional experience know what the protocol might have been that night?

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
            From some personal experience (Florida Commission) . . . the Commissioner watches the tapping of the hands and then initials the tape. -- Then just before fight time they watch the gloves be put on, and taped. They then initial the tape covering the laces on the gloves.

Conjecture: They (NYSAC) must have left Lewis alone with the gloved fighter, in the dressing room, Lewis must have then carefully removed the tape from the gloves, took out the padding and then replaced the initialed tape on the gloves.

I GUESS!

Anyone with professional experience know what the protocol might have been that night?
            Where was the tape covering the laces on Restos right glove near the end of the fight? No tape, no signature, no nothin'!

Here's a theory. The tape was removed during the fight, crumbled up and thrown in the spit bucket. Did the ref do his duty properly checking for the signature on the tape before the fight?
            Lewis could have taken off the glove, in the dressing room, and then removed the horse hair from the gloves. Replaced the tape and then forged the signature of the official inspecting the tape/gloves. The tape or evidence would have been thrown away emptying the spit bucket...........Rockin'
            Last edited by Rockin'; 09-28-2020, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              Where was the tape covering the laces on Restos right glove near the end of the fight? No tape, no signature, no nothin'!

Here's a theory. The tape was removed during the fight, crumbled up and thrown in the spit bucket. Did the ref do his duty properly checking for the signature on the tape before the fight?
              Lewis could have taken off the glove, in the dressing room, and then removed the horse hair from the gloves. Replaced the tape and then forged the signature of the official inspecting the tape/gloves. The tape or evidence would have been thrown away emptying the spit bucket...........Rockin'
              - -Too much arduous time involved for that moment, ie too much careful unstitching and restiching.

NY packed with Latino seamstresses then and now. Lewis would've had access to the most skilled who could produce "custom" gloves to match the ones used in any fight.

Remember the Maidana/May Glove Gate controversy? And those were legal gloves!

Comment

- -Too much arduous time involved for that moment, ie too much careful unstitching and restiching.

NY packed with Latino seamstresses then and now. Lewis would've had access to the most skilled who could produce "custom" gloves to match the ones used in any fight.

Remember the Maidana/May Glove Gate controversy? And those were legal gloves!
                Like everything else, you bring about the most preposterous conspiracy theories with no proof instead of looking for the more obvious answer.

Comment

Not Defending the older Collins you meat head, the opposite corner wasn’t present during the inspection of the tape rapping.
                  It’s because of the Resto / Collins attempted murder is why that happens today.
                  Don’t put words in my mouth tough guy

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Like everything else, you bring about the most preposterous conspiracy theories with no proof instead of looking for the more obvious answer.
                    - -U toopidity has nothing to do with Resto gloves and everything to do with U toopidity.

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
                      Not Defending the older Collins you meat head, the opposite corner wasn’t present during the inspection of the tape rapping.
                      It’s because of the Resto / Collins attempted murder is why that happens today.
                      Don’t put words in my mouth tough guy
                      - -Yo, Mr soft lad, noone nos who be present at the wrapping and glove check, NOONE!

What we know is the commish employees and daddy were responsible in the failure of duty to cojoin Lewis in them hellish gates buried deep down under the bowels of our universe.

Comment

Working...
                      X