B Hop or James Toney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pretty much hop.

Comment

JT was more talented but B-Hop clearly achieved more.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        Ho'kins specialized in shutting down his opponents' offenses. That makes it pretty boring for the viewer.
        Good point. So in a way, he was a lot like former World Chess Champion Tigran Petrosian, who preferred to extinguish his opponent's attacks before making his own.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          Ho'kins would not have engaged with Toney. His goal would have been just the opposite. Peck from the outside, land the long right, tie him up inside until the ref intervenes. It is not fanciful thinking to imagine him being successful with those tactics against Lights Out.
          You got the idea. Those tactics alone will flaw James Toney whole game plan. B-hop was never the aggressive inside fighter, but more of a passive aggression using range. Toney prevailed when people were on their eyes counters. joffense and tried to throw shots to the head, where he countered and made them pay everytime. Hopkins would be the smarter man and do just what you said, try to land that long right hand and "tie up" smothering all of Toney 's counters.

Comment

James Toney for sure

Comment

prime for prime I would go with Toney

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                prime for prime I would go with Toney
                Good honest opinion. We will never know, but it wouldn't surprise me if James Toney beat Bhop, it's boxing

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  Toney stepped up to bigger and better opponents during his prime. His wins over Nunn, Jirov and Barkley were bigger than any of Hopkins wins. Hopkins biggest wins were against blown up WWs and Tarver.
                  Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
                  B-Hop's the greater fighter, but Toney was more fun to watch at his best. I think Toney was more naturally gifted but these two guys were totally different in that James was very talented but lacked discipline while Hopkins wasn't as gifted but unbelievably disciplined and always made the absolute most out of what he did have. If they fought prime for prime I gotta go with B-Hop in a close decision.
                  toney's style was more exciting to watch, BHop's fights were like watching paint dry. somehow i can't see BHop at HW even though he has the better discipline. in my opinion, RJJ and Toney are the best fighters of my generation, and i agree with the bold parts about Bhop and Toney

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                    toney's style was more exciting to watch, BHop's fights were like watching paint dry. somehow i can't see BHop at HW even though he has the better discipline. in my opinion, RJJ and Toney are the best fighters of my generation, and i agree with the bold parts about Bhop and Toney
                    if Toney went neck and neck technically with Mccallum he could certainly handle what Hopkins has. Hopkins has longevity and consistency, but h2h I see Toney beating him. A good way of looking at this is; Take Toney and lets sat he stays in great shape for 10 years and takes on B-hops resume, he handles those guys with ease, including Tito - who he would have knocked out inside 6.

Hopkins had a better time with Jones because of his height and because he was ALWAYS in shape. I am not totally dsputing Jones win over Toney, but Toney really didn't look prepared and struggled to make weight - he also was never given a rematch by Jones.

Comment

Hopkins and it is not even close.

They aren't even in the same league.

Comment

Working...
                      X