Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘Shogun’ Rua believes he deserves shot at Daniel Cormier after Anthony Smith fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Shogun’ Rua believes he deserves shot at Daniel Cormier after Anthony Smith fight

Mauricio Rua is no longer fighting the No. 2 light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir next at UFC Hamburg, but could still be one fight away from a shot at the belt.

The former 205-pound champion headlines the UFC Fight Night event in Germany on July 22 against Anthony Smith, who stepped up on to replace Oezdemir on less than a month’s notice.

“Shogun” admits that facing a guy that is not ranked in the top 15 could affect his title aspirations, but told MMA Fighting he still thinks he will be “one step closer to fighting for the belt if I beat Anthony.”

Daniel Cormier, who currently holds the UFC light heavyweight belt, also became the heavyweight championship with a stunning first-round knockout over Stipe Miocic at last Saturday’s UFC 226 in Las Vegas, and said on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show that he would like to face a “legend” like Rua next.

“Shogun” agrees, and is even down for a quick turnaround in November, like Cormier said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour.

”I think Cormier is a great athlete, a compete fighter,” Rua told MMA Fighting. “Winning this fight I absolutely deserve this chance because of my history and my career in MMA.”

The Brazilian veteran does not think Cormier will retire when he turns 40 in March like he has said many times — “he’s probably making a lot [of money] as a champion to stop now,” Rua laughs —, and wasn’t surprised by how quickly the light heavyweight king was able to stop Miocic in Las Vegas.

”It was no surprise to me,” “Shogun” said. “Cormier is used to fighting big guys at heavyweight and beat Miocic decisively. I had no favorites in this fight, anyone could win.”

Holding the light heavyweight and heavyweight belts simultaneously in the UFC will likely put Cormier up in many people’s “greatest of all times” lists, and Rua thinks he has cracked into the top 5.

”He’s under Anderson (Silva), Wanderlei (Silva), Fedor (Emelianenko), some guys that have done more than him so far,” Rua said, “but I think he’s not that old and can still do a lot more.”

If Rua really does get a chance against to challenge Cormier for the belt later this year, he expects a rough time getting prepared to face such a complete fighter inside the Octagon.

”It’s tough because he’s well-rounded, is good standing and on the ground, has one of the best wrestling in the UFC,” Rua said. “It’s tough because you have to train everything for him. It’s a big challenge, but you become a target when you have the belt because that’s what everyone dreams with.

“But I’m actually not thinking about the belt now because I have a good opponent ahead of me and I can’t think about it. The belt is my dream, of course, but I have to go step by step. I know that I will be closer if I win this fight.”

All Rua thinks about now is defeating Smith. He’s upset that Oezdemir was forced out of the fight for a second time in months, but celebrates that someone like Smith has agreed to face him on short notice.

“We have to always be ready for any situation,” Rua said. “The styles match up well because I was training for a striker for five months and Anthony is a striker as well, so it wasn’t a terrible change.

”I’m working hard on my muay thai so I’m not surprised by him because he’s good on the feet, but I also know that his ground game is not that efficient. It’s a MMA fight. If he gives me an opening I will take him down and work there.”

I'm surprised Shogun isn't fighting for Bellator yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
      I'm surprised Shogun isn't fighting for Bellator yet.
      Likely after this fight he will be.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Likely after this fight he will be.
        Yeah, even though he should be retired by now.

Comment

Already looking past him. Smells like an upset. I love Shogun but he needs to either hang em up or go to belabor and fight the other legends, really want Rampage vs Shogun 2 got dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by $Bullsfam$ View Post
            Already looking past him. Smells like an upset. I love Shogun but he needs to either hang em up or go to belabor and fight the other legends, really want Rampage vs Shogun 2 got dammit.
            Shogun vs. Fedor

Comment

Shogun vs. Fedor
              That would of been nuts in 06-08 too before Fedor fell off. That's one thing I miss a about pride. Yeah some freak shows are a joke, but we would of never seen Wandy vs Cro Cop, Wandy vs Hunt without the grand prix

Comment

Originally posted by $Bullsfam$ View Post
                That would of been nuts in 06-08 too before Fedor fell off. That's one thing I miss a about pride. Yeah some freak shows are a joke, but we would of never seen Wandy vs Cro Cop, Wandy vs Hunt without the grand prix
                Pride was hands down the best company in their prime

Comment

Pride was hands down the best company in their prime
                  Yep, they were the Jim Crockett NWA promotion of their time. Like Crockett, later WCW, for a long time they had the better roster and more exciting matches, but the bigger #1 company was better promoted and in more locations, so they eventually lost out. Losing guys to the top companies over time(UFC and WWE) also hurt them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Yep, they were the Jim Crockett NWA promotion of their time. Like Crockett, later WCW, for a long time they had the better roster and more exciting matches, but the bigger #1 company was better promoted and in more locations, so they eventually lost out. Losing guys to the top companies over time(UFC and WWE) also hurt them as well.
                    Their tournaments were pure gold.

Comment

Working...
                    X