Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the first guy to win titles at THREE weight classes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be the first guy to win titles at THREE weight classes?

Some names who have a legitimate shot right now:

75% or greater chance:

Frankie Edgar.
    His match with Holloway was just cancelled due to Holloway injury (I think I heard), but it should be rescheduled, and I honestly think Edgar rag dolls him and wins his title in a second weight division.

I honestly think he can make 135 and be healthy enough to compete for the title. He matches up favorably with Dillashaw, and Cody due to his beastly wrestling (at that weight, should he make weight healthily, he would be downright scary). AND his footwork, and foot speed/dexterity, along with his boxing would just make great stylistic matchups for either Dillashaw or Cody.

50/50:

GSP
    I mean, once again, it all depends on if he really can make 155 and rehydrate healthy and strong like he claims. If he can, he has shown he still has plenty left to make this a reality.

35% chance:
    Conor McGregor. It's definitely a stretch, since he looked a bit bloated at 170,and with how deep that class is, and with the wide varieties of different styles in the division. It would be hard for him to get a favorably stylistic matchup against one of the top guys, as they all have world class grappling (aside from Wonderboy). His best chance would be if Wonderboy won the title, as that would be a pure striking match, and Conor's left hand can sleep anybody. But the length and speed/style of Wonderboy, coupled with the natural size advantage would be way too much IMO.. But who knows?

Dillashaw/Cody: If what they both claim is true, about being able to make 125 and rehydrate strong and healthy on fight night, I think they would both beat MM there, and beat him fairly soundly.

I think they have youth on their side, as well as the skillet and frames that could see them go up to 145 and be very competitive. Dillashaw is a very young 31, and Cody is still very young at like 25ish I think? A long ways to go for both these guys, but they have a shot.

10% or less
    Tyron Woodley. This is a huge stretch to see him being effective at 205.. I definitely think he can be a contender for the belt at 185.. I don't think he's quite the freak of nature Rumble is, and could not carry his explosiveness up with him to 205.
    Last edited by Cheek busting; 02-03-2018, 09:50 PM.

Will GSP or McGregor even fight again? The percentages of that are even lower.

Comment

GSP doubtful, Conor possibly, if they throw a few million at him, may take over 10 million. Even then, he'd probably just fight a rubber match with Diaz or grab an easy belt, like was said above.
      Last edited by Anthony342; 02-05-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        GSP doubtful, Conor possibly, if they throw a few million at him, may take over 10 million. Even then, he'd probably just fight a rubber match with Diaz or brag an easy belt, like was said above.
        I think it may take over 25 million

Comment

It is probably Conor. it would require him getting the right fight though.

He doesn't beat Tyron. If Till gets near the top, he also doesn't get near him.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            I think it may take over 25 million
            I wouldn't mind that. But amounts like that should be reserved for fighters like him, that generate the most PPV buys. Can't pay everyone like that because nobody would be hungry anymore and you'd see a lot more cherry picking.

Comment

Originally posted by WiganScott View Post
              It is probably Conor. it would require him getting the right fight though.

He doesn't beat Tyron. If Till gets near the top, he also doesn't get near him.
              Not unless they pay him a fortune, because he wont take a risk like that without one.

Comment

If Edgar can drop to 135 at this age, I'd favor him to be the first three division champ. I think he has everything he needs to beat Holloway. It's a shame that fight got postponed again.

Dillashaw and Cody are small enough to cut to 125 and skilled enough to compete at 145, so they could also pull it off. Cody is still really young too. Dillashaw is 30 believe, but he has enough time to do it.

Everyone else is a longshot. GSP probably won't fight again, Conor only wants big money fights and I doubt he'd beat Woodley or any other top WW.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                  If Edgar can drop to 135 at this age, I'd favor him to be the first three division champ. I think he has everything he needs to beat Holloway. It's a shame that fight got postponed again.

Dillashaw and Cody are small enough to cut to 125 and skilled enough to compete at 145, so they could also pull it off. Cody is still really young too. Dillashaw is 30 believe, but he has enough time to do it.

Everyone else is a longshot. GSP probably won't fight again, Conor only wants big money fights and I doubt he'd beat Woodley or any other top WW.
                  Actually, I agree on the Edgar scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post

Aye - that's why in my initial post, I give Edgar the biggest percentage chance by far at around 75%.

That's the chance he has to do it, if he actually pursues it, not whether it will actually happen.

And yes - GSP I doubt will want to ring his body out to make 155 at this stage. If he even could (remember wh en he was claiming he could make it, and make it without much trouble recently, doe)?

Comment

Working...
                    X