No announcement yet.

‘Disrespected’ Stipe Miocic feels UFC wants Francis Ngannou to beat him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Disrespected’ Stipe Miocic feels UFC wants Francis Ngannou to beat him

Stipe Miocic is on the precipice of UFC history.

With a victory over Francis Ngannou on Jan. 20 in Boston at UFC 220, he’ll become the first fighter in company history to defend the UFC heavyweight title three consecutive times.

That’s a mark some of the greatest heavyweights in MMA history, from Randy Couture to Cain Velasquez, haven’t been able to crack.

But if you’ve been following the UFC 220 hype on the company’s end, it’s been Ngannou, the challenger, who has received the bulk of the promotional push. And that hasn’t gone unnoticed by the champion.

On Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, when asked whether he feels the UFC wants Ngannou to win their main event bout, the usually unflappable Miocic answered vigorously in the affirmative.

“Obviously, for sure,” Miocic said. “Listen, I feel a little bit disrespected, but I’m not going to dwell on it.”

The UFC created a well-received promo clip for the bout which focuses on Ngannou’s vicious knockout of Alistair Overeem at UFC 218, a finish which earned MMA Fighting’s 2017 Knockout of the Year honors. Miocic acknowledges the company needs to come up with some sort of reason to hype the fight, since he’s not one to engage in phony trash talk.

“He’s got more hype on him I guess,” Miocic said. “The guy hits super hard. We’re making a big thing about it. I’ve fought some good guys, you know? That’s how we are. I’m not much of a trash talker I just like to fight, that’s what I do.”

If anything, the champ believes the buildup, with its emphasis on Ngannou as the next big star, shifts all the pressure heading into Boston on the upstart challenger.

“All the pressure is on him, honestly. … The best guys he’s faced, I knocked them out two years ago. So, whatever.”

Last year, Miocic openly complained about his contract with the UFC, noting that Overeem was paid more to challenge him (and lose via knockout) at UFC 203 than Miocic made to defend the belt. The champ, who has not fought since his finish of former titleholder Junior dos Santos at UFC 211, says his contract situation has been addressed, but didn’t sound like he wanted to speak much further on the subject.

“I won’t dwell on that,” Miocic said. “They took care of it. They did take care of it. Yeah, next question.”

So that brings us back to the upcoming Ngannou fight. Much of the intrigue in the bout lies in the unknown: We don’t know how Ngannou fares in deep waters, nor do we know much about what he can do on the ground, because Ngannou has usually finished his foes before the fight can get there.

“I saw the one submission he had against Anthony Hamilton, the Kimura or whatever, I saw that, but I haven’t really seen any ground work,” Miocic said. “I haven’t really watched, I’ve seen that fight and Andrei Arlovski’s fight are what I’ve seen watching him fight.”

Beyond that, Miocic, who is taking two weeks of from his Cleveland-area job as a firefighter to take the Ngannou fight, isn’t going to make a prediction on what will go down when the duo meet underneath the 23 combined NBA and NHL championship banners at TD Garden.

“He definitely has the hype behind him,” Miocic said. “He definitely has the punching power behind him. So, we’ll see on January 20 how things go.”

I'd be surprised if he didn't think that. I think the UFC has done that numerous times. Look no further then the Amanda Nunes vs Ronda Rousey fight which is the best example of the UFC playing favorites. You'd have hardly known Nunes was fighting Ronda or fighting at all that night with how they pushed that fight. Rightly or wrongly thats what they do sometimes & like many others they see potential dollar signs with Ngannou in the future & are acting accordingly.

Comment

The UFC needs stars they feel a guy like nganou knocking people out with one punch has crossover appeal miocic doesn't appear to be a big enough star for them

Comment

Well whoever wins this fight should be seeing more dollar signs from the owners.

Comment

Originally posted by german12johnson View Post
          The UFC needs stars they feel a guy like nganou knocking people out with one punch has crossover appeal miocic doesn't appear to be a big enough star for them
          They never really tried to push Stipe as a star. I mean this is a guy who's got a job as a firefighter in between defending the UFC HW title. That is highly sellable with the right effort.

Then again I'm not the UFC & I don't know their long term goals or if some HW in the most volatile division is a good enough bet for them to try to push him harder. I think the UFC would rather be bigger outside the US than be bigger in the US. They are doing great in the US, but there are greater gains to be made outside the US. And that could be the reason a cat with African roots who learned to fight in Europe might be pushed harder than a cat from Cleveland without taking into account Ngannou's more obviously attributes in the cage.

Comment

Well, is Stipe likable or considered interesting at all? If so, then yeah, should be marketed more. I mean, hell, Chris Wideman got a decent push from the UFC when he was middle weight champ and locally here on Long Island, he was mentioned a lot on the local news, being interviewed often and the news doing reports on him when he had another fight coming up. If you're consistently knocking out or tapping out opponents though, there should at least be something there.

Comment

He's right, i feel that they are hyping Ngannou up way too much even though i like him, it does feel really disrespectful to Stipe

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                They never really tried to push Stipe as a star. I mean this is a guy who's got a job as a firefighter in between defending the UFC HW title. That is highly sellable with the right effort.
                ^^^^^ This right here!

Comment

Of course they are - can't really blame them for worrying about their bottom line, and staying in the black (don't know if pun intended).

ufc is a business first, and always will be.

I don't think Stipe is being treated badly, or unfairly, as I'm sure he's getting paid more than Ngannou, but of course when UFC thinks they have a viable long-term star, especially one with worldly cross-over appeal, they are going to put more into promoting him, and fast-track him to a title shot.

At least Stipe isn't being an annoying, whiny little racist bytch like tyron "the victim" Woodley. Lol that guy is a clown. He doesn't even realize the irony in him getting the judges nod in a very close fight that most believe thompson won, and getting a draw in the first fight, that plenty believed Thompson won as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Well, is Stipe likable or considered interesting at all?
                    Stipe is the most likeable champion we have at the moment.

He's blue collar and a bad ass.

We live in the Conor McGregor era, so guys like Stipe don't just sell automatically unless he makes fun of Ngannou's bleached hair or throws a water bottle at him.

But if Stipe keeps winning by brutal KO, then more people (casuals) will start paying attention. He is a heavyweight after all. It's just hard for anyone to stay on top at heavyweight, very tough getting hit with HW hands and 4 oz gloves.
                    Last edited by Willy Wanker; 01-12-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X