Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFC strips credentials from JacksonWink MMA staffer after Cris Cyborg comments

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC strips credentials from JacksonWink MMA staffer after Cris Cyborg comments

The UFC is putting its foot down regarding offensive comments written by a gym employee about women’s champion Cris Cyborg.

In a statement released Tuesday, the UFC said it would not be allowing JacksonWink MMA social media staffer and photographer Mark Aragon access to future events after he referred to Cyborg as a man multiple times in a social media post.

“UFC is aware and troubled with the recent statements made by a social media representative from the JacksonWink MMA Academy in Albuquerque, New Mexico as it concerns women’s featherweight champion, Cris Cyborg,” the UFC statement read.

“UFC does not condone or tolerate the remarks that were used. The organization has reached out to the JacksonWink team to inform them that the individual in question will not be granted access for future events.”

Aragon wrote the post Sunday after Cyborg defeated JacksonWink fighter Holly Holm to retain the UFC women’s featherweight title in the main event of UFC 219 in Las Vegas. Aragon, regarding Cyborg, wrote “this dude is tough as hell” and “Holly was the first one to make his nose bleed.”

Cyborg demanded an apology from Aragon and the team a day later. On Tuesday, she asked the UFC to take action against Aragon, who who has been credentialed for UFC events as a photographer.

Aragon wrote an Instagram post Monday, apologizing and saying he was “embarrassed” by his actions. He added that he overheard Cyborg refer to Holm as a “*****” after the fight and lashed out because of it.

“I was obviously acting out of anger and frustration,” Aragon wrote. “My personal emotions got in the way of my professional status which I failed to adhere to.”

The gym’s Facebook page posted a non-apology about the situation Monday, writing that Aragon was making a reference to Cyborg’s past drug-test failure for steroids in the initial inappropriate post.

The gym statement and Aragon’s apology came hours after the JacksonWink MMA Twitter account tweeted a link to an anti-transgender Instagram post by JacksonWink coach Mike Winkeljohn from May 2016.

The tweeted link to Winkeljohn’s post and Aragon’s initial inappropriate Instagram post have been deleted.

In November, the JacksonWink MMA Twitter account liked a tweet in which African American UFC fighter Aljamain Sterling was referred to as the N-word.

Does not condone or tolerate, yet some have probably said the same things in private. Apologies are supposed to save face and one's job, but, unless you really mean it, why do it, since it does neither of those things?

Reminds me of a post I read on another forum where someone said Cyborg looked like "Wanderlei Silva in drag" after she beat Gina Carano in 2009. This isn't really anti trans gender. That would be more like if someone really was trans and was saying horrible things not accepting someone for who they are. There's a big difference. If you want to see anti trans statements, take a look at any online discussion about any trans people in the news or famous ones, like Caitlin Jenner, and you'll see PLENTY of anti trans statements then. This is just a guy saying what a lot of guys out there have said about Cyborg, that she doesn't look or act that feminine. Hell someone started another thread here referring to Cyborg as he or him and others used the same words in response. So, should their accounts here be suspended or deleted as well? IMO, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      someone said Cyborg looked like "Wanderlei Silva in drag"
      Didn't Dana White say that just a few years ago?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...lva-in-a-dress

Comment

i always say that marquez is the most obvious PED cheat in combat sports, but he can't hold a candle to crys cyborg. she is literally becoming a man at this stage.

Comment

good shiiet!!! and that dude Aragon should have just apologized and leave it at that. no need to go into the reason why he called cyborg a man.

He added that he overheard Cyborg refer to Holm as a “*****” after the fight and lashed out because of it.

Comment

With the way things are today, you say the wrong thing on social media and it could be over for your career.

Comment

Yeah, unless you don't apologize and own up to it until it blows over.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                Didn't Dana White say that just a few years ago?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...lva-in-a-dress
                “I thought the comparison was funny,” said Cyborg. “I’m a big fan of Wanderlei Silva, he’s a big international idol.”

hypocrisy at its finest

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                  “I thought the comparison was funny,” said Cyborg. “I’m a big fan of Wanderlei Silva, he’s a big international idol.”

hypocrisy at its finest
                  Yes indeed.

Comment

Yeah, I like his passion, but Dana can be a hypocrite douche at times.

Comment

Working...
                    X