No announcement yet.

BREAKING: Amanda Nunes hospitalized, Shevchenko fight canceled

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Idk if the problem was that big a deal or not to not fight, but she's for sure going for PR control with the hospitalization. I mean did she legit need to be hospitalized for a sinus build up? Cmon on, I mean they doing outpatient sh^t with heart attack victims these days. You just give her some benedryl & send her ass home.
    Depends. If it's a certain level of bad, it can affect your equilibrium.

I had a bad bout when I first moved to the state I'm currently in. It was so bad I couldn't hear. Popped my ears by force and one of them immediately sucked right back in, all of a sudden the world was bouncing left and right like I was on a ship in a storm - only I was driving straight on a flat road. Scariest crap I ever experienced given I was driving.

I'm anti-hospital so I just toughed through it but it took a good two weeks and a lot of Mucinex DM before I was even somewhat recovered.

If hers was that bad then I don't blame her, but I then also agree with Dana that it's mental to a point, smart not to risk getting your head kicked off when you can't tell what angle the kick's coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      Depends. If it's a certain level of bad, it can affect your equilibrium.

I had a bad bout when I first moved to the state I'm currently in. It was so bad I couldn't hear. Popped my ears by force and one of them immediately sucked right back in, all of a sudden the world was bouncing left and right like I was on a ship in a storm - only I was driving straight on a flat road. Scariest crap I ever experienced given I was driving.

I'm anti-hospital so I just toughed through it but it took a good two weeks and a lot of Mucinex DM before I was even somewhat recovered.

If hers was that bad then I don't blame her, but I then also agree with Dana that it's mental to a point, smart not to risk getting your head kicked off when you can't tell what angle the kick's coming from.
      They will hospitalize you if your equilibrium is off? That seems like some sh^t they give you a prescription for & send you on your way via someone you came to the hospital with or after you get a ride home. And if it was THAT bad to be hospitalized over wouldn't the UFC Doctor they had look at her be able to gauge that as being a reason she shouldn't be fighting?

So idk if she would have been okay to fight or not so I tend to side with the fighter over the promoter, but I call bs on the hospitalization. I find it hard to believe a Doctor isn't gauging THAT serious of an issue with a fighter & I say thats just a PR move cuz Nunes & likely her gf know that the UFC will turn on you quick as a mfer in situations like this & already have by saying she won't be headlining a card again along with this "all in her head" stuff.

Fair play if some fighters at less than 100% wanna fight (or 85% might be a more realistic number as I believe lotsa cats go into the ring at less then their absolute best), but I don't believe fighters should lose too many respect points if they feel they are at less then the % healthy they feel they need to be to fight.

Comment

Speaking of which, do you guys also think Shevchenko is kinda hot?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          I go back n forth on that. Sometimes she looks cute, sometimes she looks not so cute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

She is kinda hot sometimes.

Not that she ever looks bad, but she has her hot moments and her so-so moments.

Comment

I go back n forth on that. Sometimes she looks cute, sometimes she looks not so cute.

That's exactly how I feel about the majority of female fighters.

To be fair, we see them without makeup more often than the women we date. We see them bleeding in the corner, spitting, and they look like battered wives when they're finished working.

That's why Gina Carano is the greatest of all-time. She looked hot no matter what she did. Even after Cyborg bashed her face, I still wood have.

Comment

They will hospitalize you if your equilibrium is off? That seems like some sh^t they give you a prescription for & send you on your way via someone you came to the hospital with or after you get a ride home. And if it was THAT bad to be hospitalized over wouldn't the UFC Doctor they had look at her be able to gauge that as being a reason she shouldn't be fighting?

So idk if she would have been okay to fight or not so I tend to side with the fighter over the promoter, but I call bs on the hospitalization. I find it hard to believe a Doctor isn't gauging THAT serious of an issue with a fighter & I say thats just a PR move cuz Nunes & likely her gf know that the UFC will turn on you quick as a mfer in situations like this & already have by saying she won't be headlining a card again along with this "all in her head" stuff.

Fair play if some fighters at less than 100% wanna fight (or 85% might be a more realistic number as I believe lotsa cats go into the ring at less then their absolute best), but I don't believe fighters should lose too many respect points if they feel they are at less then the % healthy they feel they need to be to fight.
                She probably requested to go in as a precaution. It's scary as hell and she probably thought it was something MUCH more serious - got there and was told, "yeah, take some DM and drink some water. You're good"

It still would have put her out of commission for at least a week even if she wasn't in the hospital, assuming it was what I had. Extremely bad congestion to the point of vertigo and lack of breathing doesn't pass overnight and no way would I allow my fighter to go in there in that condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                  That's exactly how I feel about the majority of female fighters.

To be fair, we see them without makeup more often than the women we date. We see them bleeding in the corner, spitting, and they look like battered wives when they're finished working.

That's why Gina Carano is the greatest of all-time. She looked hot no matter what she did. Even after Cyborg bashed her face, I still wood have.
                  Yeah and it's usually when she's fighting where she doesn't look as cute, but I'd still smash her. Agreed on Gina Carano though. I've also felt the same about Miesha Tate, I'd do her even after a tough fight.

Comment

what?

Comment

I don't buy the "he scared" (or she scared in this case) angle a lot of boxing fans have, but I wouldn't be shocked if this "sickness" is because of a hard weight cut.

MMA & combat sports in general needs to start taking this weight stuff more seriously as this sorta thing happens more & more. Think this is the 3rd main event fight this year that has been called off the day off (although only 2 because of weight, Meathead had kidney stones). I'm a big fan of the new California commission rules & I'd like to see those adopted for the time being.

Ultimately I think you kill weight cutting entirely by using tools & technology we currently have & measure dehydration & other things to determine a "healthy weight range" one can fight at upon being given a license to compete in combat sports. So no one would be walking around at 170 & fighting at 145. Thats f#cking INSANE, but no one says that outloud for some reason cuz "thats how its always been". If you weight 170 on a random Tuesday 3 months before a fight you should be fighting at 170 on that Saturday fight night 3 months later. Sh^t is simple as f#ck in that regard if people just used some common sense. And when that happens we don't have this sorta dumb fight cancelations.
                      I got to agree with this, the whole business of cutting weight is getting insane. I can believe it can emphasize conditions and or create them.

I doubt she was scared just wants to be safe and not throw away a huge position in the field.

Comment

Working...
                      X