No announcement yet.

Paige VanZant = the Arturo Gatti of MMA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paige VanZant = the Arturo Gatti of MMA

And I mean that with nothing but respect. Always been a fan, but yesterday, against a clearly superior opponent she put on a masterclass of tenacity and defense. She eventually tapped to a rear choke, but there were at least 4 times I was 100% certain she was done, only to see her slip out and keep on going. Never even breathing hard, never even stressed. It was crazy.

The only thing I didn't like in that fight was Namajunas shaving her head and looking like an alien the whole night through; no smiles, no emotion. Scary.

I'll give Paige credit, I thought she was going to get destroyed but she showed alot of heart and tenacity. Rose is a special kind of talent, not yet on level with Jedrzejczyk, Gadelha, or Moroz (I think she'll be back stronger, Letourneau is just big, tuff, and more experienced at the time).

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      And I mean that with nothing but respect. Always been a fan, but yesterday, against a clearly superior opponent she put on a masterclass of tenacity and defense. She eventually tapped to a rear choke, but there were at least 4 times I was 100% certain she was done, only to see her slip out and keep on going. Never even breathing hard, never even stressed. It was crazy.

The only thing I didn't like in that fight was Namajunas shaving her head and looking like an alien the whole night through; no smiles, no emotion. Scary.
      I don't know much about MMA but Gatti was very skilled. In boxing, the even the most stereotypical brawler has skills. Many have said this about Gatti, guys like Provodnikov, even Chavez Sr (blaspheme!)

Those guys were very good boxers, elite boxers in MMA by a long shot. Saw the replay on youtube, and this was one skilled fighter vs a non skilled fighter. It was a beat down IMO, and yes Paige showed heart, but heart will get you hurt if you don't have skill.

Comment

One of the best one sided MMA fights I think I've seen cuz of Rose's perfection all night & Paige's ability to keep finding a way not to lose until way later in the fight after overcoming so much already.

Comment

Poor Paige...she seems so emotionally distraught in that video. She needs me now unlike ever before to cuddle her and make her feel safe again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            I don't know much about MMA but Gatti was very skilled. In boxing, the even the most stereotypical brawler has skills. Many have said this about Gatti, guys like Provodnikov, even Chavez Sr (blaspheme!)

Those guys were very good boxers, elite boxers in MMA by a long shot. Saw the replay on youtube, and this was one skilled fighter vs a non skilled fighter. It was a beat down IMO, and yes Paige showed heart, but heart will get you hurt if you don't have skill.
            I'm referring to tenacity and to a lesser degree defense, despite not being able to avoid getting hit in the face.

Gatti, for what it's worth, was a club fighter who blocked punches with his face. It's just that he did a good job at that, and he would just keep coming at you. I respect that.

Comment

I'm referring to tenacity and to a lesser degree defense, despite not being able to avoid getting hit in the face.

Gatti, for what it's worth, was a club fighter who blocked punches with his face. It's just that he did a good job at that, and he would just keep coming at you. I respect that.
              Wrong, wrong, wrong....I suggest you watch more boxing before saying stupid things like that. Gatti was very skilled, he wasn't Pernell Whitaker, but he was skilled.

He was also a multiple world champ, far from a club fighter....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post

Good point. It takes real skill and talent to win a world title, even an alphabet belt title is a huge accomplishment for a boxer. Sure, Gatti's skills weren't much compared to guys like Floyd, Whitaker, Leonard, etc., but he was still more skilled than 99% of the guys whoever laced them up.

If you wanna see unskilled brawlers, go to local boxing events or take a look at the opponents young prospects are fed early in their careers.

Comment

She did that because in her words "This aint no beauty pageant".
                  Which is exactly what it would have looked like other wise.

VS

Last edited by res; 12-15-2015, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Yeah, plus she said she got sick of her hair getting in her face in training and saved time from having to have it pulled back or held down for a fight.

Damn, Paige is cute though. Pretty much knocked Felice Herrig out of the division for a while too.

Comment

Working...
                    X