No announcement yet.

No more excuses for Cyborg

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
    You've got a much less percentage of UFC fans who are white trash but yeah there is most def a share of them present. I grew up watching WcW (I had satellite which had TNT and whereas WWF showed on cable) but they signed their fighters to ridiculous contracts like Strikeforce did when they paid their fighters like 200K (BEFORE other bonuses and such) at a time where maybe UFC fighters were getting paid much less than that apart from the top dogs. They must have paid CRAZY money for Fedor, which made sense to a certain degree if Fedor continued to win but he lost in his second SF fight and they paid crazy money for him. Apparently some of the SF fighters have to take a pay cut when they come to the UFC that's how much strikeforce paid them initially. The UFC are pretty tight with their money in terms of base salaries but that's a big reason why they have survived for so long. Pride was a MUCH better promotion than the UFC but ultimately they lost the 'war' because they were mismanaged and led to links with the Yakuza which ended up destroying their TV deal which was their bread and butter income generator (as opposed to the US PPV model).

Honestly, for a fans perspective having one promotion have all the best fighters is GREAT. Makes for some great match ups BUT for the sports longevity and fighters it's not good at all. The owner of ONE FC said that the UFC is destroying the other fight promotions (just like the WWE did to all the regional promotions in the states) because they have the money to buyout anyone. One FC for e.g. can spend time and money building up someone and then in the blink of an eye the UFC could just come and take them away which would leave One FC one attraction emptier.

Look at what is happening now between Bellator, the UFC and Eddie Alvarez. Bellator is playing the game and does not want to lose Alvarez despite them saying he is free to go and Alvarez wanting to go to the UFC, they signed him to a 'we'll match the other offer' deal and they aren't REALLY matching it, if you include ALL of the potential income on the table but in terms of the wording probably put into the contract they probably are. It's just silly but the UFC is the place to be and any other place is a significant step down.

I don't like Bellator, I would like something like One FC/Road FC to be successful or World Series of Fighting to be a competitor because they seem to be run by nicer people, less sleazebags but at the end of the day all of these guys become so infused with making money that they become like that.
    I'm with you on the One FC thing. I hope somebody nicer and more likeable becomes competitive with the UFC again. I'd like to see something with Pride rules, but with elbows on the ground added. That would just rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      I'm with you on the One FC thing. I hope somebody nicer and more likeable becomes competitive with the UFC again. I'd like to see something with Pride rules, but with elbows on the ground added. That would just rule.
      Problem with elbows is that they can open up cuts really easily if used right compared to punches which changes the dynamic of the fight substansially. I would def introduce knees back though. I think the more tools the striker has, the better and more exciting the fight is. People can hate and say oh you need to appreciate the ground game, believe me I do. I love some great BJJ and some great judo but often the wrestlers just lay and pray or wall and stall which is so ****ing boring. The problem is that the UFC wants to be seen as a more 'safer' sport and wants to get away from that human **** fighting reputation so I think it will never implement those rules and it would NEVER implement foot stomps lol...too violent. It wants to get into new territory like New York and if they get into NY this year, Dana said they want to throw their 20 year anniversary event in New York with a UFC 100 style card at Madison Square Garden.

I loved Pride rules....

Comment

Problem with elbows is that they can open up cuts really easily if used right compared to punches which changes the dynamic of the fight substansially.
        I agree. Wile standing elbows are a legit combat technique in the clinch, grounded elbows are typically cut-makers, playing into the sport aspect more than real combat. I think that winning via intentional cuts is a cheap win.

Knees and kicks to the head of a grounded opponent, while dangerous, are such a natural and beautiful movement in terms of technique. I have to laugh at the hardcore UFC kids that claim it to be a "complete sport" and liken it to "real life" when the UFC restricts the aforementioned movements.

Comment

Problem with elbows is that they can open up cuts really easily if used right compared to punches which changes the dynamic of the fight substansially. I would def introduce knees back though. I think the more tools the striker has, the better and more exciting the fight is. People can hate and say oh you need to appreciate the ground game, believe me I do. I love some great BJJ and some great judo but often the wrestlers just lay and pray or wall and stall which is so ****ing boring. The problem is that the UFC wants to be seen as a more 'safer' sport and wants to get away from that human **** fighting reputation so I think it will never implement those rules and it would NEVER implement foot stomps lol...too violent. It wants to get into new territory like New York and if they get into NY this year, Dana said they want to throw their 20 year anniversary event in New York with a UFC 100 style card at Madison Square Garden.

I loved Pride rules....
          Me too. And I still say elbows on the ground should be allowed. Yes, they can open up cuts, but so can elbows on the feet, so it makes no sense to allow one and not the other. I don't really want to see stomps though and I know the UFC will never do this. That's why I said I want to see another organization with rules like this. And include those yellow cards for stalling.

Comment

Working...
          X