Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overeem's Manager: Reem has a reasonable explanation.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I mean who wants the #2 HW and #1 contender gone for 12+months while the champ has meaninless defenses or worse, loses a fight and the hype and $$ for this matchup is gone, and then when they finally fight there will be excuses for ring rust, not being juiced etc. Simple, we need this fight right now.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
      No pun intended.
      lol

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that they shouldn't allow the fight to go ahead. Bah humbug.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
          Who would've thought that so many MMA fighters were suffering from chronic testosterone deficiency. Quite the epidemic!
          yeah, must be a side effect of shrunken testicles.

Comment

According to NSAC executive director, Keith Kizer, that has not taken place, but he did not rule out his eligibility for exemption at this point.
            Last edited by Cathleen81; 04-18-2012, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukr_Alex View Post
              Correct me if I am wrong but isn't TRT for those who have "previously" abused test?

This is what I got out of a thread on Vargas the other day.
              Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
              Not necessarily. There is a possibility to have your testosterone levels legitimately ****ed up without prior abuse.

The % of the population with this kind of struggle does not translate to the large amount of pro-athletes that allegedly have these issues though. I've heard of 1 person IRL that have this that didn't abuse steroids on a daily basis for years.
              Generally...legit candidates for TRT are those over 50 years of age...and people who have done massive amounts of cranking and have shut down their body's ability to produce testosterone as a result of it. The body no longer sees the need to produce any as it recognizes an over abundance of it while the cycle is on. In time for most it will normalize...but not in all cases.

Comment

Some curious comments from Valanteijn Overeem. I guess he doesn't know when to keep it under his cap.

Ahead of UFC 146, Valentijn Overeem unaware of any testosterone need for brother Alistair
                by Steven Marrocco on Apr 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm ET
                Valentijn Overeem doesn't know why his brother, Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC), tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone prior a fight against champ Junior Dos Santos.

But he said it would be news to him if Alistair needed the hormone for medical reasons, as recent speculation would indicate.

"Because I know him so well that I think I should be aware of something like that," Valentijn Overeem today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "If that was the case, I think I would know. I would be surprised."

Alistair Overeem is scheduled to appear before the Nevada State Athletic Commission on April 24 in Las Vegas to explain a 14-to-1 testosterone-to-epitestosterone (T/E) ratio – well over the 6-to-1 ratio allowed by the commission – that was revealed by a surprise pre-fight drug test for UFC 146 on March 27.

The heavyweight contender has hired noted celebrity attorney David Chesnoff to represent him at the commission meeting. He has yet to publicly address his failed test, which could prevent him from fighting at UFC 146, which takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

This past week his past week, UFC officials submitted a license application on Overeem's behalf for UFC 146. The fighter's conditional license, which was granted for his fight with Brock Lesnar at UFC 141, expired on Dec. 31 of this past year.

Overeem's failed test was one of two he was required to take as a condition of being licensed for UFC 141 after he missed a pre-fight test one month prior to the event.

On Monday, Overeem's manager, Glenn Robinson, told HDNet's Ron Kruck that the fighter has "reasonable explanation" for the high T/E ratio, which will be explained at the April 24 hearing.

Valentijn Overeem, a longtime MMA veteran and former Strikeforce fighter, is in Holland with an expectant girlfriend and said he hasn't trained with his younger brother since he left for the U.S. in March. However, he said he never received any indication that Alistair was suffering from a condition that would necessitate the use of testosterone. He is unsure why the pre-fight drug test came back high for a high T/E ratio.

"There are different reasons why someone could have high testosterone," Valentijn Overeem said. "Taking steroids is one of them. Some people have natural testosterone at a high level anyway. I'm not saying my brother is one of those people, but there's more possibilities. If the [athletic commission] tests the sample again, just to make sure there were no mistakes, I think that would be a good start."

Valentijn could not provide details on a possible defense to the commission and didn't know that his brother had not requested the "B" sample from the positive test, which could either exonerate him if it came back within the accepted T/E ratio or potentially provide damning evidence if the presence of synthetic testosterone is revealed. (NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer confirmed that Overeem's camp has yet to request the sample.)

He did, however, advocate for random testing and expressed confidence that a second test would clear his brother of wrongdoing. While he believes Alistair should be licensed, he also respects the job of the commission.

"There are certain rules, and athletes have to abide by the rules," Valentijn Overeem said. "If there would be a second opinion or a second test, I'm sure that would change the result. The bottom line is, I think everybody just wants to know the truth. So by being transparent and double checking it, that won't harm anyone."

In the meantime, he asked that observers keep an open mind about his brother.

"You're innocent until proven guilty, and I think that's the way it should be," he said. "Look at Lance Armstrong; they've been talking about him taking stuff forever. Because you're a very good athlete and winning a lot of events doesn't necessarily mean that (you take performance-enhancing drugs). That just means that you're very dedicated and talented. I think that's the case with Alistair.

"There are always going to be people that say, 'I knew this. I knew that.' But then again, let [the commission] do whatever they have to do, and we'll see the result in the end when things are final. I think it's a bit early to jump to conclusions."

Overeem has long been dogged by allegations of steroid use but has never tested positive for banned substances.

UFC president Dana White said Alistair Overeem will get "due process" at the commission hearing before the promotion makes a decision about what to do with the fighter. As of now, the title fight is still on.

Overeem's reps declined comment to MMAjunkie.com pending the NSAC hearing.

For more on UFC 146, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
                http://mmajunkie.com/news/28290/ahea...r-alistair.mma

Comment

American MMA is rife with drug cheats. This TRT exemption that all these fighters are going for now is nothing but legalized cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by monaroCountry View Post
                    American MMA is rife with drug cheats. This TRT exemption that all these fighters are going for now is nothing but legalized cheating.
                    It's basically the equivalent of injecting straight beta-endorphin for pain tolerance, or for that matter using human growth hormone (like testosterone--an anabolic steroid--these substances are also produced naturally by the body).

Comment

Originally posted by monaroCountry View Post
                      I guarantee it's worse over seas....

Comment

Working...
                      X