No announcement yet.

Mark Hunt claims he was recently offered millions to throw fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Hunt claims he was recently offered millions to throw fight

Mark Hunt has seen a lot in his fighting career, but even he couldn’t believe the situation he found himself in recently.

Ahead of a planned return to action following a short-lived retirement, Hunt appeared on The MMA Hour where he claimed that he was recently asked to throw a fight in exchange for a sizeable paycheck. According to Hunt, the offer was in the seven figures.

Despite the massive number, Hunt didn’t even consider going along with the proposal.

“I’ve always been one that says if things aren’t right, they aren’t right,” Hunt said. “I was offered three or four million dollars to take a dive in a fight here in Australia and I said, ‘Are you serious?’

“I said no because that’s just not me. Although I could have done with the money, I was going through some hard times with the separation and s***, but I could have done with three or four million dollars. It’s just not my character. It’s not me. I’d rather just go out on my shield and then lose or die, but that’s not what I’m about.”

Hunt, 49, has competed sporadically since an acrimonious departure from the UFC in 2018. He has competed in boxing twice, most recently scoring a fourth-round TKO of Sonny Bill Williams in 2022 that was followed by Hunt announcing a retirement.

Over the course of his 24-year combat sports career, Hunt has boxed, kickboxed, and had memorable runs in MMA with both the UFC and PRIDE, including a run in the UFC’s heavyweight division that culminated in a shot at an interim belt. Through it all, Hunt had never been asked to take a dive.

“It is [the first time I’d been asked to do that], it blew my f****** mind,” Hunt said. “It blew my f****** head right off my f****** shoulders. I’m just like, ‘Holy s***, how does it work?’ Anyway, I just left it in the past, it’s kind of negative s***, but it’s real. I didn’t come upon that until then.”

Hunt did not say what promotion this rigged fight was supposedly to take place in, nor who made the offer, but he’ll be the first to tell you that it’s not the first time he’s glimpsed the dark side of the fight game.

“The Super Samoan” was recently embroiled in an ugly, years-long legal battle with the UFC after initially suing the promotion in 2017. Hunt alleged that the UFC, CEO Dana White, and UFC 200 opponent Brock Lesnar all colluded to allow Lesnar to fight him while on performance enhancing-drugs. The case was struck down in federal court this past September.

Though he has no regrets about taking on the most powerful fight promotion in the world, does Hunt worry that his willingness to stand up for himself has blackballed him from the MMA industry?

“I don’t know,” Hunt said. “To be honest, what I do now is that I’m right about it. What I do know is I ain’t scared like everyone else. I’m not a person who has fear of anything apart from God. These people—I said I wouldn’t get into this, and I won’t—I’m just saying my choices and what I did was right. I’ve always said that about standing up for what’s right and all I’ve asked for is an even playing field.”

Great Mark Hunt documentary...(click on "backup" at the bottom for alternate/better stream)

https://ww1.streamm4u.ws/movies/mark...021.yybi0.html
    Last edited by jaded; 01-13-2024, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Sounds like bs. Hunt is all kinds of fooked up & for sure has cte & who knows what else. Paying a 48 year old journeyman who might not even be ok'd to fight in the first place don't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe some YT kid offered him some money to lay down, but I'd lean towards Hunt is just fooked up & making sh^t up as more likely here.
      paulf paulf likes this.

Comment

Who the hell would both be worth that much money AND need to pay Hunt to take a dive in 2023?

He's 1-2-1 in pro boxing, 13-14-1-1 in MMA, and he hasn't won a kickboxing fight in over 20 years.

Comment

I remember Hunt had a meltdown on social media a few years ago, but then he apologized and blamed it on not having enough carbs that day.

Comment

He was never a superstar

I hated midget pro rassling
            But loved pre ufc where guys just beat the chit outta each other

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
              I remember Hunt had a meltdown on social media a few years ago, but then he apologized and blamed it on not having enough carbs that day.
              Mark Hunt in an Edinburgh accent comes out sounding like Mah C**t. Nice little pun about it in the book of 'Trainspotting' if I recall right - one of Welsh's novels anyway.. Dude rings up a busy Edinburgh bar and asks the barmaid in a posh British accent to check if there's anyone in the pub called Mark Hunt so she yells out across the busy pub... 'Has anyone seen Mark Hunt'....

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post

Mark Hunt in an Edinburgh accent comes out sounding like Mah C**t. Nice little pun about it in the book of 'Trainspotting' if I recall right - one of Welsh's novels anyway.. Dude rings up a busy Edinburgh bar and asks the barmaid in a posh British accent to check if there's anyone in the pub called Mark Hunt so she yells out across the busy pub... 'Has anyone seen Mark Hunt'....
                In America it's Mike Hunt, or Mike Hawk lol.

I never read the book, but I liked the Trainspotting movie.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
                  Who the hell would both be worth that much money AND need to pay Hunt to take a dive in 2023?

He's 1-2-1 in pro boxing, 13-14-1-1 in MMA, and he hasn't won a kickboxing fight in over 20 years.
                  His Excellency was looking for an opponent for Wilder!

Comment

Working...
                  X