No announcement yet.

Jirov-Green

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jirov-Green

Jirov has called out Danny Green and apparently his people have made contact.

Obviously Danny is unlikely to take this fight despite Jirov's "massive history" but how do you see it playing out if it did? I think it would be a very entertaining fight. Both come-forward brawlers. Green would have a power edge but Jirov is extremely tough and has a very high workrate.

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
    Jirov has called out Danny Green and apparently his people have made contact.

Obviously Danny is unlikely to take this fight despite Jirov's "massive history" but how do you see it playing out if it did? I think it would be a very entertaining fight. Both come-forward brawlers. Green would have a power edge but Jirov is extremely tough and has a very high workrate.
    Took me a while to find him on boxrec, there's a few different spelling variations of his name. He's listed as 'Vasily Zhirov'.

I haven't seen much of him to be honest. Would you consider him a credible opponent for Green at this stage? Jirov has only fought a couple of times in the last 3 years and I can't help but be skeptical about his return. I doubt he'd make Green's 185 catchweight either.

It could be a decent match-up but I'll have to check out his condition in his last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Philfy View Post
      Took me a while to find him on boxrec, there's a few different spelling variations of his name. He's listed as 'Vasily Zhirov'.

I haven't seen much of him to be honest. Would you consider him a credible opponent for Green at this stage? Jirov has only fought a couple of times in the last 3 years and I can't help but be skeptical about his return. I doubt he'd make Green's 185 catchweight either.

It could be a decent match-up but I'll have to check out his condition in his last fight.
      Compared to Green's normal opponents I think Vassily would be a reasonable opponent, in his day he was a good fighter. Try and get a hold of Jirov-Toney if you havent seen him before - amazing fight, one of my all time favourites.

If Jirov can get in shape and back down to Cruiser I think it would be a good fight.

Comment

Jirovs durable chin has been the victim of his head first style. He is waaaaaay shopworn. I watched Jirov/Toney and he was really hurting by the end of it and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by suffering a twelth round KD and was really lucky it wasn't stopped in my opinion.

I haven't seen Moorer KO win versus Jirov. I watched him against small heavyweight Orlin Norris fighting outdoors in the middle of summer at some rediculous temperature and wasn't convinced he was going to cut it at the top tier of heavyweight due to the weight slowing him and the power not carrying well. There was also talk from memory of suffering KOs in sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by classicbuzzbox View Post
          Jirovs durable chin has been the victim of his head first style. He is waaaaaay shopworn. I watched Jirov/Toney and he was really hurting by the end of it and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by suffering a twelth round KD and was really lucky it wasn't stopped in my opinion.

I haven't seen Moorer KO win versus Jirov. I watched him against small heavyweight Orlin Norris fighting outdoors in the middle of summer at some rediculous temperature and wasn't convinced he was going to cut it at the top tier of heavyweight due to the weight slowing him and the power not carrying well. There was also talk from memory of suffering KOs in sparring.
          Personally I thought Jirov was pretty impressive against Toney. I had him losing the fight pretty clearly, but it was a great effort against one of the slickest fighters going around.

That version of Toney humiliates any version of Green, and Jirov looked the part in there.

Prime Jirov >>>>>>>>>>>> Any version of Green by a mile.

This version, not so sure.

Still, it would be a nice change from blown up middleweights and fixed fights wouldn't it?

Comment

Personally I thought Jirov was pretty impressive against Toney. I had him losing the fight pretty clearly, but it was a great effort against one of the slickest fighters going around.

That version of Toney humiliates any version of Green, and Jirov looked the part in there.

Prime Jirov >>>>>>>>>>>> Any version of Green by a mile.

This version, not so sure.

Still, it would be a nice change from blown up middleweights and fixed fights wouldn't it?
            Regarding Jirov v Toney, I meant Jirov was edging it until the KD by referencing "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory". That version of Jirov tore through the entire cruiserweight ranks from all accounts. The KD in sparring I mentioned was against Flores I vaguely remember.

As much as I am or have been a vocal Green supporter here, I find this whole Cruiserweight issue to be a total crock of s**t. What the f##k is with this catchweight garbage. He's miles below the cruiserweight limit, getting called out by natural cruisers/ex heavies Jirov, Cameron and Flores. He hasn't looked like he's ever going to bulk up for a proper cruiserweight campain.

It's time for some real cruiserweight fights IMO and Jirov would be a good test at what would be a new weight (amazing considering he's one of the 4 major cruiserweight belt holders). Jirov isn't a huge puncher but comes to fight and if Jirov's chasing the fight it would be a good litmus test for a real cruiserweight outing. I think Green is leaps and bounds better than he was at lighter weights, looking much healthier, faster and with more bang. Seeing the obvious power and skills disparity between Green and Lacy via the same opponent - RJJ, why is Green so unconvinced by his own ability? I obviously don't want that answered by the usual Green hating club, but there seems to be a genuine lack of belief from a fighter who does show alot of figs when actually in the ring. Green is not a top teir fighter, but he is alot better out there to test him than the woeful competition he has fought recently.

Comment

Originally posted by classicbuzzbox View Post
              Regarding Jirov v Toney, I meant Jirov was edging it until the KD by referencing "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory". That version of Jirov tore through the entire cruiserweight ranks from all accounts. The KD in sparring I mentioned was against Flores I vaguely remember.

As much as I am or have been a vocal Green supporter here, I find this whole Cruiserweight issue to be a total crock of s**t. What the f##k is with this catchweight garbage. He's miles below the cruiserweight limit, getting called out by natural cruisers/ex heavies Jirov, Cameron and Flores. He hasn't looked like he's ever going to bulk up for a proper cruiserweight campain.

It's time for some real cruiserweight fights IMO and Jirov would be a good test at what would be a new weight (amazing considering he's one of the 4 major cruiserweight belt holders). Jirov isn't a huge puncher but comes to fight and if Jirov's chasing the fight it would be a good litmus test for a real cruiserweight outing. I think Green is leaps and bounds better than he was at lighter weights, looking much healthier, faster and with more bang. Seeing the obvious power and skills disparity between Green and Lacy via the same opponent - RJJ, why is Green so unconvinced by his own ability? I obviously don't want that answered by the usual Green hating club, but there seems to be a genuine lack of belief from a fighter who does show alot of figs when actually in the ring. Green is not a top teir fighter, but he is alot better out there to test him than the woeful competition he has fought recently.
              This is a very good post mate and I agree with all of it.

Green may not have been fighting top opposition recently but he has still been blowing them out. I can understand why Mundine won't step up because he looks horrible. Green, on the other hand, clearly is performing well enough to at least test himself against some better guys. Lets hope it happens.

Comment

For the record Jirov's pretty shot, last year he made a comeback against a easy opponent and was knocked down a couple times before scoring a knockout himself.

Comment

jirov has not been too active & his punch bresistance isnt what it once was but green is starting to look like a sham...catchweights are stupid & why hasnt green excepted troy ross' challenge yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Marcov View Post
                    For the record Jirov's pretty shot, last year he made a comeback against a easy opponent and was knocked down a couple times before scoring a knockout himself.
                    How shot is he?

I would accept a semi-shot Jirov as a decent opponent for Green. Obviously if he is already totally done I wouldn't want to see it, but if he still has a bit of pop and something of a chin I think it would be an acceptable fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X