No announcement yet.

Whos the best rapper EVER?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MegStarr* View Post
    i don't understand those of you who back Hov as the greatest to ever do it. he's sick, but greatest ever material? i don't think so.
    Thats cool. But other people feel differently, this is all subjective.

I don't rate Jay-Z as the greatest, but if someone did I'd have no problem with that.

Jay has given us songs for dayssssssssss.......if i made a mix of all his best songs it would be like 5 cds long. lol

IMO 4 classics. (blueprint, reasonable doubt, black album, lifetime vol. 1 IMO)

Hes been the game for over a decade, and still relevant at almost 40 years old.

he has had deep songs, that maybe didn't touch the mainstreams hearts, but if you listened to his albums he has deep songs there. December 4th was deep for example, if you his whole albums, you'll find that Jay does have deep songs. How about some how some way off Blueprint 2?

his description of the hustler lifestyle is one of the best ever.

he has the greatest flow I've ever heard, and I've been listening to rap for a decade.

hes been co-signed by greats such as Kool G. Rap, KRS-One, Chuck D, B.I.G., Big Daddy Kane etc.

he has a reputation for the monster of the double entendre because of his clever word play.

impact? he set tons of trends such as button ups etc.
    he moved from the marcy project building in poverty the buisness in a suit.
    for anyone growing up in a tough position hes motivation that anything is possible if you have a talent.

heres what hip hop legend Chuck D said,

"MT: Speaking of Jay-Z, he made an appearance on Monday Night football last season. That's something that was unheard of in Hip Hop. Speak about the mainstream power of Hip Hop--translating to franchise minority ownership--through the likes of Usher, Nelly and of course Jay-Z.

Chuck D: I think anything that Jay-Z does widens the roads of availability for anyone who is smart to say wow, I can do this. Jay-Z is actually a pioneer. He realizes he can't have everything for himself, but he makes inroads so even I can drive my vehicle down the path he's blazed. I'm proud of what he's accomplished--touring and other avenues--to get to that level.

I think he's the greatest MC of all time.

MT: Wow! Big statement--especially coming from someone like you. Really?

Chuck D: He is the greatest of all time because he recognized the embodiment of everything involved--legends before him--and put his game on an entirely different level of anyone past or present. Jay-Z is the embodiment of Kool Mo Dee, Rakim, KRS1, Pac, Biggie and anyone else that has ever been on the mic. Similar to Jordan, he was the right dude at the right time. He just didn't sit on his talent. He sought other aspects of business to conquer. It's not just about how much fame on top of fame you can get. He's special. From the outside looking in, people might say he's stuffing himself. No, he's widening the road for other cats to follow. Now if cats get on the road and crash their vehicles, that's their problem. He's added a business structure to the game that hasn't been seen, taking Hip Hop to the board room, Madison Avenue and giving it a legitimate voice. My respect for Jay-Z went to a higher level when he did the Hard Knock Life Tour in 1999--performing after DMX! Making records and having skill is cool, but when you can take it to the stage and give the fans a great show, I'm tipping my hat to you. When I saw him doing that every night--going on after DMX is very difficult--I knew he was the one. I'm not saying at all that he was beating out DMX, but he held the fort down.

A lot of people don't agree with me, but I've been there, so I know what kind of effort you have to give across the board. He's phenomenal. When cats were calling Biggie the greatest of all time, I had problems with that. He came in and put out 1 1/2 records and people were judging him unfairly. There was no way he was the best.
    The most feared rapper of all time was KRS1. No one wanted to rap around the dude.

Jay-Z is Jordan. KRS1 is Bill Russell--swatting everything in his path. LL Cool J is Abdul-Jabbar for longevity. Kool Moe Dee and I play this game of comparing athletes to rappers. His list would definitely be different than mine."-Chuck D
    Last edited by Truth; 01-30-2009, 11:51 PM.

Comment

When Jay meets with the United Nations, hes paving the roads for young rappers coming up. Just because your a rapper, doesn't mean theres limits to what you can do.

Comment

"...and I can't help the poor if I'm one of them, so I got rich and gave back to them...

thats the win-win..."-Jay-Z

Comment

Jay-Z is respected amongst other musicians. He is an advocate for hip hop. Heres him performing with the Beetles Paul Mcartney.

A member of Oasis said Hip hop didn't belong at Glastonbury overseas. Jay came and rocked the place showing people that hip hop has a place with any other genre. He represented hip hop in a good light, most loved the show.

Comment

I'm not saying Jay-Z is the greatest. But I'm just showing that there different ways to view a rapper, everyone has their opinions. Jay-Z is a hip hop legend, hes one of the greatest rappers ever. With that being said, I think 2-Pac is the greatest, followed by Nas.

Comment

Originally posted by sisforshaq View Post
              Rakim and Jay-Z I have tied. Rakim is the pioneer for hip hop, he was one of the dopest mc's lyrically and released a tremendous body of work in his time. He was one of the main people that got me into rap as we know and the fact I've seen him live makes me appcreiate him that much more.

Jay-Z is the modern times Rakim for me. He unleashed one of the most brilliant hip hop albums of all time into our laps with Reasonable Doubt then unlike a lot of Mc's he continued to deliver new styles of music while keeping his general fan base and bringing in new ones each album he put out. Album to album he has a bloody incredible body of work and has given us so many timeless classic tracks. Lyrically he is always on point and is one of the most clever mc's the game has ever seen. I don't knock Nas because he has a great influence on me also but I prefer Jay's music. He has done it so many different ways while staying at the top of music it's hard to knock him. People still 13 years after Reasonable Doubt came out are dieing to hear The Blueprint 3.
              Exactly, Jay has given classic songs for daysssss days!! lol

If you go from Reasonable Doubt to American Gangster and then on top of that add in his mixtape ****. classic tracks for days

Comment

okay Truth,

you did good.

i see it

Comment

okay Truth,

you did good.

i see it
                  No I'm actually sorry, I feel like an *******. I over did it, I should have just left it alone.

I just felt like I should show why someone could think that, like for example Sisforshaq.

believe it or not I don't rate him as the greatest, like I said. I rate 2-Pac as the greatest, followed by Nas. Jay is my favorite, but I think there are rappers that are better all around like Pac and Nas.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ The Truth View Post
                    No I'm actually sorry, I feel like an *******. I over did it, I should have just left it alone.

I just felt like I should show why someone could think that, like for example Sisforshaq.

believe it or not I don't rate him as the greatest, like I said. I rate 2-Pac as the greatest, followed by Nas. Jay is my favorite, but I think there are rappers that are better all around like Pac and Nas.
                    don't apologize for feeling so strongly. we are passionate about this music. i appreciate the effort that you put into that and i am glad that i understand you now.

Comment

don't apologize for feeling so strongly. we are passionate about this music. i appreciate the effort that you put into that and i am glad that i understand you now.
                      Thank you.

I just don't want to be annoying to anyone.

I know I've already said this a million times, but for the 2 millionth time...lol

I'm not even saying that I believe hes the greatest. All I'm saying is, he deserves to metioned in that discussion in my opinion. Thats just my opinion, I'm not saying opinion is right, or better than anybody elses.

I respect Gold Mac's opinion. And I respect your opinion. Both of you are great fans with tons of knowledge. And in fact I think both of you know more than I do overall. I know alot, but you two know more.
                      Last edited by Truth; 01-31-2009, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X