Whos the best rapper EVER?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MegStarr* View Post
    yeah you're absolutely right
    i tried to feel it. i really did. i copped Amerikka's Most Wanted with the understanding that it is considered a classic within the hip hop realm and tried to start-to-finish it and I just didn't really enjoy it. i can definitely appreciate Ice Cube for his contributions to what i do bump passionately from start to finish but i have a hard time relating to his music on that level. it is difficult for me to truly connect to it because of my age. although most of what i listen to was dropped before "my time". but again that classic west coast sound...difficult for me to really get into.

First and foremost, I can respect that you understand what I'm saying.

The only thing I'd have to say in response though,

is that AMW, KAW, DC and even Predator, didn't have what you call that "classic west coast sound", because at that time, there wasn't a difference in the sounds coming from the east, west or south.

Btw, AMW was produced by The Bomb Squad, Chuck Ds crew.

Back then, it was either, Hiphop, or wackness. It wasn't really until Dre came with the Chronic that these little subdivisions started getting made due to the east coast being upset that LA stole alot of shine and that Dre called it "G-funk".

But if you really want to look at who helped make the west coast "sound",

look no further than EPMD.

I'll never waver from my opinion that the media helped create the divisions in Hiphop that we have today.

You can go listen to Scarfaces very first album, "Mr. Scarface is Back", and see his sound in regards to beats, was just like anything coming out of NY or LA.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ The Truth View Post
      I own america's most wanted. thats proof i tried to get into his music.
      Trying and understanding the impact he made are completely different, especially with preconcieved notions about what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro! View Post
        Trying and understanding the impact he made are completely different, especially with preconcieved notions about what it is.
        I understand the impact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. I'm sorry man I'm just getting that damn it I want to go to sleep bad attitude.

I better get offline.

peace to you. and peace to megstarr*

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ The Truth View Post
          I understand the impact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. I'm sorry man I'm just getting that damn it I want to go to sleep bad attitude.

I better get offline.

peace to you. and peace to megstarr*

Yes, you understand the impact, I'm not saying you don't.

I'm saying, even though you "tried to get into it", you don't realize the "why" portion of that impact.

Paz.

Comment

First and foremost, I can respect that you understand what I'm saying.

The only thing I'd have to say in response though,

is that AMW, KAW, DC and even Predator, didn't have what you call that "classic west coast sound", because at that time, there wasn't a difference in the sounds coming from the east, west or south.

Btw, AMW was produced by The Bomb Squad, Chuck Ds crew.

Back then, it was either, Hiphop, or wackness. It wasn't really until Dre came with the Chronic that these little subdivisions started getting made due to the east coast being upset that LA stole alot of shine and that Dre called it "G-funk".

But if you really want to look at who helped make the west coast "sound",

look no further than EPMD.

I'll never waver from my opinion that the media helped create the divisions in Hiphop that we have today.

You can go listen to Scarfaces very first album, "Mr. Scarface is Back", and see his sound in regards to beats, was just like anything coming out of NY or LA.
            but i enjoy Public Enemy far more than NWA...
            maybe it's because i'm crazy. but i definitely notice a difference because one appeals to me and the other really doesn't.

Comment

but i enjoy Public Enemy far more than NWA...
              maybe it's because i'm crazy. but i definitely notice a difference because one appeals to me and the other really doesn't.
              PE is probably my favorite group of all time.

I'll never forget the first time I heard,

"Too Black.....Too Strong....Too Black....Too Strong......"and then chaos ensues. I just loved that sonic madness they brought.

Fear of a Black Planet is my favorite PE album. I used to go nuts listening to "Welcome To the Terrordome".

IMO, I think NWA doesn't really appeal to you because you came up in the era of Hiphop divide and thus created a bias towards more "east coast" based Hiphop.

Comment

PE is probably my favorite group of all time.

I'll never forget the first time I heard,

"Too Black.....Too Strong....Too Black....Too Strong......"and then chaos ensues. I just loved that sonic madness they brought.

Fear of a Black Planet is my favorite PE album. I used to go nuts listening to "Welcome To the Terrordome".

IMO, I think NWA doesn't really appeal to you because you came up in the era of Hiphop divide and thus created a bias towards more "east coast" based Hiphop.
                yeah Fear of A Black Planet and Yo! Bum Rush The Show are 2 of the 3 cassette tapes that i own. there are people in my life that don't understand how i can get so hype from music that is so outwardly considered "black power music" being white but it is hard to find anything that matches that energy and level of empowerment.

i can understand where you are coming from with the last comment except that i do not consider myself to really be at all biased in terms of regional preference in hip hop. i just like what appeals to my ear and soul. it is a valid point though for sure.

Comment

yeah Fear of A Black Planet and Yo! Bum Rush The Show are 2 of the 3 cassette tapes that i own. there are people in my life that don't understand how i can get so hype from music that is so outwardly considered "black power music" being white but it is hard to find anything that matches that energy and level of empowerment.

i can understand where you are coming from with the last comment except that i do not consider myself to really be at all biased in terms of regional preference in hip hop. i just like what appeals to my ear and soul. it is a valid point though for sure.
                  My bad, I think I got you mixed up with that other cat then who said he prefers east coast.

But yea, even as a Mexican kid in the 80s, it was empowering to me, but I guess its easier on my side as I'm a "minority" as well so there was I guess, a kindred spirit coming through my speakers. Being poor and able to relate to the words also helped in my love for Hiphop music, at that time. I've always been a "beats" guy first, but those words were still something to me as well.

But the beats, they always made me go crazy.

lol "2 out of 3".

All good though dude, thanks for a good discussion.

I'm out to bed. Gotta take my son to tryouts in the morning.

Heres a funny for you,

my dad used to let me bump Luke Skyywalker and the 2 Live Crew.

"EVERYBODY SAY HEYYYYYYYY,,

WE WANT SOME P U SSS SAASYYYYY"

I was about 10.

Comment

My bad, I think I got you mixed up with that other cat then who said he prefers east coast.

But yea, even as a Mexican kid in the 80s, it was empowering to me, but I guess its easier on my side as I'm a "minority" as well so there was I guess, a kindred spirit coming through my speakers. Being poor and able to relate to the words also helped in my love for Hiphop music, at that time. I've always been a "beats" guy first, but those words were still something to me as well.

But the beats, they always made me go crazy.

lol "2 out of 3".

All good though dude, thanks for a good discussion.

I'm out to bed. Gotta take my son to tryouts in the morning.

Heres a funny for you,

my dad used to let me bump Luke Skyywalker and the 2 Live Crew.

"EVERYBODY SAY HEYYYYYYYY,,

WE WANT SOME P U SSS SAASYYYYY"

I was about 10.
                    good luck to your son
                    and mad respects to your father for being one dope ass daddy.

Comment

I dont understand how people could not count Jay as the greatest opinion wise.. Truth nailed it.. he put my thoughts into facts.. dude was a pioneer. Nas is tremendous, I love Kool G and a a bunch of dope mc's but Jay has been a pop culture and hip hop influence. I dont argue with your choices to say Jay cant compare is just ignorant.

Comment

Working...
                      X