Reparations time. Pay what you owe!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
    This is exactly my point.

It's really not tough at all. There needs to be "requirements". Of those requirements, one would have to meet a certain high percentage in order to be classified as African American.

A Jew with supposed dark skin just can't walk up and say "Hey, I'm African American", especially when they lived their whole life clearly not identifying as an African American, nor do they meet any of the other additional criteria.

Lol everyone would start wanting to be black all of a sudden until they're pulled over by the cops
    I don’t know if it’s that simple. Very “white” looking jews and African Americans distance themselves by changing their names, histories, etc. to better fit into the power structure in place where they were located.

Also, it seems kinda prejudice reverse prejudice to limit a class of claimants based on skin color...

I’m darker does not necessarily mean I suffered more in life? my granny had a fro, she kept in a bun, but I got good hair...

I identify as a Jew because I was raised as a Jew. I as also told I’d be great,,because I look a certain way. Mexicans see me as a Mexican plus jew(I’m not cheap)
    Jews see me as a Sephardi

Last point for me is..... just because I can check multiple boxes on a census, college admission, whatever... does not mean I haven’t, in some way, some where, been hated or persecuted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
      Weren't Liberians originally African Americans who moved to Liberia in the early to mid 1900's?

You have to go back to the list of criteria I laid out for you and ask the question how would they apply?

If they've been living in Liberia their whole life, to me, they would be Liberian with African American descent.

Remember I spoke about cultural, geographic, economic and social factors as my original criteria/requirements? Immediately, a few disqualifying factors jump out to me. But then again, we would have to calculate what percentage of the criteria they meet. Are they US citizens for starters?
      Why do they or should they be rqured to be US citizens?
      I’m getting high now.. so I’ll holla at you later. Peace

Comment

• Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
        I don’t know if it’s that simple. Very “white” looking jews and African Americans distance themselves by changing their names, histories, etc. to better fit into the power structure in place where they were located.
        Well, since you bring up this point, let's talk about it and I think you will answer your question at hand all the while proving the racist institutions in place and why the need for reparations exists.

Let's start here.

Comment

Why do they or should they be rqured to be US citizens?
          I’m getting high now.. so I’ll holla at you later. Peace
          Well, in order to receive US funded reparations, one needs to be an American citizen, particularly African American.

BTW, I never figured out why the Jews got reparations from the US for something that happened in Germany that the US had no responsibility for.

Wanna know something else? The Jews weren't the only ones persecuted in Germany. Guess who else was? Blacks... African American soldiers as well. Should we have been given reparations like the Jews since we were also killed in Germany and sought out for the color of our skin?
          Last edited by Chollo Vista; 05-24-2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -Yup, Gummybear tuffy beating that dead reparations horse whilst bleating for alms in his soiled diapers.

#datbeeU
            Thank you for admitting you were wrong, dummy

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
            Who's responsible for slavery in America from 1808-1865 when the importation of slaves from Africa was made illegal, Queenie?
            Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            Obviously the US in that mix after 1808...

Anything else you want to admit you were wrong about? How about the 14th Amendment? Or about Andrew Johnson being a republican

Your last few posts are not even trying. I think I beat the fight out of you. Just give up
            Last edited by travestyny; 05-24-2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

[/B]
              Apportioning blame and damages for this (bold)is the most difficult part of the discussion. I struggle with the how’s, ex. how can any formulaic construct adequately and equitably compensate he people whose ancestors were slaves.

I have the blood of at least one ex slave in my lineage. More if you factor in my jewish ancestors. I’m a Spanish/Mexican Jew, we got kicked outta Spain and no country wanted us. I don’t know who to blame.....

I got too much to say, to share, to learn..

I’m kinda on both sides of this issue. I can try to put myself ....... f it ....

Brother... I can’t type as fast as I think... I have I’ll or nothing new to add. I’ll try to list in as cold a manner as possible. Here’s an example that just came to mind..

India: what does Britain owe??
              Pakistan: see above
              Japan: what are Ainu owed.
              Japan: Rikyu islands( what are okinawan’s owed
              USA: native Americans, Pacific Islanders, slavess, people displaced by slave labor(*******s) Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Irish, Chinese,

I could go on and on, but where can a value/line e drawn. when can any reparations repair anything.

I’m not attacking you brother,, all men are my brothers. But, I see no end to reparations. None.

Who can compensate children who were never born because of genocide or other catastrophe that impacted them.

I’ll end with this... I used to think .....’if honky wasn’t holding me back I’d do.... or I’d be... “

This mindset was my crutch, my life preserver, which allowed me the ability to excuse myself etc... I hated seeing Asian, or other people come up, and move outta my hood. They helped themselves...

Chollo is right. I've heard a few people talk about who should receive reparations and the way that makes the most sense always revolves around proof that you've lived your life as an African American. That you've actively identified as an African American for a certain period of time.

For example, I'm assuming you've identified as a Mexican. I'm guessing you never checked the "Black or African Descent" box when doing a census or other form that calls for it. That would eliminate you.

Nothing is going to erase what slavery has done, but reparations can certainly help. And sure, ANYONE who feels they were wronged for any reason should make their point and dig in. Why not?

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
                Chollo is right. I've heard a few people talk about who should receive reparations and the way that makes the most sense always revolves around proof that you've lived your life as an African American. That you've actively identified as an African American for a certain period of time.

For example, I'm assuming you've identified as a Mexican. I'm guessing you never checked the "Black or African Descent" box when doing a census or other form that calls for it. That would eliminate you.

Nothing is going to erase what slavery has done, but reparations can certainly help. And sure, ANYONE who feels they were wronged for any reason should make their point and dig in. Why not?

I don’t get it. I check a box from now on, and am I not entitled to reparations. You and chollo can’t be the guys who decide who is or isn’t entitled. Right now, we just flushing out details, but it’s the details that really matter.

Case 1. A light skinned African American, who was a house boy, emancipated, pre Lincoln and his war ? Btw, my people come from south Texas, weslaco, la frontera.
                What can an octoroon who has more generations. Free than enslaved get? Surely someone in his family tree suffered? I don’t think it is as simple as many think. Reparations .

I stayed outta this thread to avoid facing things dead on. I have never discussed reparations before... repairing what ?

What about poor white farmers who. We’re adversely affected by slavery, put out of business because they could not compete, and lost everything.

I’m not trying to muddy the waters, but I don’t think it is possible to repair any past wrongs now..

Comment

I don’t get it. I check a box from now on, and am I not entitled to reparations. You and chollo can’t be the guys who decide who is or isn’t entitled. Right now, we just flushing out details, but it’s the details that really matter.
                  I think the key is that you've had to have been living and identifying as an African American for your entire life with proof. Checking a box now isn't going to make you appear to be black and qualify for reparations.

There is a video of a discussion about this that I've found. I'll try to find it again and post it at the end.

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  Case 1. A light skinned African American, who was a house boy, emancipated, pre Lincoln and his war ? Btw, my people come from south Texas, weslaco, la frontera.
                  What can an octoroon who has more generations. Free than enslaved get? Surely someone in his family tree suffered? I don’t think it is as simple as many think. Reparations .
                  Well we would have to look at the specific details. It would seem that such a person was able to find out lots of information about his family. When was he freed? How long has his family suffered? Did he identify as African American and live through the Jim Crow era being discriminated against? If so, then he would be entitled to reparations. Remember, it's not only about slavery.

I stayed outta this thread to avoid facing things dead on. I have never discussed reparations before... repairing what ?

What about poor white farmers who. We’re adversely affected by slavery, put out of business because they could not compete, and lost everything.
                  Sure, if poor white farmers want to bring up damages against the United States because they feel that they were wronged due to slavery, then they should go for it! Why not?

I’m not trying to muddy the waters, but I don’t think it is possible to repair any past wrongs now..

Well yea, like I said, nothing will completely repair it. But it's about making amends for past wrongdoings, and certainly reparations would help to right the wrong.

Here is the discussion about how this could work:

He gives 2 criteria.

1. The person must show that they have an ancestor that was enslaved in the United States.

2. The person should be able to demonstrate that at least 10 years before the reparations program, they identified as Black, African American, Negro, or colored in some official document.

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
                    I think the key is that you've had to have been living and identifying as an African American for your entire life with proof. Checking a box now isn't going to make you appear to be black and qualify for reparations.

There is a video of a discussion about this that I've found. I'll try to find it again and post it at the end.

Well we would have to look at the specific details. It would seem that such a person was able to find out lots of information about his family. When was he freed? How long has his family suffered? Did he identify as African American and live through the Jim Crow era being discriminated against? If so, then he would be entitled to reparations. Remember, it's not only about slavery.

Sure, if poor white farmers want to bring up damages against the United States because they feel that they were wronged due to slavery, then they should go for it! Why not?

Well yea, like I said, nothing will completely repair it. But it's about making amends for past wrongdoings, and certainly reparations would help to right the wrong.

Here is the discussion about how this could work:

He gives 2 criteria.

1. The person must show that they have an ancestor that was enslaved in the United States.

2. The person should be able to demonstrate that at least 10 years before the reparations program, they identified as Black, African American, Negro, or colored in some official document.

I still see people coming outta the woodwork s claiming damages..

Also, who is entitled to speak for another bother? I gots plenty of homies doing time... who I know will argue if. Xxx slavery... I’d be free in Arica.....

I just think that the class of people’s armed, to what degree, for how long needs to be addressed..

For me, my. GG grand mother Angelita Jackson deserves it. I demand it... justice.

One guy I met, had a tat, 13 & 1/2 on his chest. I asked about t, just outta curiosity, he told me that 13 and 1/2 meant he fought a losing battle.. 12 was the jurors who already decided he was guilty, plus the judge = 13

After a long penitentiary pause, Hesiod that the 1/2was his chance at winning. He later covered over tat ink with a rose or something.

Comment

I agree with Trav and think that anyone who felt they were wrong should come forward. However, I would advise that these "farmers" you talk about should tread lightly. Why?

Farmers were also a major beneficiary of federal aid programs. Over the last century, various laws allowed agrarian homesteaders to claim millions of acres of public lands for farming. For example, the Homestead Act of 1862 gave 160 acres to any settler who would farm the land for 5 years. Nearly all of the earlier large farms were originally acquired through direct or indirect government homesteading assistance. These properties often remained in the family for gernerations and their value was frequently augmented by additional governement subsidies and tax advantages. This preferential treatment still exists.

When Ronald Reagan became President, the Federal Price Support Program had an annual budget of $4 billion per year. He increased the annual budget to a record $57 billion. From 1986-1989, Reagan spent, on average, $600,000 per farm. This massive redistribution of public funds amounts to an expensive affirmative action program for rural white Americans.

Clearly, government-sponsored farm support programs have provided a steady source of income and a safety net for generations of farmers. Congress decided in 1967 that farmers could sell or rent their quota to other landowners. Once a quota is separated from the land, it beccomes a commodity all its own, like silver or gold. Production quotas are sold at public auctions and advertised for rent in newspapers. It is ironic, but the country is adamantly opposed to the use of quotas to help blacks, but feels no such reluctance in establishing beneficial quotas on peanuts, for example.

Government has provided subsidies to non-black, special interest groups for more than two centuries. In 1994, some of the federal government's favorite annual subsidies and special interests are: a 188 million subsidy for fertilizer research with the Tennessee Valley Authority; a $32 million 40-year old subsidy to honey producers; a $212 million 42 year old subsidy to wool and hair farmers; and the $470 million annual subsidy to farmers. Besides import commodity quotas, farmers profit from corn, wheat, tobacco, soybean and peanut allotments and quotas. For example, in 1949, the US Dept of Agriculture established a minimum support price for peanuts that the government pays if the market does not. Under this income maintenance system, only farms with a peanut quota or allotment can produce peanuts for sale in the US, and only a specific number of pounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X