No announcement yet.

Rams-Pats least watched Super Bowl in a decade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Rams-Pats least watched Super Bowl in a decade

Super Bowl LIII drew the smallest television audience in more than a decade, according to figures released Monday evening by the Nielsen Co.

The New England Patriots' 13-3 victory over the Los Angeles Rams averaged about 98.2 million viewers on CBS, the lowest since Super Bowl XLII averaged 97.4 million viewers after the 2007 season. The preliminary household rating of 41.1 was the lowest since Super Bowl XXXVII, played after the 2003 season.

This year's game was a defensive struggle after a record-setting season of offensive fireworks. The Patriots led 3-0 at halftime, and the Rams did not score until 2 minutes, 11 seconds remained in the third quarter. The teams' 16 combined points was the lowest total in Super Bowl history.

Super Bowl LIII drew a total audience of 100.7 million, CBS said in a statement. That figure includes television viewers on CBS and ESPN Deportes, along with digital and streaming services on CBS Interactive, NFL digital properties and Verizon mobile. ESPN Deportes averaged 473,000 viewers, according to Nielsen's data.

Viewership was especially low in New Orleans, where only 26.1 percent of the market tuned into the game, according to Nielsen's overnight numbers -- by far the lowest since New Orleans became a metered ratings market in 1998.

New Orleans typically ranks among the top markets in the country when it comes to the percentage of the metro population watching Super Bowls or NFL games in general. By comparison, Super Bowl LII drew a 53.0 rating in New Orleans. The lowest Super Bowl rating in New Orleans in recent history was a 48.4 two years ago -- when the rival Atlanta Falcons were in the game.

This year, however, New Orleans actually reveled in boycotting the Super Bowl across the city to make a statement against the officiating error that helped keep the Saints out of the game. Thousands of fans attended anti-Super Bowl events throughout the city, from the "Boycott Bowl" concert and "Blackout and Gold" second-line parade in the French Quarter to the "anti-LIE Bowl" block party uptown.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...st-2007-season

I didn't watch. I was doing something when it started and all the updates I was seeing were saying the game is boring so I didn't bother tuning in

Comment

Half of the people I spoke to at work turned the tv off or slept off by half time. It was a low scoring game and there were no interesting plays too.

Comment

I wonder why OP found this funny? At best it's a fun fact.

Anyway, I'm sure they're crying about only having 100 million viewers.

Comment

all season long people were crying about teams scoring TOO MANY POINTS and saying "where's the defense?" now the defense shows up and mofos still btching? lol you can't win. this was like two elite pitchers taking turns pitching a shutout.

Comment

I understand that nfl ratings have been on a downward slope the last few years. That said 100 mil plus views is still nuts. That’s almost 1 in the Americans watching.

Comment

Well, I work nights so I slept through the game. But I’m sure a lot of people are getting bored of the Pats every year, and weren’t the Rams one of the worst teams in the league last year? Seems like only in the NFL can you go from basement to champion in one year.

Shame, was using it as a sign. If the Rams won I was going to cop the Laney AJ5’s that dropped, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

Comment

I watched, but this is the least amount of of football I've watched in years.

It's just not an enjoyable sport anymore.

And watching Brady win Superbowls with a bunch of 5 yard passes that go for 11-12 yards is a joke.
                Last edited by AddiX; 02-05-2019, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I've never liked football much but people who complain about defensive games confuse me.

Isn't the entire point of the sport the hits/defense?

Watching a guy run on grass with a ball is really not that exciting.

I'm glad their ratings are tanking. They pandered way too much to the militants.

The group that commits by far the highest rate of interracial killings is going to unload the blame on the group they kill the most?

Great protest. Next time have a bunch of 40 year old men protest the one case of a toddler molesting a 40 year old man and ignore the 40,000,000 that happened the other way around.
                  Last edited by ////; 02-05-2019, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
                    I've never liked football much but people who complain about defensive games confuse me.

Isn't the entire point of the sport the hits/defense?

Watching a guy run on grass with a ball is really not that exciting.
                    Not to mention it’s never been a high scoring sport, but a touchdown is worth 6 and a field goal worth 3. A 28-21 game is just 4-3 lol

Comment

Working...
                    X