Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Force General: Too many white men in USAF, must change to reflect demographics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REAL TALK] Air Force General: Too many white men in USAF, must change to reflect demographics

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. -- The U.S. Air Force is trying new initiatives to sustain and build its pilot ranks, including a unique fly-only track within Air Mobility Command, bonus incentives and preferred basing.

But another element the service wants to build on? Trust.

"We have asked them to do a lot over 25 years," said Gen. Mike Holmes, head of Air Combat Command. He spoke during a panel addressing the service's pilot shortage at the Air Force Association Air, Space and Cyber conference.

The panel also included Lt. Gen. Scott Rice, director of the Air National Guard, and Gen. Maryanne Miller, head of Air Mobility Command, who was most recently the head of the Air Force Reserve.

"I think the momentum is building. In Air Combat Command, we're flying more. … My preferred technique is to keep you busy flying. But I want you to trust us," Holmes said.

He pointed to Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson and Chief of Staff Gen David Goldfein's vision to reduce additional and miscellaneous duties that take airmen away from their primary jobs.

Miller said she expects to hear from more airmen on flight lines as she travels in her new role to AMC bases in coming months.

"I hope to get that feedback. My gut says we haven't broken trust," she said. "[But] are we busy? We are busier than we've ever been. Is that demand signal going to slow down? The answer is it is not going to slow down. We're going to have to prioritize the training versus getting the mission done versus building that [downtime] with your families. We've got work to do."

She said AMC is responsible for roughly 40 percent of the Air Force's pilot attrition each year, contributing to the service's overall pilot shortage. The bonus take rate has not seen a spike either, she said.

"The economy is looking for you," Holmes said to airmen in the room, referencing the recent airline hiring boom. He said airline hiring efforts are the biggest factor that drives pilot retention and production problem in the services.

Twenty-five years of continuous combat have made Air Force fliers the "best the world has ever seen," Holmes said.

But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

The composition of flight squadrons needs to reflect the entire U.S. population, he said. Squadrons today, particularly fighter squadrons, are still mostly composed of white males, something that must change to reflect the country's demographics, he added.

While the pilot shortage remains less of a problem in the Guard, "the crisis is coming," Rice said.

"I can't offer you the compensation that Delta Airlines can," Holmes said. "What we can offer you is a life of meaning and purpose. I want you to feel like you are a part of a community … the squadron is the place where that community exists."

https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/201...community.html

People still think equality of outcome is the goal? Such a stupid goal.

Comment

I want the best American pilots defending our skies.
      That’s it.

Comment

Politics is going to ruin and weaken the military.

War is not the place for politicians.

America didn’t learn anything from the fall of Rome or the Soviet Union I see.

The military has more white men because whites are the majority by far and men are more fit for military service than women period.

It is just simple logic. Nothing nefarious going on with that.
        Last edited by BoxingTech718; 09-24-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
          I want the best American pilots defending our skies.
          That’s it.
          This right here.

Comment

I don't get why people think this equality sh^t is more important then mfers wanting to make the most of an opportunity or being able to do the end goal of the opportunity given.

People have certain talents, people have certain things they enjoy, people have certain things they wanna do. There is no affirmation actions with your talent, your enjoyment or what you wanna do. Let sh^t fall where it may.

As long as there is nothing keeping people out thats unfair or unjust then fair play. This there needs to be 52% females as CEO's or a 77% white people, 17% latino people, 13% black people sh^t in every job in the US sh^t is insanity & not attainable w/o requiring people who have no talent, no enjoyment or no desire to do certain jobs into a specific job which is a dumb mfing goal to have. Let people steer towards what they like or wanna do naturally however that tends to fall.

Comment

Good to see administrators asking the tough questions-why doesn't our employee roster look like the USA does?

The notion that minorities are not equipped or don't want to fly planes is ridiculous. Minorities have the same goals and aspirations as white people do, they just don't always have the same access to opportunities for a myriad of reasons.

Lets hope we see more of it until our jobs, academic institutions and our jails/prisons more closely resemble the demographic breakdown of US society.

Comment

This is the 'Cult of diversity'

Comment

Don't white men and females make up the majority of the US population? Isn't it like 75% of or so? Also i'd imagine being able to fly a plane much less be a pilot in the US air force is extremely difficult

Why would you want to pick people above others even though they aren't as qualified? I can understand if it was a job application at Burger king (all though still unfair imo).. but a ****ing pilot? I heard this is the same thing going on with air traffic controllers.. you know the people stopping planes crashing into each other/helping them land.. an extremely stressful and hard job

This equality crap is ****ing nonsense

I wish i was ****ing Brad Pitt or Ronaldo.. i am not

What's next punishing people with good genetics?

Why not? after all the pretty girl has a way easier time with life then an uglier one.. same with men

Comment

As someone who is currently serving in the Air force and works closely with flightline personnel, that dude can go screw himself. I can guarantee you nobody actually out there working thinks that. To be honest we have a lot of Hispanics in those AFSCs out there on the line, my brother in law and cousin being a couple of them

Comment

Working...
                    X