Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official 2018 World Cup thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senegal might be a threat with Mane and they have Koulibaly.

Japan are always technically quite good.

African nations have actually gotten worse by being more ‘tactical’.

Tunisia did alright in the 2nd half but they were super defensive and their best player was the referee who more or less jobbed England. With less fortune England would have won 4-5 at least Kane would have had 4 with the two pens not given.

Back in the day African teams were known for their flare, pace, and attacking talent.

All of them have been defensive and dour thus far.

Only Morocco had a go but they were playing another weak team.

Tunisia planned for 2 draws and to try and beat Panama
    Last edited by Sparked_26; 06-19-2018, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Mashdown View Post
      Loftus-Cheek and Rashford has to start. Sterling is dog ****.
      What I would say about RLC is that his stamina is suspect.

I’m excited about him but it has held him back at Chelsea because he’s tire badly around 65 mins. He might have improved physically with a full season under his belt.

He had a lot of growing pain type issues that have still not subsided really. Prone to muscle injuries.

Physically he’s a beast but it’s come at a cost so far in his young career.

Desperate for him to play and start for Chelsea though. Like all Chelsea fans

Comment

• My team for Panama and Belgium

Swap Young for Rose, drop Sterling to a more wide position where he's successful at City.

Drop Ali, bring in RLC who looks the most comfortable player we have on the ball, and bring in Vardy who can run for 90 minutes and cause problems.

Bring on Rashford and Lingard (the latter i find more effective as a sub) for the last 20 mins to run at tiring defenders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
          Looked better than we have.

We’re very streaky. For 30 mins we were definitely quite impressive.

The issue is Lingard and Sterling aren’t that good.

Apart from strangely Peru I think that’s the most chances anyone has created thus far.

Finishing was appalling. The big boys would have won maybe 5 or 6 -1.

Can’t say England were unlucky. Lingard and Sterling are extremely unlikely to take any chances. They lack quality.

In contrast to the Mexicans who couldn’t find the final pass. England actually could but their heads went when faced with goal.

Instead of Kane.

Kane is a world class striker.

Vardy/Kane would be my choice vs Panama
          Lingard and Sterling were the main reason for England's good start and are probably 2 of the key players in that system in the sense of winning the ball in advanced areas and breaking quickly.

Rashford doesn't get into the goalscoring positions those 2 do, his movement isn't that good. They aren't world class finishers but neither is Rashford, at least with the other 2 you'll get the chances.

Embarrassing that Alli stayed on so long last night, did he touch the ball after the first half hour? RLC in from the start against Panama.

All things aside we aren't actually very good and I think everyone knows it, players and fans included. Get through the group and have a go against Poland/Colombia, anything else is a bonus really.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
            Lingard and Sterling were the main reason for England's good start and are probably 2 of the key players in that system in the sense of winning the ball in advanced areas and breaking quickly.

Rashford doesn't get into the goalscoring positions those 2 do, his movement isn't that good. They aren't world class finishers but neither is Rashford, at least with the other 2 you'll get the chances.

Embarrassing that Alli stayed on so long last night, did he touch the ball after the first half hour? RLC in from the start against Panama.

All things aside we aren't actually very good and I think everyone knows it, players and fans included. Get through the group and have a go against Poland/Colombia, anything else is a bonus really.
            Commentators kept saying that Ali was injured?

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post

Yeah can’t criticise either for not getting in the positions.

I’m not onboard at all with Rashford at this time.

I’d start Vardy and even Welbeck over him. Both offer more for England on their own ways. Rashford is extremely raw. He gets brought on in the hope he strips someone for pace and put one in the top bin as opposed to adding anything tactically.

Welbeck would press defenders very aggressively as would Vardy.

I have never once said anything positive about Alli myself. He has massive technical flaws. Loose first touch, can’t receive the ball in tight spaces. Game is unsuited to international football. He can make intelligent runs and he is effective in open play.

Again with him your banking on inspiration.

We have have a decent system. Just tweaking the line up.

Southgate is doing well, imo.

Alli is a blind spot but maybe he offers more than it seems
              Last edited by Sparked_26; 06-19-2018, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by black.ink View Post

My team for Panama and Belgium

Swap Young for Rose, drop Sterling to a more wide position where he's successful at City.

Drop Ali, bring in RLC who looks the most comfortable player we have on the ball, and bring in Vardy who can run for 90 minutes and cause problems.

Bring on Rashford and Lingard (the latter i find more effective as a sub) for the last 20 mins to run at tiring defenders.
                I like this team but probably would have Lingard for Sterling.

RLC is made for international footy really. Could be our Moussa Dembele. Very similar skill set.

I noticed Young getting stick but he put a few quality crosses in. Rose is a better defender and athlete but against Panama I’d play the one who carries more threat

Comment

• Who are you picking today lads?

Comment

• Can the tomb king lift Egypt past Russia?

Im on Senegal with Mane to score

Comment

• Originally posted by Szef View Post
                      Who are you picking today lads?
                      Poland and Columbia.

I am interested in Japan though. Sometimes they can be a threat. I just think the physicality of Poland will be too much.

Just seen the games are the other way round

Poland and Columbia
                      Last edited by Sparked_26; 06-19-2018, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X