Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cassuis Marcellus Clay: great man great name!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
    Good stuff! I didn't see any definitive citations for him freeing or not freeing his slaves before the civil war, but most of the links state specifically that he did free them before the civil war. One said he only freed a portion of them. Most of them say he freed them but allowed them to stay and be paid for their work.

My assumption is that he did in fact free them, and let them stay to be paid if they so desired. Maybe that they stayed was the confusion on that original link. The man took bullets for his belief that slaves should be set free, so that is certainly honorable!
    He was a crazy social justice warrior with weapons who fought back. He was hated by many people. Crazy dude!

It’s cool to find people who like Ali don’t bow down to social and political pressure! Great men are like that. MLK, Kennedy, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
      He was a crazy social justice warrior with weapons who fought back. He was hated by many people. Crazy dude!

It’s cool to find people who like Ali don’t bow down to social and political pressure! Great men are like that. MLK, Kennedy, etc.
      It would be cool if it is found that Ali was in fact related to that Clay. I'd still respect his name change, but who would mind having a brave person like that in their family? Much respect for bringing this to our attention!

Comment

Mohammed and his step son were slave owners too.

But, Cassius Clay was a great man for sure.

But, people can call themselves whatever they like.
        I wish someone had that discussion with him and recorded it for us to now see his reply.

Comment

It would be cool if it is found that Ali was in fact related to that Clay. I'd still respect his name change, but who would mind having a brave person like that in their family? Much respect for bringing this to our attention!
          No worries, I respect iconoclastic people who , just ike Mandela, and others spoke truth to power. The world needs people like these people.

I knew a man, a Mexican American man who looked Japanese. His boss was a second generation Japanese American, UC Berkeley graduate who owned his own farm back when Santa Clara county(Silicon Valley) was orchards and farmland. His name was Tom Mitstuyoshi, and I dated his daughter in high school.

Tom married late in life, because durning WWII he got locked up for being a Man of Japanese descent. He got bused to Manzanar, a Japanese relocation center. Jose, his employee said he was Japanese too, and got sent to manzanar as well. He served 3 years there before being released with nothing. Jose rode with him, back to San Jose, and they started from zero. Tom painted a few pieces while locked up. I was given one, but donated it to Tom’s Methodist church in japan town in San Jose. Tom built his business back and never complained. I believe president Reagan compensated people like Tom, but he never cashed the check. It was chump change anyway. When Tom died 10 years ago, 5,000 plus people showed up to say farewell to a great man.

Slaves were not compensated, but as Tom used to say, I got things to do, no time to dwell on the past. Great man.

Leah, my ex high school girl friend and I attended Cal together, we followed Tom’s lead. His eldest daughter Meri also graduated from Cal. If I never met Tom, I wouldn’t be who I am today. Jose, his kids, and his whole clan showed up at Tom’s funeral. It was amazing.

There are some really amazing people out there. Let’s be those kinda people.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
            I wish someone had that discussion with him and recorded it for us to now see his reply.
            Yeah, that would have been great to hear, in his own words.

Comment

No worries, I respect iconoclastic people who , just ike Mandela, and others spoke truth to power. The world needs people like these people.

I knew a man, a Mexican American man who looked Japanese. His boss was a second generation Japanese American, UC Berkeley graduate who owned his own farm back when Santa Clara county(Silicon Valley) was orchards and farmland. His name was Tom Mitstuyoshi, and I dated his daughter in high school.

Tom married late in life, because durning WWII he got locked up for being a Man of Japanese descent. He got bused to Manzanar, a Japanese relocation center. Jose, his employee said he was Japanese too, and got sent to manzanar as well. He served 3 years there before being released with nothing. Jose rode with him, back to San Jose, and they started from zero. Tom painted a few pieces while locked up. I was given one, but donated it to Tom’s Methodist church in japan town in San Jose. Tom built his business back and never complained. I believe president Reagan compensated people like Tom, but he never cashed the check. It was chump change anyway. When Tom died 10 years ago, 5,000 plus people showed up to say farewell to a great man.

Slaves were not compensated, but as Tom used to say, I got things to do, no time to dwell on the past. Great man.

Leah, my ex high school girl friend and I attended Cal together, we followed Tom’s lead. His eldest daughter Meri also graduated from Cal. If I never met Tom, I wouldn’t be who I am today. Jose, his kids, and his whole clan showed up at Tom’s funeral. It was amazing.

There are some really amazing people out there. Let’s be those kinda people.

Great story, bro!!! There is indeed no time to dwell on the past. Let's keep it moving on the road to greatness!

Comment

Great story, bro!!! There is indeed no time to dwell on the past. Let's keep it moving on the road to greatness!
                For sure!.........

Comment

I know Islam doesn’t allow for the enslavement of other Muslims. I’ve read that too. But, don’t you think many of the slaves taken were not involved in wars against Islam? I know in theory that Muslims were supposed to free a slave as an act of atonement after doing something wrong, but how many Muslims actually practiced this in reality? How many Muslims do you know that pay Zakat? There is always a big divide between what one ought to do, and what one actually does.

Question: don’t you think the avg slave would gladly convert to Islam quickly to gain his freedom? That seems obvious to me, and maybe most people. Words vs deeds. I’d say the shahada and become a Muslim right away and avoid slavery. Who wouldn’t?

Many people didn’t start wars against Muslims, but tried to defend themselves. No crime there, right?

Here’s Thomas Sowell telling the truth about Islam and slavery.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWrfjUzYvPo

He’s quite knowledgeable, but keep an open mind.

Lastly, I’d rather not be attacked, enslaved or forced to become a Muslim.
                  Good answer, interesting points for me.
                  Looks like it all comes down to doing the most logical, i mean most financially beneficial; that's how the world spins after all.
                  Just like you said people doesn't always do what they are ordered and ought to, the script of a religion isn't a mirror on it's followers.
                  Nevertheless, Islam decreased slavery to a good minimum if not actually ended it.
                  In the middle ages there were serfs, in huge numbers, basically slaves who were granted barracks living as villagers or farmers, and it was practiced in Europe, Russia and East. It has always been a crucial part of humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
                    Good answer, interesting points for me.
                    Looks like it all comes down to doing the most logical, i mean most financially beneficial; that's how the world spins after all.
                    Just like you said people doesn't always do what they are ordered and ought to, the script of a religion isn't a mirror on it's followers.
                    Nevertheless, Islam decreased slavery to a good minimum if not actually ended it.
                    In the middle ages there were serfs, in huge numbers, basically slaves who were granted barracks living as villagers or farmers, and it was practiced in Europe, Russia and East. It has always been a crucial part of humanity.
                    The Japanese created a class if untouchables called burakumin, just so farmers who were the lowest class of people, could have someone to look down on.

Sad isn’t it!

Comment

tyson would have knocked him out

Comment

Working...
                      X