Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how insane is America's tipping culture?.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Tipping is customary. You don't have to do it, but if you want a good dining pace and someone who can recommend the better items on a menu than why not? You can blame the government, but if they increased wages than food costs go up. I've been in the restaurant business for 30 years....if my service sucks than the tip sucks. If someone is trying to give me a great experience and is on the ball I'll make sure they're taken care of. Serving is not an easy job by any means. These people put up with crap and smile back daily. It's easy to say they can get another job, but why should they? If you don't want to tip than go through the Wendy's drive thru. If you want an experience at a restaurant where a server makes you feel rich (even if you aren't) than take care of them because they're taking care of you. Like I said, the government makes these rates so don't take it out on the server. At least you can pick and choose what you're going to tip based on service. If everyone in this industry was making $15 an hour they wouldn't even bother trying and your bill would be at least 33% higher.
    Same people on here saying they don't tip and saying companies should pay waiters higher are against raising the minimum wage due to economic reasons. Same reasons you said. Those are the reasons they say. But here they are now, advocating for a raise, so they don't have to be pressured into giving $3-4 dollar tip on a $20 dollar meal. But when someone makes a thread that min wage should be raised, same little group is right there on the attack talking about "liberal" this and "liberal" that, and "keep it how it is cause economics".

Yet here they are, "nooo, i'm not tipping, raise their wages!"

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Paying/cancelling Netflix has nothing to do with tipping, not even as a very loosely based analogy. Someone losing their job over you not paying for the optional luxury that is Netflix is not the same as you going out to a restaurant and not tipping.
      You're suggesting I should give money for another persons upside despite what I wanna do or what I wanna support or not with my money. Doesn't matter if its for a "luxury" like Netflix or for tipping its ultimately my money.

I don't see how its not a fitting analogy. We just disagree about the importance of my tip not given & its importance to the person at the food joint I avoid vs my monthly charges with Netflix & the impact it could in theory have on people working at Netflix if I discontinue my subscription.

I say I ultimately personally can decide to support anything I want or not support anything I want on any principle I see as worthwhile or not. So if I think tipping is dumb I can avoid food joints that require tipping hence those places & those places employees don't see my money just like Netflix doesn't if I decide I'm not a fan of Netflix right now or from now on. Thats for sure a relevant stance & analogy cuz the topic at hand is how I wanna spend my money not if Netlix is a luxury & tipping isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
        Why have you accepted to subsidise the low wages of workers to increase profits of the greedy companies employing them?.

Why have you accepted tipping out of fear of some scrote tampering with your food if younwont?

Why are you tipping someone to pull you a pint or a valet to park your car?.

Why are you paying someone to open a door for you at a hotel?.

Tipping should only be used for extremely good out of the ordinary service.
        Without a tipping system, strip clubs would die. So **** all of you who don't like tipping and are willing to put all our future "nurses" out of work. :boobies:

Comment

Working...
        X