Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how insane is America's tipping culture?.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some establishments do more than the required minimum. a customer should do likewise.

/thread

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      What I don't get is the ever popular tip jar at the counter of convenience stores, coffee shops, deli/pizzeria, etc., when there is nothing being served to me at a table while seated. So I make a purchase at the counter and now I should tip you? **** that!

Otherwise, I am a generous tipper if service is good at restaurants, barbershop, bars, etc.
      Yeah I never really liked those top jars at counters. It's fast food.

I always tip well because I used to work for tips and I understand that tips can make you or break you. And especially because I know that not everyone tips.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
        Waitressing is the number one occupation for female non college graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get and make a living on.
        The job really sucks though. Running around on your feet all day. Also, your income depends on how busy it is and sometimes, restaurants are really slow. Might be quite hard to make a living on. You'd probably need another job on top of it.

The waitresses who work at the upscale restaurants, those are the ones making the real money. They probably bring in 60K a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
          Why have you accepted to subsidise the low wages of workers to increase profits of the greedy companies employing them?.

Why have you accepted tipping out of fear of some scrote tampering with your food if younwont?

Why are you tipping someone to pull you a pint or a valet to park your car?.

Why are you paying someone to open a door for you at a hotel?.

Tipping should only be used for extremely good out of the ordinary service.
          Food is cheap in the us for most part

No tips, higher salary, higher prices

It all evens out

Just tip u cheap bastard

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
            Yeah I never really liked those top jars at counters. It's fast food.

I always tip well because I used to work for tips and I understand that tips can make you or break you. And especially because I know that not everyone tips.
            You just throw your change in there anyway

No one really throw 15-20% in a tip jar

Comment

One thing you gotta keep in mind about these people is that they're probably gonna die poor. Why be a miserable **** with your money, we're all gonna die at the end. Nothing bad has happened to me for tipping. Only good comes of it especially if you're a repeat customer, they remember that face and tip you gave

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Tipping is bs. I avoid it as much as I can without looking like an A-hole.

Great service should be required of employees or you get fired, kinda like how sh^t works at any other job. And food joints should be paying employees a fair wage just like every other industry has to do.
                Na, the thing is they get below min wage, their money IS in tips.

You don't tip a Micky D's employee, or a Popeyes, Taco Bell, Chipotle employee, but you do tip an I-Hop waiter/waitress. These people make like $4 something an hour.

Yes food restaurants should be paying more money to their waiters and waitresses but they don't, now the question becomes do you make the waiter/waitress pay for the companies greed? Another question becomes, do you actually care about the companies greed, or are you just being cheap, keeping those few extra dollars for yourself out of greed? So you're being what you are accusing the company of being.

Also, you have to realize, these are either kids getting experience or older people who aren't qualified to be accountants or have the job you have, for what ever reason. Mistakes, ex cons, had kids too young and are trying to get by, lack of education, grew up in poverty around dumb people etc. At the end of the day, how much does it hurt you to let go of those extra dollars versus how much will it hurt the server for not getting those extra dollars? Are you impoverished, okay you get a pass, you got $10 bucks to eat and you got nothing else on you so you had to buy something in a res and couldn't give tip. But money is not an issue for you and you refuse to tip your server because of some false, pretentious reason about "you gotta earn your money", then really shame on you. Jobs carried out by humans are dying, people complain about machines taking over, etc, but then the same people put down other people for working and trying to make a living by serving.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
                  Waitressing is the number one occupation for female non college graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get and make a living on.
                  I mean I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would appear to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. If you show me a piece of paper that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non-college bullshit you're givin' me, I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post
                    15-20% is primarily for good service by your waiter.

Everything else is more like....it's $12.50 for haircut, so give $15 and call it a day. Or the total for your pizza delivery is $21.35, so $25 will do.
                    $21.35 for your pizza be $25 regardless with that BS "delivery fee" that is not even for the deliveryman, it's the delivery fee for Papa John's, Domino's, Pizza Hut company. Pisses me off but I still tip the delivery guy. You need to prepare to spend like $6-7 in delivery fees/tips for top brand pizza nowadays.

You see Chinese food have "free delivery" so it's easier to say **** it, and just tip them well, cause the company isn't charging you $3-5 for delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      now the question becomes do you make the waiter/waitress pay for the companies greed?
                      Yes. I avoid any food joint that has waitresses/waiters as often as I can. I don't like the concept as I've stated + I do feel like an A-hole not tipping mfers or barely tipping mfers.

I think a market correction happens upon more people doing like I'm doing is the thing too. If we all just feel guilty & like we gotta help pay these other peoples bills cuz their employer won't & support companies doing something I don't agree with as a business model then this bs model keeps moving forward.

Another question becomes, do you actually care about the companies greed, or are you just being cheap, keeping those few extra dollars for yourself out of greed? So you're being what you are accusing the company of being.
                      Not really. I believe I'm completing my side of the unspoken consumer agreement by coming in, ordering food & paying for that food. I do that at many places & no extra money needs to exchange hands.

Why do these other places get away with making up their own rules? Whats the difference between the chick at Subway who takes my order & makes my sub vs the chick at the greasy spoon who takes my order & has someone else make it & brings it to me? Why shouldn't Subway employees get paid badly & work off of tips or better yet how about everyone just gets paid & the expectation is good service keeps me coming back instead of good service makes you an extra couple dollars today.

how much does it hurt you to let go of those extra dollars versus how much will it hurt the server for not getting those extra dollars?
                      Idk the server almost 100% of the time, but why should my decisions depend on his/her situation with picking a job that pays his/her in a outdated way? Thats like saying I should feel bad for canceling Netlfix cuz my lil $10/mo might be the straw that broke that camels back on someone losing their job at Netflix. Ultimately I gotta make decisions for me & the server gots to make decisions for her/him.

Comment

Working...
                      X